New phone help

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: New phone help

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 am

Hello!

I've just gone onto a 12 month SIM-only contact (ee; unlimited + unlimited + 4GB; £9.99), and now I need to decide whether to buy a new phone or limp on for a while with my almost-three-year-old Moto X-Play.

It's there anything remarkable I should look at? Currently I'm tempted by the new Moto E4 Plus, but who knows? Not me.

You, maybe?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 am

You clearly need to spend a thousand pounds on the new iPhone X, Damo.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by spast1kunt @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 am

Shouldn't smartphones be getting cheaper rather than more expensive?
spast1kunt

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am

A grand for the cheap version of a phone is ridiculous, and I say that as a chronic early adopting spendthrift.
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Hello!

I've just gone onto a 12 month SIM-only contact (ee; unlimited + unlimited + 4GB; £9.99), and now I need to decide whether to buy a new phone or limp on for a while with my almost-three-year-old Moto X-Play.

It's there anything remarkable I should look at? Currently I'm tempted by the new Moto E4 Plus, but who knows? Not me.

You, maybe?

I'm on a sim only deal too (similar to yours but massive data allowance) and my 6+ is juuust starting to crash every now and then. Weirdly it's the first iphone I've had that is still as fast as it was on day one but I'm starting to see the writing on the wall for it. I went into Vodafone to get the 7+ and it was £819 and it dawned on me how long I'd been on corporate deals before with new phones given to me every year or so.

People are actually paying £800 for phones! People much poorer than me. It's insane!!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

The Moto E4 I like is £130

Now I feel like a poor.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

You, maybe?

I'm on a sim only deal too (similar to yours but massive data allowance) and my 6+ is juuust starting to crash every now and then. Weirdly it's the first iphone I've had that is still as fast as it was on day one but I'm starting to see the writing on the wall for it. I went into Vodafone to get the 7+ and it was £819 and it dawned on me how long I'd been on corporate deals before with new phones given to me every year or so.

People are actually paying £800 for phones! People much poorer than me. It's insane!!

I'm on a sim only deal and do some sort of Apple lease thing where I pay £40 for my 7+ and then change it every year. I don't know whether it's worth it or not but I like paying 3 as little money as possible
Bodhi

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am

Bodhi wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

You, maybe?

I'm on a sim only deal and do some sort of Apple lease thing where I pay £40 for my 7+ and then change it every year. I don't know whether it's worth it or not but I like paying 3 as little money as possible

That's interesting thanks - any further deets? . £500/year is still a lot but that's the world we're in!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 am

I switched from Apple to Samsung and I'm still delighted.
I was on a sim only and went on ebay and bought a new A3 for £240 from Ireland as it had dual sim capability.
Lasts two days on a charge too!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

Apparently the one I'm looking at does too, but that only vaguely feels relevant to when I go camping and have no electricity apart from the charger socket in my car.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

I have a Moto G 4G.

It's a pretty sturdy thing. I've dropped mines (including in the bath) and it still works, mostly.

The camera is a bit pants though and it has rubbish storage. You will need to buy a memory card.

Also I replaced the OS to use LineageOS for reasons I can't remember. I was having some issue with the standard OS that was bugging me. With LineageOS its great.

So I would avoid the Moto G 4G.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 am

Incidentally, why do some Scottish people say 'mines' instead of 'mine'? I've always wondered as it's not a highland thing, I don't think.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by stuart @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 am

Disastrous wrote:Incidentally, why do some Scottish people say 'mines' instead of 'mine'? I've always wondered as it's not a highland thing, I don't think.

Interesting, I think if i was saying out loud I would probably say 'mine' but now I'm doing that thing in my head where you can't think how you would actually say it. You've poisoned my brain and now I don't know what to believe about myself.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:23 am

stuart wrote:
Disastrous wrote:Incidentally, why do some Scottish people say 'mines' instead of 'mine'? I've always wondered as it's not a highland thing, I don't think.

Interesting, I think if i was saying out loud I would probably say 'mine' but now I'm doing that thing in my head where you can't think how you would actually say it. You've poisoned my brain and now I don't know what to believe about myself.

A tragic end to your trajectory, stuart!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by spast1kunt @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

RIP in peace stuart. We shall not know his like again but now he is with the angles and Grandad in hevun.

spast1kunt

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

You, maybe?

That's interesting thanks - any further deets? . £500/year is still a lot but that's the world we're in!

here you go you massively lazy shit

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program
Last edited by Bodhi on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodhi

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

You, maybe?

here you go you massively lazy shit

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Thanks, you rotten shit.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by moleamol @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 pm

DaTho, I got my mum a Honor 6X which you may not have heard of but Google it. Absolutely incredible VFM and I feel like an idiot paying for the top HTC when in the real world the 6X is mostly as good.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Strawman @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 pm

The main new feature of the iPhone X seems to be facial recognition software. I guess they aren't aware of the Your face meme.

Strawman

Post by moleamol @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Strawman wrote:The main new feature of the iPhone X seems to be facial recognition software. I guess they aren't aware of the Your face meme.

Didn't it also fail on a massive release recently?
moleamol

Post by Strawman @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Strawman

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:44 pm

For anyone not into iPhones, I would say that the Oneplus 5 is currently the correct answer to the "What phone?" question. £500 and with very good performance and specs and no pre-installed shite a la Samsung.

In truth it's also the correct answer for most people who are into iPhones, but I'm not going to get into that.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 pm

But it's five. hundred. pounds .

How is it £370 better than the Moto I'm looking at? Genuine question.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by moleamol @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:But it's five. hundred. pounds .

Did you look at the one I posted? WELL?
moleamol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 pm

moleamol wrote:

Of course. But again it's more money and didn't seem to offer much more. Dunno!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by moleamol @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
moleamol wrote:

Of course. But again it's more money and didn't seem to offer much more. Dunno!

The one you posted does look pretty good, one thing putting me off is the terrible PPI. The screen on the Honor is excellent, which I find important for something I look at a lot. Go and look at them you lazy shit.
moleamol

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:For anyone not into iPhones, I would say that the Oneplus 5 is currently the correct answer to the "What phone?" question. £500 and with very good performance and specs and no pre-installed shite a la Samsung.

In truth it's also the correct answer for most people who are into iPhones, but I'm not going to get into that.

I had a Oneplus 2 and it was great until I started having battery issues with it, in Singapore there is no physical after sales support and as it was two weeks out of warranty the remote support were no help either. Real shame as it felt really well put together and the software was almost bloat free. It was doubly annoying as I'd literally just pulled the trigger on a Oneplus X for my wife before mine decided to shit itself. We're both on Samsung S7's now and they do what we need seem to be relatively drop and water resistant and for the 300 extra to switch to an S8 I can't see any reason to change.
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by dave_s13 @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am

I've got a Moto G4 plus and it's great.

My Mrs just got a Moto G5 and that's great too.

It's just works, the camera is half decent and they cost about £150 (from Tesco).

If you're sim only and don't want to spend loads they are Ideal. Oh and when I was looking the Moto e4s USP is the battery life but the screen and camera are not as good as the G series phone.
dave_s13

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:32 am

Echoes my thoughts Dave. My wife has a G4 and it seems brilliant for the sort of use she and I would both put a phone through - browsing, email, calls, camera.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Me. @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 am

I just traded 'up' from an Xperia Z3 to whatever the newer one is, also an Xperia of sorts. I only did so because I hate having to get used to how the damn things work only in time to trade again, so I'm constantly playing catch-up. The new one though is crap, it stalls, freezes and wtf is this thing with Messaging? Every time I try to text it asks me if I want to change to messenger, when I say no it doesn't give a shit and stops me from texting unless I say yes. I hate it and the almost Apple-esq software that tries to force you into crap you don't want. With any luck I'll kill it soon and go back to the old one. If it weren't for the photo side of things I'd quite happily go back to an old Motorola V70 I have still with its tiny leather pouch. For some reason this damn thing has decided not to accept emails unless I open the email app and then it floods with all the old emails from the last time I opened it.
Me.

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets