An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:29 am

Hello. I am about to come very late to the Xbox 360 party because our children are going to get one between them as an extra thing for Christmas. Not because I'm a big believer in electronic toys for children, but because our neighbour has just replaced his 250Gb one with an Xbox One and has let us have it for a few quid. In my head it stops my son's incessant "can we get an xbox?"ing, and it replaces my clunky old dvd player, and it scores colossal dad-points, and it means I can catch up with the Master Chief for my own benefit, and it means I can re-experience those blissful hours from years gone by when my wife and I would shoot at each other for ages if there's nothing to watch on telly, and it means just about all the games are available pre-owned for about £2.

But beyond those crazy dreams, I don't know anything about anything any more. We went into Game on Monday and I asked the man a few questions. He was about fifteen, but had a full beard and explained which games were good family games because he sometimes played them with his dad who is properly well old like fifty or something. I looked at my wife. She smirked.

But apparently, Lego Star Wars. And I want Halo 4 because Halo. Otherwise, no idea. So can anybody delve back far enough in their momory to recall what I might need to know or want to buy for this thing? Children's games and grown up's games of merit? Kinect? Ancillary bits? I don't really want the children to be able to play online things, and I don't really want to play online things either, so not that. No idea.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 am

Minecraft.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 am

Of course! But my son's got that one his iPod already - will the Xbox one be better?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 am

Incidentally, if anyone wants a 360 I have on gathering dust, 3 controllers and lots of games.

Make me a low offer.
Deuteronomy

Post by minornut @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 am

God dammit DT, I've just bought a recon one from GAME for the kids for Christmas for the same reasons as DaTho.
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by WalMitty @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 am

For some reason the girlfriend really likes Rayman. It is a childish platform game.
WalMitty

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 am

Duke Thrust wrote:Incidentally, if anyone wants a 360 I have on gathering dust, 3 controllers and lots of games.

Make me a low offer.

What have you got, games-wise? I don't know how many controllers I've actually got, but might be interested. Let me check later. Thanks in advance if applicable.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 am

minornut wrote:God dammit DT, I've just bought a recon one from GAME for the kids for Christmas for the same reasons as DaTho.

Take it back?

Out of interest, what are they worth?
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Duke Thrust wrote:Incidentally, if anyone wants a 360 I have on gathering dust, 3 controllers and lots of games.

Make me a low offer.

What have you got, games-wise? I don't know how many controllers I've actually got, but might be interested. Let me check later. Thanks in advance if applicable.

Erm, racing ones, GTA3, Red Dead, Zombie ones, Gears of War 2, Halo (3, or 2 or something) and others.

Would be good to put it all in a big box and sent it to someone in exchange for a modest sum of money and no hassle.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 am

Duke Thrust wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Make me a low offer.

Erm, racing ones, GTA3, Red Dead, Zombie ones, Gears of War 2, Halo (3, or 2 or something) and others.

Would be good to put it all in a big box and sent it to someone in exchange for a modest sum of money and no hassle.

Fair enough. I'm probably not the ideal buyer then, because I won't want the Xbox bit.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 am

If no-one wants it all then I'll give you a shout and get some shelf space back at least.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Deuteronomy

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 pm

We've just bought Dirt 3 (Rally game)

Teribia, Terrainia or something

Halo 4 (he's played this at his cousins and i've made a decision to allow it, even though it's a 16 i'm comfortable he's mature enough at 9 - yes i'm a bad dad)
Fact is, he's not a massive gamer, he'll beg to go on the x-box when he gets home if we've been out for the day, he'll then set it up, play for 15-30 mins then pack it up and go elsewhere.

He enjoys Minecraft on the xbox more than on the iPad.

I was addicted to games consoles and computers in my younger days, Champ Manager 93 would be on all weekend, even in my early 20s a mate and I would link up C&C all day whilst the girls were at work and watch footy at the same time, ridiculous.

I was excited when the got the xbox, but i've probably played it 6 or 7 times over the past two years.
dirtyboy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Duke Thrust wrote:If no-one wants it all then I'll give you a shout and get some shelf space back at least.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

A'ight.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 pm

DT

I may be interested in your 360 thing. I know nothing about them though. Do I need the internets to use it & does it cost money to play with it ie: with game saving/memory things, or whatever...

how much is a low offer?

[e] I know you're quite a long way from me.
Last edited by Monty on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Of course! But my son's got that one his iPod already - will the Xbox one be better?

Dunno. But Minecraft is the only one that all of the nephews and neices of all ages will play, and which I'll bump them off the machine so I can get a go.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Turntable @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:28 pm

DTho
Remind me how old your kids are?
I am almost certain there are no games that are fun for both you and your children, so you want to be looking at a couple for you and lots for them.

I echo Lego Batman - easy to play and they all love it.
Skylanders/Disney infinity is one they love too, but it is a bit expensive.

For you- get call of duty 3 (modern warfare) because it is the same as the later ones but will be dirt cheap now and that is plenty.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:38 pm

dirtyboy wrote:Fact is, he's not a massive gamer, he'll beg to go on the x-box when he gets home if we've been out for the day, he'll then set it up, play for 15-30 mins then pack it up and go elsewhere....I was excited when the got the xbox, but i've probably played it 6 or 7 times over the past two years.

I expect much the same in our house, but for the few bob involved in getting it it means it's there for whenever.

Turntable wrote:DTho
Remind me how old your kids are?
I am almost certain there are no games that are fun for both you and your children, so you want to be looking at a couple for you and lots for them.

I echo Lego Batman - easy to play and they all love it.
Skylanders/Disney infinity is one they love too, but it is a bit expensive.

For you- get call of duty 3 (modern warfare) because it is the same as the later ones but will be dirt cheap now and that is plenty.

They're five and eight. I wasn't expecting blanket games for all of us necessarily; he likes racing games and Minecraft, she like Princessing games, I like shooting games and zombie games, and shooting zombie games - but as you said, in reality it'll be a couple for the grown ups and lots of Lego-type things. Actually, in Game I was surprised at the extent of the Lego this and Lego that games - masses of them. I asked the man about Infinity too, because I've seen the superhero-y ads and my son would love all that - but the man (beard boy) said that basically Infinity equalled an endless stream of money flowing out of your wallet and wasn't worth starting on.

What do I want apart from Halo? I, for me, I mean. I'm not really into COD tbh - I had a version of Modern Warfare before on the Wii and hated playing it online against people who clearly played it more than breathing, and hated playing it offline when it was all really earnest and grumpy. I liked Halo all those years ago because it was just fun (and shooting) - which makes me thing I might like fun-er games like Saints Row, is it? Or Borderlands? Just names I've seen and adverts, with no idea beyond that.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minornut @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Duke Thrust wrote:
minornut wrote:God dammit DT, I've just bought a recon one from GAME for the kids for Christmas for the same reasons as DaTho.

Take it back?

£80 with 1 controller (120Gb Elite version)
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by minimoog @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Make me a low offer.

Tenner plus postage. That low enough?
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

minornut wrote:
Duke Thrust wrote:

Take it back?

£80 with 1 controller (120Gb Elite version)

I think we've given the neighbour £80 for all his stuff - but I don't know exactly what's in the box yet (controllers, games, wev) and of course it's not re-conned/guaranteed. All I know is that the Xbox is a 250Gb one and it's black.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Where the hell is Thrust!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:02 pm

fcuk, I was only going to ask £70 for all of mine, games, controllers the lot.

Sod it, still £70 if anyone wants it.

I can't remember what size the HHD is and clearly it's not guaranteed.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Monty wrote:DT

I may be interested in your 360 thing. I know nothing about them though. Do I need the internets to use it & does it cost money to play with it ie: with game saving/memory things, or whatever...

how much is a low offer?

[e] I know you're quite a long way from me.

No, you can play on or off line.

£70 for the fcuking lot.

We have postage in the South, you don't have to collect Monts.
Deuteronomy

Post by Monty @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Any idea how old it is?

I can pay you with PayPal & add on postage for whatever it comes to.

PM etc...
Monty

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:09 pm

PM'd
Deuteronomy

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm

DaTho - don't forget that if you want to play anything online, you'll need an Xbox Live gold subscription. You can buy this through the Xbox itself, but it's £40. Or through Amazon for £35. This also give you access to assorted games you can download, including free ones.

Also, do you have a smart TV? I don't, so use my Xbox for YouTube, iPlayer, Netflix and to stream video from my PC.

Also quite cool is device pairing on YouTube - can use YT on your phone/tablet to search for vids, but play them through the Xbox.

Games - the kids will like Lego Batman. There's a great platform game thats only on download called Limbo. Its quite spooky so you'll have to decide if its child friendly.

You might like Far Cry 2, or Skyrim. Batman Arkham Asylum is good. If you do want a good first person shooter, Titanfall is excellent.

Kinect - well its OK, but if you have a Wii then I wouldn't bother.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 pm

GingerNinja wrote:DaTho - don't forget that if you want to play anything online, you'll need an Xbox Live gold subscription. You can buy this through the Xbox itself, but it's £40. Or through Amazon for £35. This also give you access to assorted games you can download, including free ones.

Also, do you have a smart TV? I don't, so use my Xbox for YouTube, iPlayer, Netflix and to stream video from my PC.

Also quite cool is device pairing on YouTube - can use YT on your phine/tablet to search for vids, but play them through the Xbox.

Games - the kids will like Lego Batman. There's a great platform game thats only on download called Limbo. Its quite spooky so you'll have to decide if its child friendly.

You might like Far Cry 2, or Skyrim.

Kinect - well its OK, but if you have a Wii then I wouldn't bother.

Brill Ginge-o, thanks.

I'm uncertain about online. I might find it dead useful but I would want stringent parental controls on it to stop the kids arsing about. We have a smart telly which is fantastic so the smartness of Xbox is irrelevant (I've also got a Chromecast for that stuff too). Thanks for the game suggestions too. I dunno about Kinect - we do have a Wii but it's broken, and it only really got used for Mario Kart, Mario Brothers and Goldeneye - none of which were jumping-about games.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 am

The Xbox has seen a bit of use now and we have a grand total of three games for it. Halo 4 as I mentioned, for my wife and me to shoot each other. But the campaign mode on it is really hard - I'm playing it on Normal and it's a proper struggle for someone like me; who is slow and old and forgets to wear his glasses, and who hasn't played any video games for years and years. My wife bought a Nike fitness training game to use with the Kinnect because it was only £4, but we haven't connected the Kinnect yet and the fitness game remains in the cellophane. The children have LEGO Marvel Superheroes which they totally adore, and from what I have seen of it looks really fun. It's also a good arbiter of coolness for superheroes, because they fight over who can be Iron Man but no one wants to be Hawkeye. Poor Jeremy Renner.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:19 am

Ha!
Welcome to the world of old fart's gaming. There's no point in pretending it's anything other than that!
I've not used my Xbox as much as I thought. But. One of the reasons I bought it was to be able to play old games. Sonic The Hedgehog has had a reasonable outing & I'm remembering what to do after playing it for hours years in the early 90's. It came on a disc with lots of other Sega games, most of which are shite however...but it's Sonic that I was after. I also bought an Atari disc with their old console games, or more to the point a few of their old console games on it...Asteroids, Missile Command & Lunar Lander are a few I've revisited from the early 80's.
The missus is so completely dreadful that she can only cope with a very basic 10 pin bowling game that must date back to the stone age, so there's no chance of me kicking her arse round a COD4 map, even if I could.

I used to play a lot of on line games, but packed it in when my eyes could no longer keep up with what my hands were failing to achieve on the keyboard. That's aside from the realisation that I could no longer compete with the prowess of a teenagers reactions 'pon the virtual battlefield. Although many still do, I decided that the over 50's really shouldn't be doing on line gaming!
I've not bothered with most of the other games Thrust sent me as I can't get the hang of using a controller after years of a keyboard & mouse. Also, any other reason you'd care to think of would apply to my complete hopelessness.

Try some of the old stuff if you can find it.
Monty

Post by span @ Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:52 am

The best game ever ever is GTAV, although not family-appropriate obviously. Contrary to popular opinion you really don't have to kill prostitutes. I actually try and be quite law-abiding outside of the actual missions, and so things like drive to a nice spot to enjoy the sunset, or take a boat down the river.

Mr Span showed a rare bit of enthusiasm for our PS3 last week (when we were on semi-holiday still), and suggested we buy a game to play during our downtime. I couldn't believe my ears and rushed and bought one straight away but whereas I'm really liking it*, he's played it for about fifteen minutes in total before getting so so angry with it that he stopped. It's a shame because afternoons spent playing video games together used to be so fun.

*although during holiday week, I spent much more time on a jigsaw we got from Aldi. Jigsaws are the tits!!
span

Next

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets