An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm

BTW, for a first-person game that's about shooting things to death, Crysis 3 is just about as good as it gets.

Although Far Cry 3:Blood Dragon is also good fun, esp. if you grew up on cheesy 80s action films.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by stuart @ Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm

CJ+ wrote:Although Far Cry 3:Blood Dragon is also good fun, esp. if you grew up on cheesy 80s action films.

Oh, I have that sitting untried too! I liked Far Cry 3.
Last edited by stuart on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 pm

CJ+ wrote:for a first-person game that's about shooting things to death, Crysis 3 is just about as good as it gets.

I'm looking forward to playing that now, but need to get Dishonored finished first otherwise I'll never go back to it. JUst like I'll never go back to Halo 4 because I got stuck at a hard bit and couldn't stop crying about it. Crysis has leapfrogged it's way to the top of my to-play list - ahead of Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite - by dint of looking cool (obv no console games are ever actually "cool", it's all one big rainbow of sad - but compared to other slightly-more-rubbish games it looks cool) and more importantly by apparently only taking 6 hours to do.

Which equates to four months once the Thorn skill level multiplier is applied.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Revol @ Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm bumbling through StarWars Battlefront and Fallout4 at the moment. I am actually shit at shooting games so there is of course lots of fury and swearing but at least the games look the dogs bollocks!
Project CARS and GTAV are still getting a lot of play time as well. CARS in particular just gets better and better, lots of DLC. Both free and paid. Think V8 touring cars are the next release and then some StanceWorks stuff.
Look at this, actual in game graphics too:
Last edited by Revol on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revol

Post by Rod Rammage @ Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm

CJ+ wrote:Far Cry 3:Blood Dragon

That's DLC, right? Not... whatever you call non-DLC?

Looking forward to Far Cry Primal.
Rod Rammage

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:30 am

Rod Rammage wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Far Cry 3:Blood Dragon

That's DLC, right? Not... whatever you call non-DLC?

Looking forward to Far Cry Primal.

Nope, it's a stand-alone game.
CJ+

Post by Piquet @ Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm

CJ+ wrote:The Witcher 3 is like Skyrim (only much much bigger)

I find the vastness of Skyrim pretty astounding, so I think The Witcher 3 would probably blow my mind.
Piquet

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Piquet wrote:
CJ+ wrote:The Witcher 3 is like Skyrim (only much much bigger)

I find the vastness of Skyrim pretty astounding, so I think The Witcher 3 would probably blow my mind.

Huge.
CJ+

Post by FurDonga @ Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Revol wrote:I'm bumbling through StarWars Battlefront and Fallout4 at the moment. I am actually shit at shooting games so there is of course lots of fury and swearing but at least the games look the dogs bollocks!
Project CARS and GTAV are still getting a lot of play time as well. CARS in particular just gets better and better, lots of DLC. Both free and paid. Think V8 touring cars are the next release and then some StanceWorks stuff.
Look at this, actual in game graphics too:
[img]

If you like Project Cars give Assetto Corsa a look , not as pretty as PC but more in depth physics and a thriving mod scene. One of my favorite mod tracks is a 53km loop of mixed roads in some mountains which i so sweet to just bumble around on .
FurDonga

Post by dave_s13 @ Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Anyone on here fancy a swapsie?

Fallout 4 xbox one for..... What u got?

I'm just not getting on with FO4 it's just too much like hard work for my tastes.
dave_s13

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:35 am

I finished Dishonored at the weekend and started on Bioshock Infinite. My infuriating ineptitude at stealth meant that I pretty much abandoned all those tactics for the last levels of DisH and just slaughtered my way through it to achieve the shameful high chaos ending where nothing turns out nicely. And now I'm already struggling to get to grips with Bioshock, of course - a fps where every single skirmish leaves me panting for health top-ups. Sigh!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by MelGibsonsElbow @ Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:41 am

Been playing the beta over the past 48 hours for The Division. And so far, it is well worth the 2 year hype.

For those that dont know The Division, then this - http://thedivision.wikia.com/wiki/The_Division_Wiki

Cannot wait for March to get into the full game. Did anyone else get in on this?
MelGibsonsElbow

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:31 am

The gameplay demo video on that looks ace, but do people really play games like that? I'd be spending my whole time searching around and creeping everywhere instead of running after the girl.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:11 pm

I bought 'The Witness', you walk around solving puzzles.

It's good but I can only solve a few puzzles in an hour before I get mentally exhausted and put something mindless on.

Good but hard work, not really suitable for relaxing after work.
stuart

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 am

I finished BioShock Infinite yesterday, apparently one of the best games ever. It was alright I suppose, but I didn't like it all that much: I didn't like the graphics or the setting or the music (ESPECIALLY the music!) or the gun selection or the feel of the controls or the horrible faux-retro sound effects or the production design or the lack of variation in the enemies or the endless sameness of the action. If heard there was a mind blowing/mind expanding twist ending, so I suppose I kept trudging through it to discover that, but then it turned out to be just some mumbo-jumbo that reminded me of the film The Prestige where if you've got half a brain you just feel cheated by the reveal.

I've got the complete edition of the game which includes loads of extra levels and stuff, but I won't be playing any of that, thanks.

Now I need to decide what to play next: Rise Of The Tomb Raider, Crysis3, Borderlands 2, Saints Row 3, or go back to try Far Cry 4 again.

I fancy Borderlands I think.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:11 am

Schymans score is gorgeous.
Käsemeister

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:22 am

I'm still enjoying the absolute shit out of The Witcher 3.

I am also looking forward to Doom, No Man's Sky and Fallout 4.

DaTho: Crysis 3 is great, but the final boss is, as final bosses go, a bit of a pain in the arse. Getting there is enormous fun, though.
CJ+

Post by Revol @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:37 am

Fallout4 is epic in every sense of the word, you'll love it.
No Man's Sky is out on the 21st June, that's my summer holidays taken over then!
Revol

Post by Strawman @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Schymans score is gorgeous.

Agreed. The sheer pathos on display in his wizard dying sequence would bring tears to the eyes of someone in a coma.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:00 pm

I've never heard of No Man's Sky before but it sounds either endlessly captivating or impossibly tedious. I suppose it depends what sort of brain you have.

Is there anywhere I can find out average comparative playthrough times for games? I know things like Skyrim or Fallout will swallow up weeks and months, but is Crysis going to take me 6 hours or 60? Will Borderlands 2 last me into a care home?
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Strawman wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:Schymans score is gorgeous.

Agreed. The sheer pathos on display in his wizard dying sequence would bring tears to the eyes of someone in a coma.

:rofl:
Käsemeister

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I've never heard of No Man's Sky before but it sounds either endlessly captivating or impossibly tedious. I suppose it depends what sort of brain you have.

Is there anywhere I can find out average comparative playthrough times for games? I know things like Skyrim or Fallout will swallow up weeks and months, but is Crysis going to take me 6 hours or 60? Will Borderlands 2 last me into a care home?

You can wrap Crysis 3 up in about 12 hours.

Borderlands 2? Treble that if you just barrel through the main story and don't bother with any side story. Each DLC adds about 12-24 hours of stuff.
CJ+

Post by Revol @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I've never heard of No Man's Sky before but it sounds either endlessly captivating or impossibly tedious. I suppose it depends what sort of brain you have.

I apeals they me very much and I'm hoping it's like Elite on the BBC Micro but better graphics.It'll stop me wanting Elite Dangerous and thus avoiding the massive outlay on a top end PC.
Revol

Post by Revol @ Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Strawman wrote:

This was my immediate thought too. :)
Revol

Post by stuart @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Revol wrote:

I apeals they me very much and I'm hoping it's like Elite on the BBC Micro but better graphics.It'll stop me wanting Elite Dangerous and thus avoiding the massive outlay on a top end PC.

THeres no multiplayer though, is there? I'm not sure if theres combat either of any type.

I think it's basically a walking simulator with some flying around in space.
stuart

Post by Revol @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Combat, yes. The pre order bonus on PSN is an upgraded ship with bigger guns so that's definitely in the game. Multiplayer, not sure. Some say no, some yes and some later as DLC.
Looks ace though and the discovery/exploration aspect appeals at me.
Revol

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:42 pm

stuart wrote:
Revol wrote:

THeres no multiplayer though, is there? I'm not sure if theres combat either of any type.

It's a shared universe, so you and others can be on the same planet. I'm just not sure what the interaction between players is.
GingerNinja

Post by stuart @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:16 am

GingerNinja wrote:
stuart wrote:
Revol wrote:

It's a shared universe, so you and others can be on the same planet. I'm just not sure what the interaction between players is.

Im sure I heard from a dev talking about it in an article that the universe is going to be so large that the chance of two real players meeting each other will be too small that it will never happen.

No Man’s Sky is not a AAA title and does not have the money or manpower of a game like Mass Effect or Destiny behind it. Probably the best comparison that could be made is Minecraft, which created procedurally generated worlds for players to share and explore. No Man’s Sky will take a similar approach, only instead of constantly generating brand new worlds with each new game there is just one world with 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedurally generated planets in it. Players will all share the same universe, but the chances of actually running into another player in that massive playground are going to be very slim.

“[Your friends] will be a long way away. People keep asking us about multiplayer and I think when people see this they are going to fully realize what it means to be that far away from somebody else who’s playing…

“People keep saying to us, ‘Yeah, but what if I knew where they were? Would I go there?’ And it’s like, yeah, but they are going to have to stay there for quite a while while you get over there. And then once you get over there you might land on the same planet and then you will say, ‘I’m on a planet the size of Earth and I am on a mountain. Where are you?'”

Murray describes the multiplayer of No Man’s Sky as having all of the online players “flying around with an open lobby,” but since the game world is so huge those players will almost never run into one another. The game is equipped to handle another player or two flying past, but there’s no need to make it capable of handling thousands or even dozens of players on screen at the same time.
Last edited by stuart on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by Rod Rammage @ Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 am

No Man's Sky out today.

Initial reviews very good.

Semi-erect.
Rod Rammage

Post by stuart @ Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 am

Rod Rammage wrote:No Man's Sky out today.

Initial reviews very good.

Semi-erect.

I'm the opposite. Runs like shit on PS4, no multiplayer at all, no plot really, no building stuff. What is the actual game part.

I don't get the point of it all.

Totally flacid.
stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets