Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Two wheels good.

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 am

Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Look at this beauty!!! So smooth and quiet it's a joy to use and doesn't even need screwing to a bench!
[/img]

Screw it down anyway. The last thing you want is it grabbing a bolt and jumping onto your hands with that wire brush.

Speaking of which... have you been finding lots of lovely brass darts stuck in your clothes or does it spin slowly enough not to be a cnut like that?



Ok. I'll try and find space for it but it's 45cms wide. Looks like I'm going to need a bigger bench.

No brass darts. No nothing. No complaints. It really is a lovely bit of kit.

It doesnt need to be a permanent attachment... a couple of holes in the bench top, some long bolts and some wing nuts and you can remove it when not in use...


Ah. Good idea. Ta.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Look at this beauty!!! So smooth and quiet it's a joy to use and doesn't even need screwing to a bench!
[/img]

Screw it down anyway. The last thing you want is it grabbing a bolt and jumping onto your hands with that wire brush.

Speaking of which... have you been finding lots of lovely brass darts stuck in your clothes or does it spin slowly enough not to be a cnut like that?



Ok. I'll try and find space for it but it's 45cms wide. Looks like I'm going to need a bigger bench.

No brass darts. No nothing. No complaints. It really is a lovely bit of kit.

It doesnt need to be a permanent attachment... a couple of holes in the bench top, some long bolts and some wing nuts and you can remove it when not in use...


Ah. Good idea. Ta.


Yeah. Gotta have the space too for the welder when it finally arrives. :thumbup:
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7362
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:06 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Look at this beauty!!! So smooth and quiet it's a joy to use and doesn't even need screwing to a bench!
[/img]

Screw it down anyway. The last thing you want is it grabbing a bolt and jumping onto your hands with that wire brush.

Speaking of which... have you been finding lots of lovely brass darts stuck in your clothes or does it spin slowly enough not to be a cnut like that?



Ok. I'll try and find space for it but it's 45cms wide. Looks like I'm going to need a bigger bench.

No brass darts. No nothing. No complaints. It really is a lovely bit of kit.

It doesnt need to be a permanent attachment... a couple of holes in the bench top, some long bolts and some wing nuts and you can remove it when not in use...


Ah. Good idea. Ta.


Yeah. Gotta have the space too for the welder when it finally arrives. :thumbup:


Calm down. I've already blown a lot on a special riveter for the floor runners AND a special tool to put on the legshield trim.
Neither will burn/blind/electrocute me either!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 am

oooh! A real cock up! Honestly!

As you know I've changed all of the bearings. In the left hand side there are 3. 2 of them have the same external diameter but different internal diameter. Guess who got them the wrong way around? Yay! Knobhead! But it took me less than 3 minutes to pop and swap them. Bonkers.

Anyway after that I did some cleaning and spraying.
Foot brake
Image
Image

Exhaust
Image
Image

Mudguard crest
Image
Image

Also the fan cover
Image


After that I assembled the rear brake.
Image

2 hours. No problems. Wtf?


Off to Italy for the weekend so no reports for a while but the tins will be going in for paint next week! Then the rebuild can start. And we all know how much shit can happen then!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:17 am

Good work there ID.

You're getting pretty good at this now, are you going to get something more ambitious after this one?
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7362
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:32 am

tanglerat wrote:Good work there ID.

You're getting pretty good at this now, are you going to get something more ambitious after this one?


More ambitious? I've done the most difficult restores in this model: rebuilding someone else's half-done and I'm now doing a dog from scratch. I suppose to be more ambitious I'd have to change to a large frame (PX- the Mod scooter) which I've never liked or go for earlier stuff where the projects and parts are rarer and much more expensive.

Another way would be to build a fast one but you never make money at that.

Or. Maybe build a replica SS90.

Image

Image


It's the ultimate smallframe and real ones go for 15k and up. It has a fast engine, slimmer front legshield and shorter bars along with the crazy spare wheel and tank you can see.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:16 am

Loads of parts arrived so I started with the front brake:

Image

Then refitted all of the switch and springs to the foot brake
Image

The new kick starter cog had arrived meaning I could start reassembling the engine.
I wasn't sure how far I'd got so not wanting to miss anything I played the YT video of the reassembly.
All going well until I see him fit a circlip into the inner side of the clutch drive.
WTF?
Replay.
Check the blueprints.
Confirmed. There is a missing circlip. I bagged and labelled every bit of this engine so it means that the fvcknut who "rebuilt" it didn't fit it. Incredible! Thank god the idiot never got around to starting it.

Obvs this means that I'll have to double check everything I do.

Parts won't arrive until next Thurs and I'm busy so maybe I can get something done a week on Sunday.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 am

Good catch on the circlip!
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7362
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:41 am

tanglerat wrote:Good catch on the circlip!


I think if it had been the red one, I would have missed it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 am

Sigh. Yet another uneventful day in the workshop.
Here we see the circlip fitted
Image

Gear shaft and gears fitted without a hitch
Image

Clutch and primary gear fitted after dicking about trying to use the wrong woodruf key. (A little wedge of metal that slots onto the drive shaft. The clutch centre has a notch in it and you have to line up the two)
Image

I fitted the gasket using only grease as the casing faces looked clean and flush. Apparently this is the way to do it instead of silicone shit. The casings slipped together very easily then the bolts were torqued down/up
Image

Primary drive and clutch drive nuts fitted and torqued. Gasket fitted and ready for closure.
Image

Rear hub fitted but I did have trouble with one nut that cross threaded and then decided to undo the stud as I tried to unthread it. Popped the stud back in, changed the nut and all was good again.
Image

With the engine all closed, everything moves as it should so I should be fitting the head and stator on Sunday.

Body is in for paint and should be back in about 10 days.

I have decided to go for total originality so the footplate runners will be fitted with rivets and the special vespa rivet tool I bought. Also the chrome bead surround on the front leg shield will be "squashed" on instead of screwed using my special Vespa beading tool. Loads of opportunity for cock-ups!!

Watch this space!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 am

I sometimes use a vespa forum for special help and I've been posting up my build there. It's not as busy as here so responses can sometimes take a week.

I checked in yesterday morning only to find a post on my build thread.

"You've put the crankshaft oil seal on back to front"

Shitbuggeryfvckingdickhead!

Sunday morning will be spent doing the following:
1. remove hub
2. remove clutch cover
3. remove clutch bolt and plates
4. remove 12 engine bolts
5. split cases
6. remove crank.
7. flip the oil seal
then doing the reverse of the above.

Obviously I have underestimated the wickedness of the blue bastard.
It's really clever. Rather than fvck me over at every turn, it waits and waits, lulls me into a false sense of security and then

BANG! Got you! Undo all that you tosser!

Shit.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 am

Il Duce wrote:"You've put the crankshaft oil seal on back to front"

Shitbuggeryfvckingdickhead!

Sunday morning will be spent doing the following:
1. remove hub
2. remove clutch cover
3. remove clutch bolt and plates
4. remove 12 engine bolts
5. split cases
6. remove crank.
7. flip the oil seal
then doing the reverse of the above.

Obviously I have underestimated the wickedness of the blue bastard.
It's really clever. Rather than fvck me over at every turn, it waits and waits, lulls me into a false sense of security and then

BANG! Got you! Undo all that you tosser!

Shit.

And in a weeks' time someone else will post, saying the the other guys is an idiot and it'll work fine either way around!
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 5989
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:"You've put the crankshaft oil seal on back to front"

Shitbuggeryfvckingdickhead!

Sunday morning will be spent doing the following:
1. remove hub
2. remove clutch cover
3. remove clutch bolt and plates
4. remove 12 engine bolts
5. split cases
6. remove crank.
7. flip the oil seal
then doing the reverse of the above.

Obviously I have underestimated the wickedness of the blue bastard.
It's really clever. Rather than fvck me over at every turn, it waits and waits, lulls me into a false sense of security and then

BANG! Got you! Undo all that you tosser!

Shit.

And in a weeks' time someone else will post, saying the the other guys is an idiot and it'll work fine either way around!


Nope. Other members concur, plus he's the site admin and knows his shit.
Checked my photos of the stripdown, plus a YT video and they are right.
Seems I got a bit cocky.
Next time I'll clean it with the old bearings in place then have the new bearings ready and replace like for like, one by one.

Only plus side is I won't make that mistake again.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:22 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:"You've put the crankshaft oil seal on back to front"

Shitbuggeryfvckingdickhead!

Sunday morning will be spent doing the following:
1. remove hub
2. remove clutch cover
3. remove clutch bolt and plates
4. remove 12 engine bolts
5. split cases
6. remove crank.
7. flip the oil seal
then doing the reverse of the above.

Obviously I have underestimated the wickedness of the blue bastard.
It's really clever. Rather than fvck me over at every turn, it waits and waits, lulls me into a false sense of security and then

BANG! Got you! Undo all that you tosser!

Shit.

And in a weeks' time someone else will post, saying the the other guys is an idiot and it'll work fine either way around!


This is fcuking great. I can't wait to see how this one turns out!
Just when he seemed to be getting on top of all this restro-stuff, and BOOM! :hehe:
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7362
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 am

Engine opened, seal flipped and closed in 1 hour 30 mins.

Image

Piston fitted
Image

Cooling fins fitted
Image

All ready to torque the head nuts.

After that I have to fit the exhaust, and inlet, stator, flywheel and rear wheel.
Oh and do the timing.. guaranteed laughs there!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 am

That oil seal sounds like the sort of thing I'd do, except I'd take it out, laugh about how stupid I've been, then put it back in the same way again...
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15208
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 am

Another uneventful day.
Head and cooling fins fitted and torqued. Rear hub fitted.
Image

Exhaust fitted. Sexy banana!
Image

Stator fitted and wires pulled through and rubber grommets fitted
Image

Flywheel fitted
Image

I had a new inlet tract I thought I'd fit but when I popped it on I had loads of bolt left over, then when removing the nuts one of them decided to remove the stub with it. No problem I had a tool coming to put those back in so i left it. I thought about ordering new shorter studs. But.....
Image

Here's the reason there was too much stud left. Old one on the left has much deeper shoulders for some reason. I'm glad I didn't bother trying to remove the stud and fit new ones because, by chance I tried to fit the carb to the new inlet tract and it didn't fit. Another lucky escape!
So I need to clean up the old inlet, reinstall the stud and then fit.
Image

Sunday might be carb renovation day. Lots of tiny parts to drop, lose and be unable to refit so watch this space!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am

Good progress. Carbs can be a complete pain in the tits because tiny parts. clean workbench with a white sheet on it, and ideally a lip attached to the edge of the bench to catch any bits making a run for the floor. Also have some containers ready to put screws etc in. It'll be fine.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:19 am

Smashing progress ID, well done.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17082
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:47 am

Aesgarth wrote:Good progress. Carbs can be a complete pain in the tits because tiny parts. clean workbench with a white sheet on it, and ideally a lip attached to the edge of the bench to catch any bits making a run for the floor. Also have some containers ready to put screws etc in. It'll be fine.


Thanks. I had all those on my list except the bench lip- good tip!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Smashing progress ID, well done.


Fvcking boring though isn't it?

I thought the bench grinder might cause chaos but nope.



Shut up! I'm NOT buying a welder ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:31 am

I was double busy on Sunday so only managed an hour in the workshop.

Cleaned up the inlet tract
Image
Image

And then fitted the sleeve that will connect it to the carb.
Refitted the stud using my specialist stud fitting socket: no more using double nuts and wrecking the thread...yay!
Image

Whilst fitting the gear cable adjusters I moved the clutch lever and it felt wrong.
Off with the wheel hub, backing plate and exhaust just to get at one remaining bolt on the clutch cover.
Opened it up and it was all ok. I'm going mad. I hope.

Put it all back on then realised that I won't be able to get the wheel on with the exhaust in place. Problem when you have a puncture I though!
After some research I found out that you have to split the exhaust half way along to do it and it's a shit of a job.
looking at the nut and bolt I see the nuts are welded to the exhaust flange. Luckily, before I started grinding it to shit, I realised that this is so you only have to get one spanner up under the body, for the bolt, to remove the back part of the exhaust when you change a wheel.
You can see the join in this photo.
Image

That's about it for this episode. Bodywork is in primer and should get painted this week. Chaos and cock-ups loom!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 am

Nice one. Having the right tool for the job is so important.

Make sure you use a hardened steel clutch lever so that it doesn't wear prematurely as you are riding it whilst riding it.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:58 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:Having the right tool for the job is so important.


Wrong thread, reported.
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 17511
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am

Laugh. I'm sure ID's stud removal tool could be invaluable in that other thread.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:Nice one. Having the right tool for the job is so important.

Make sure you use a hardened steel clutch lever so that it doesn't wear prematurely as you are riding it whilst riding it.



I shall also use my hardened-steel cock while riding your wife.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 am

I tidied the workshop today so I only managed to do this:

Image
Image


BUT I did fit a new tool racking system. Sexy!
Image


Carburettor refurb on Thursday so expect some laughs.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am

Carb Service!

Strip down first. Filter off.
Image

Top off then remove the slide and spring
Image
Image
Image

Bottom off. Float, hinge pin and needle valve out
Image

New float pin and valve in.
Image

New gasket fitted
Image

Bottom back on
Image

Slide and spring and new gasket re installed
Image

Top fitted
Image

New cork gasket fitted
Image

Jets refitted after cleaning.
Image

Final reassembly. Obvs everything was blasted with carb cleaner and I used a jet cleaner tool for the jets.
Image

Piece of piss! Except I found that the choke assembly was missing.
See the set of bits that goes 33,32,44 etc. All bastard missing.
This means the choke will either be always on or off so starting it wasn't an option.
"do it right the first time!"
Image

Anyway, here is the carb fitted and the essential wiring and HT lead fitted to enable it to be started.
Don't worry my little OCD'ers, there are covers and clips for all of it and the blue CDI goes in the side tool box so
you won't even see it when I finish. I also lengthened the front mounts on the stand (white bits on the right) as the kickstarter was hitting the floor before making a full kick. I'm going to make proper ones on Sunday from flat bar.
Image

Finally I assembled the front wheel to go with the rear.
Image


All too easy. I MUST be going to get fvckedover when I start the body assembly.
Or the engine is going to implode when I start it.
<eastenders doof doof doof do do do doof end theme>
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Il Duce wrote: I'm going to make proper ones on Sunday from flat bar.


Look at you now, crafting replacement components yourself. Flat bar? That welder is coming closer and closer.

Proud of you man. Proud!

<wipes tear from corner of eye>

You should put a tail rotor on that thing, for sure.
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7362
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm

oops.
Last edited by tanglerat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7362
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles