Smart watches - anyone got one?

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Smart watches - anyone got one?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:47 pm

I don’t have any massive desire for one but my wife asked if I want one for Xmas and it’s got me thinking.

I’m an iPhone user but don’t like the design, battery life or cost of an iWatch.

All the others seem flawed in terms of matching up with your phone and most seem to be massive.

I quite like the look of the Samsung Galaxy watch (with a better strap)

And the Huawei Watch GT

The Samsung will apparently give you up to 4-5 days of juice and the Huawei a potential 2wks. The trade-off is they are both 46mm and chunky to house all the battery and heart sensors. I’ve not tried one on but my daily 42mm sits comfortably on my wrists and any bigger starts to look a bit Flava Flav.

Samsung does a 42mm version but the battery is around half the size.

Thoughts and experiences?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Re: Smart watches - anyone got one?

Post by Strawman @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:29 pm

I briefly used a cheap android copy of an apple watch, it looked fairly shit just like the original iWatch, and while useful for reading text messages and emails it was tricky to disconnect it from the phone without dropping a call, or I wasn't sure how to do it, so I binned it after a few days.
ETA- I do like the idea of a heart monitor for exercise though which this thing didn't have.
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:42 pm

I mainly want it for the hrm tbh. I can’t see that I’ll be reading/sending messages on a watch or making calls on it.

The Samsung also has Strava and Spotify apps which might come in handy. Although I already have them on my phone so don’t really know when or why I’d use them.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Wouldn’t a Fitbit do what you want ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 pm

thekungfury wrote:I mainly want it for the hrm tbh. I can’t see that I’ll be reading/sending messages on a watch or making calls on it.

The Samsung also has Strava and Spotify apps which might come in handy. Although I already have them on my phone so don’t really know when or why I’d use them.

So you won’t be triaging your emails at your wrist.

Mr C has an Apple 3 watch and says he’s pretty happy with it. He uses it for the heart rate stuff and is really pleased with the recording of bike rides and steps as he says it’s a lot more accurate than the fitbug thing he used to use. It’s linked in with Apple health which is in turn linked in with our Vitality stuff.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:56 pm

I was given an original Apple Watch and thought it was pointless.

I’ve just ordered a 4 as after three years I use it religiously and am completely wedded to it. Brilliant thing.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:11 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Wouldn’t a Fitbit do what you want ?

Apart from looking good, yes. I want to wear some tech on my wrist but I don’t want it to look like tech.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 am

Charging your watch!

Oh bugger that.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by dirtyboy @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am

Garmin Fenix.

I've not worn a different watch since I got it.

The new ones have the same 'apple pay' type technology too. Battery life is more than I worry about unless i've been out for a ride all day and running gps but I probably charge it once a week either sat at my desk or overnight and I use for tracking cycling running and swimming most days.

Plenty of screen options.

Not as pretty as Apple, but functional.
dirtyboy

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Second what DB says about the Fenix, I went from a Fitbit Surge to a Fenix 5+ Ti and I'm very happy with it, they do a smaller version but it's battery isn't as good. I ended up disabling the notifications as it's annoying at night when I'm getting emails from clients in different time zones.

I mostly use it for keeping an eye on HR and tracking my rides, it has a decent sleep tracker too.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Dr Wolff @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm

dirtyboy wrote:Garmin Fenix.

I've not worn a different watch since I got it.

The new ones have the same 'apple pay' type technology too. Battery life is more than I worry about unless i've been out for a ride all day and running gps but I probably charge it once a week either sat at my desk or overnight and I use for tracking cycling running and swimming most days.

Plenty of screen options.

Not as pretty as Apple, but functional.
Tell me more about the swimming;
Is it properly waterproof?
Can it count strokes, lengths etc?

I actually think it's better looking than the iWatch and if it is properly waterproof, then I'm sold (I hate all things Apple)
Dr Wolff

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:59 am

Dr Wolff wrote:Tell me more about the swimming;
Is it properly waterproof?
Can it count strokes, lengths etc?

I actually think it's better looking than the iWatch and if it is properly waterproof, then I'm sold (I hate all things Apple)

It's designed for the tri mob - three of the guys I work with do IM and they all have variations of Fenix the latest of which are OK to 100m.

I was tempted by the Descent which is also a dive computer but it's too chunky as a daily beater - IMHO
Garmin wrote: Special preloaded activity profiles are provided for swimming, running, biking, hiking, skiing, rowing, paddle boarding and more.

I also quite fancied the Chronos, but I couldn't get one here and was too impatient to get one shipped in.

The Chronos was quite a bit more the 5+ Sapphire DLC Ti I got, which wasn't exactly the cheapest. For some reason it did seem odd to spend so much on a non mechanical watch when I'd happily drop* 5 or 6 times that on a Zenith or such. That said, I haven't worn either of my other watches since getting it though. The Sapphire DLC models come with a spare silicone quick fit strap which is handy when out on the bike as it's that little bit more snug on the wrist.

* If I was feeling like I didn't want to remain married.
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Dr Wolff @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:That said, I haven't worn either of my other watches since getting it though.

This is something that I have heard many times in relation to smart watches and one reason I haven't got one so far. Would I ever wear the rest of my watches ever again? At the moment I rely on Swimtag at my local pool, but it's all guesswork in open water (not that I'm intending to swim outside anytime soon!)
Anyway, I like the look of those, better looking than Suntos, iWatches etc al
Dr Wolff

Post by span @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't know much about it, but Mr Span got a garmin Forerunner a year or so ago and he loves it - also hasn't worn another watch since*. And he's obsessed with his heart rate, practically updates me on it in real time, so I assume it does a good job on that front.

* in fact he's gone as far as losing the one I bought him for Christmas years ago - a resounding endorsement!
span

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Is it weird that I’m not that interested in metrics for things I like doing?

I wear a watch for freediving I suppose, that beeps when I should think about surfacing, but I’ve never downloaded into my computer to ‘view my dive profiles’ or whatever it does.

I don’t really care about my HR at all. The mob I train with insist we wear a chest band while training and our ‘effort zones’ go up on a big screen and stuff, but I said I lost it a while back because it needed charging and can’t really be bothered. It comes with an app but I don’t know what it does.

I’m even on strava but I don’t know why. It’s actually the most useful somehow, in terms of training/improving but I just find it all a bit of a faff when I just want to do things.

But it’s one of the fastest growing tech sectors and I feel like I ought to care more.

And yet the prospect of spending all that money on something that will probably need replaced in a couple of years instead of a ‘proper’ nice watch horrifies me. What am I missing?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 pm

I had a look at some today. Garmin, Fitbit, Samsung, Apple and even Nokia.

Garmin seemed the best option for a sports watch.

Fitbit the best for living out a 1980’s futuristic fantasy.

Apple the best for phone integration and general Appleness (the good and bad)

Samsung the best for battery and looking like a traditional watch.

Nokia the best for making you say “Oh wow does Nokia still exist?”

On balance of tech, fitness, looks and battery life I think I’m going for the Samsung.
thekungfury

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:20 pm

My Garmin is 10x better at tracking my open water swimming than my mate who I swim with on a cheaper older model garmin. His looks like a zig zag but mine is fairly reflective of my swimming and much more accurate.

I think the new Fenix has a much better resolution so will look a lot nicer.

It also does all the applepay type stuff so i'm probably going to upgrade shortly as like HGL, I can't see me wearing a watch that only tells the time ever again...just seems pointless when we're so power hungry for information all the time.
dirtyboy

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets