CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Joesnow @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 am

I've been after a new daily watch, and recently purchased a quartz, but not just any quartz.

Image

I went for a Longines Conquest, but this one is a 2018 Gold Coast special edition, with a commemorative case back, and blue and orange paint on the hand and hour markers. Its brighter in the flesh than the photo suggests.
The attraction of this quartz is that it is accurate to +/- 5 seconds a year, so better than other high precision quartz watches, such as the Grand Seiko. The battery life is long, and the ability to put the watch into standby mode, all hands at 12, is useful. The crown features a sweep function, which just advances or retreats the hour hand. Dead easy to make the adjustment in March or October, or when traveling. Minute hand adjustment is made by small inputs to the crown.

I've found myself irritated when the minute hand doesn't quite line up with the minute marker, and this watch rectifies that, as it is aware of the relationship between second hand and minute hand, so its always crack on.

It'd be nice if the second hand swept instead of ticked along, and if the lume was a bit longer lasting, but apart from that its a great daily.
User avatar
Joesnow
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 pm
Location: The land where the Jumblies live

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:01 am

I was sifting through a drawer this morning and found a Bulova Accutron in 14kt gold (bought it on a whim and dislike it, never worn!) and a seemingly rare Omega rubber strap and deployant clasp for a Seamaster.

I've listed these on eBay and intend to buy a watch with the proceeds, budget reliant on sale price! Unless of course they sell jointly for £100 then I won't bother. I hope to raise enough for a Sinn or similar but won't of course.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49803
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I was sifting through a drawer this morning and found a Bulova Accutron in 14kt gold (bought it on a whim and dislike it, never worn!) and a seemingly rare Omega rubber strap and deployant clasp for a Seamaster.

I've listed these on eBay and intend to buy a watch with the proceeds, budget reliant on sale price! Unless of course they sell jointly for £100 then I won't bother. I hope to raise enough for a Sinn or similar but won't of course.



Interested. Plz send pics thnx.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39456
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I was sifting through a drawer this morning and found a Bulova Accutron in 14kt gold (bought it on a whim and dislike it, never worn!) and a seemingly rare Omega rubber strap and deployant clasp for a Seamaster.

I've listed these on eBay and intend to buy a watch with the proceeds, budget reliant on sale price! Unless of course they sell jointly for £100 then I won't bother. I hope to raise enough for a Sinn or similar but won't of course.



Interested. Plz send pics thnx.

Have sent. Don’t think it would suit yours particularly as yours is a black face right?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49803
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey guys found your new watch

Image
Image

It’s real and it costs $700k and of course its code is RM69
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36089
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by NNK @ Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:17 pm

I had to Google that as I didn't believe it was true.
I am stunned, how can a high end manufacturer think its a good thing ? I don't like RM watches normally but that's f**ked up.
NNK
 
Posts: 8179
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: NZ

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by S1K @ Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:53 pm

How tasteful
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6978
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 am

Ordered.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39456
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

Disastrous wrote:Ordered.


Laugh
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 18042
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by dirtyboy @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:56 pm

I have a spectacularly short Euromillions rollover win "what i'd buy list" but that's gone on it.
User avatar
dirtyboy
 
Posts: 6689
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Hanging out of your mums arse

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 pm

I have a watch question:

My ‘main’ watch is my venerable Seamaster, but I wear a Seiko kinetic diver for grubbing about on the boat, spearfishing, SUPing etc. It mostly lives on its steel bracelet but if I were going on a proper water holiday, I would chuck it on a rubber dive strap.
ECA6A274-CA86-4A1D-862E-E86D46BE0E08.jpeg
ECA6A274-CA86-4A1D-862E-E86D46BE0E08.jpeg (138.47 KiB) Viewed 94 times


Now, the strap in question is the black retro dive strap from Timefactors which is a copy of the classic ISOfrane. It’s pretty good but I keep breaking the strap keepers and would like to buy a ‘proper’ one.

But what colour?

ISOfrane page: http://isofrane.com/

I’ll update this with pics but as I’m in Germany (the country) right now I can’t but the watch in question has a Pepsi bezel and that Seiko blue face.

Should I get a classic black rubber strap or should I go wild with a navy one to match the watch?
Last edited by Disastrous on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39456
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 pm

The navy would probably suit it better than black. Red would be even more rad but it doesn't look like they offer one.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36089
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm

£150 strap on a £250 watch seems a little ... I don't know.
Last edited by Il Duce on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13330
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm

thekungfury wrote:The navy would probably suit it better than black. Red would be even more rad but it doesn't look like they offer one.
Yes, red would be les cojónes du chien
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13446
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by ttwiggy @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Yellow might look cool. it's a complimentary colour to blue.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Il Duce wrote:£150 strap on a £250 watch seems a little ... I don't know.



>shrug<

It doesn’t owe me anything and is built like an actual tank. It’s every bit as good as my Omega really, and has some sentimental value so would hate to lose it in the sea to a cheap strap.

I don’t think I could manage a red one though. Too red for me.

I think the thing that is causing me to waver is that seiko’s own dive straps are black, and don’t look bad at all on the Pepsi watch.

Can’t find a good pic of mine on blue.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39456
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Il Duce wrote:£150 strap on a £250 watch seems a little ... I don't know.



>shrug<

It doesn’t owe me anything and is built like an actual tank. It’s every bit as good as my Omega really, and has some sentimental value so would hate to lose it in the sea to a cheap strap.

I don’t think I could manage a red one though. Too red for me.

I think the thing that is causing me to waver is that seiko’s own dive straps are black, and don’t look bad at all on the Pepsi watch.

Can’t find a good pic of mine on blue.


Inspired by you I just bought one of these for my Seamaster (quartz)

Image

£28.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13330
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 pm

I think Tokes is hoping for slightly more for his one.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39456
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Disastrous wrote:I think Tokes is hoping for slightly more for his one.


Ah I see.

I've also failed to take into consideration your powerful wrists.
I'm sure that they would destroy my £29 strap with just one flex.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13330
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Disastrous wrote:I think Tokes is hoping for slightly more for his one.

Mine’s genuine.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49803
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:29 pm

I would definitely go for a red isofrane in your shoes Dis. I reckon that would look properly relevant to your interests
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49803
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Looks like if you want red, you might have to go knock off.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13446
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by NNK @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

As the owner of several blue straps I can definitely recommend them but red, as its for boating/diving not dinner at the Witchery, would be my choice.
NNK
 
Posts: 8179
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: NZ

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 am

Il Duce wrote:
Inspired by you I just bought one of these for my Seamaster (quartz)

Image

£28.


£28 strap on a £3k watch seems a little...I don't know.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: CTF Watches Thread. And pens, lighters ...

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:25 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Inspired by you I just bought one of these for my Seamaster (quartz)

Image

£28.


£28 strap on a £3k watch seems a little...I don't know.


3k? Laugh! Which part of quartz didn't you understand? It didn't cost and isn't worth anywhere near that.
Last edited by Il Duce on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13330
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Previous

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles