An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:55 pm

My Fortnite-ing has been on pc, yes. As is Dirty Bomb and Unreal Tournament and Warface. And as of Thursday night the now free-to-play and impossibly stupid H1Z1.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:52 pm

I've given up on Destiny 2. Boring, and I really don't like the floaty jump mechanic. Been back in Titanfall 2, which is just so much more actual fun.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 am

Damien Thorn wrote:impossibly stupid H1Z1.

Been playing this a little more in order to hold my own with my son, who has played it for hours at his friends' houses. It feels really basic, with jonky movement and crude, ugly graphics. I managed to score a top 15 finish yesterday in the same way I get anywhere in Fortnite - by wandering about aimlessly on my own not seeing any other players. And then suddenly happening across someone and having a three-second panic of jumping and shooting before I'm dead.

I'm not enticed to play much more, but possibly it'll reveal a little bit more of a skill floor with a few more games.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by LotusNova @ Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Is anyone here playing Star Citizen? Still in alpha at the mo, but looks promising
LotusNova

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I managed to score a top 15 finish yesterday in the same way I get anywhere in Fortnite - by wandering about aimlessly on my own not seeing any other players. And then suddenly happening across someone and having a three-second panic of jumping and shooting before I'm dead.

This accurately describes my BR experiences. Drop away from the busy areas, sneak about finding things, chop a few trees and keep out of everyone’s way until I have to rush for the circle. See someone, jump, shoot, die. Sounds shit but strangely addictive.

eta I had a fun game recently where the circle just formed around me every time and I hid as a bush whilst everyone around me killed each other.
Last edited by thekungfury on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Fortnite is coming to mobile. Just iOS for now and invite only. Sign up here. https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/mobile/sign-up
thekungfury

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 pm

I downloaded Dirty Bomb at the weekend as it sounded good. The intro and tutorial were all pretty good but then I played an actual round of the game and quickly remembered why I don't like computer games. Uninstalled it and went back to trying to learn German.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 pm

disappointedface

What is it about computer games that you don't like that Dirty Bomb embodies manfrom? I still like it a lot.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 pm

Mainly the thought that I was really bad at it and to get good would have taken loads of time, time I could spend doing something useful...

...having said that playing guitar isn't exactly useful and I spend hours and hours doing that.

I think I'd have preferred it if it wasn't multi player.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm

CJ+ wrote:I've given up on Destiny 2. Boring, and I really don't like the floaty jump mechanic. Been back in Titanfall 2, which is just so much more actual fun.

Bah rubbish! I still love Destiny 2. Hated Titanfall.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm

CJ+ wrote:I've given up on Destiny 2. Boring, and I really don't like the floaty jump mechanic. Been back in Titanfall 2, which is just so much more actual fun.

Bah rubbish! I still love Destiny 2. Hated Titanfall.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:25 pm

I got an invite code for the iOS version and downloaded it this evening. It’s much harder on a touch screen than with mouse and keyboard. But...

One shot at one player throughout the entire game. Boom!
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Well done old giffer.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:22 am

Damien Thorn wrote:rofl!

I've got a new favourite computer game, btw: Dirty Bomb.

It's yet another free to play fps, but unlike so many others there's no death match, there's no single player campaign, and there's definitely no flavour-of-the-month battle royale.

There is only team vs team objective based challenges. It's not about kill ratio. It's not about weapon upgrades. It's all about being part of a team and successfully accomplishing objectives. You get xp for helping and guarding one another.

It's ace. It's so fast-paced that the help forums actually recommend you don't even bother aiming. Just keep moving, running, jumping, reloading and staying alive to protect your teammates.

It's free, and you can get anything you'd buy with micro transactions through pure grind and playtime. But the grind isn't a slog, it's a hoot.

I haven't enjoyed a game so much for ages and it's made me immediately bin off Fortnite, Unreal, Warface and Dying Light.

Kirbs, give it a go.

I am still playing this as much as I can (which isn't all that much), and to the utter exclusion of any other games. I love it.

I try to have a game a day, mostly in order to ensure I get daily play loot bonuses. Not because it isn't fun, because it is - superbly. But because I'm more likely to find fifteen spare minutes in the evening to have one game than I am to find an hour or so to play several in one go.

Has anybody else tried it yet (apart from manfrom)?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 am

I played Dirty Bomb a few times but didn't take to it. Run, shoot, die, refresh.

It didn't feel like a team game to me. Just individuals either in blue/red(?) running round independently. Maybe I got unlucky with teammates.

My spare time gameplay is PUBG or Fornite on the iPad.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:51 am

Oh, that's a shame.

I agree you certainly can end up on a team from time to time where it literally feels like you're trying to achieve the objectives single handedly.

But I've had way more games where I've been relying on medics to revive me, or found that my team manages the objectives before I can seem to do anything useful.

It's certainly most fun when it all just clicks; you find yourself defending an area setting up your ammo supply station, and then a team mate sets up a medical station there, and then another drops proximity mines at the entrances.

It really feels collaborative then.

And that's ace.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:rofl!

I've got a new favourite computer game, btw: Dirty Bomb.

It's yet another free to play fps, but unlike so many others there's no death match, there's no single player campaign, and there's definitely no flavour-of-the-month battle royale.

There is only team vs team objective based challenges. It's not about kill ratio. It's not about weapon upgrades. It's all about being part of a team and successfully accomplishing objectives. You get xp for helping and guarding one another.

It's ace. It's so fast-paced that the help forums actually recommend you don't even bother aiming. Just keep moving, running, jumping, reloading and staying alive to protect your teammates.

It's free, and you can get anything you'd buy with micro transactions through pure grind and playtime. But the grind isn't a slog, it's a hoot.

I haven't enjoyed a game so much for ages and it's made me immediately bin off Fortnite, Unreal, Warface and Dying Light.

Kirbs, give it a go.

I am still playing this as much as I can (which isn't all that much), and to the utter exclusion of any other games. I love it.

I try to have a game a day, mostly in order to ensure I get daily play loot bonuses. Not because it isn't fun, because it is - superbly. But because I'm more likely to find fifteen spare minutes in the evening to have one game than I am to find an hour or so to play several in one go.

Has anybody else tried it yet (apart from manfrom)?

Obvs I played it before over the period of a couple of days. I was just so shit at it that I hated it.
Unless they divide games like that into skill levels so you only get dropped with fellow beginners they are a complete waste of time.
But for me in that game the disparity between good and bad people was so massive you became cannon fodder. I found it strangely addictive to start with and then suddenly got instahate
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:56 pm

There is reputedly a match making system for players, but apparently there might as well not be. So you could get beginners or experts - although you can often tell how much someone has played when you see their character loadouts at the start of a match - you can earn upgrades, so you'll see what someone's achieved.

I also find that the character you choose to play has a massive effect. There are some I hate - they feel weak and wretched and I can't make their abilities work for me effectively - and yet they are devastatingly horrible to play against when they're in the enemy side.

But others I really enjoy using. I suppose it just depends on what suits your play style - for me a stealthy hidey thoughtful tentative style works.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 am

not entirely relevant to the contents of this thread but i went and found the first games console I bought for myself - a Sega Master System - in my parents loft yesterday. Got it home and (after 25 minutes to find a coax cable) had a play with it last night.

First point is that it works and so do all the games I've tried so far. This is an improvement on how i remember it being when i put it in the box about 20 years ago

Second point is the picture quality is shit (I'm not talking about the graphics, which are also shit) but that could be down to a dodgy coax cable so i', going to have a go at improving that

Third point is the games seem really hard. I'm not sure if it's the shitty little square controllers, the fact i'm not used to them or the fact the games are actually hard.

More later.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by stuart @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am

Aesgarth wrote:not entirely relevant to the contents of this thread but i went and found the first games console I bought for myself - a Sega Master System - in my parents loft yesterday. Got it home and (after 25 minutes to find a coax cable) had a play with it last night.

First point is that it works and so do all the games I've tried so far. This is an improvement on how i remember it being when i put it in the box about 20 years ago

Second point is the picture quality is shit (I'm not talking about the graphics, which are also shit) but that could be down to a dodgy coax cable so i', going to have a go at improving that

Third point is the games seem really hard. I'm not sure if it's the shitty little square controllers, the fact i'm not used to them or the fact the games are actually hard.

More later.

I have the sega collection on PS3.

yes, the graphics are basic, but I think they are pretty good! Some games like Sonic have aged really well IMO.

They are hard though! Games have got massivelyeasier.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Previous

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets