New phone help

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

New phone help

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:20 am

I've had my phone for three years and tomorrow I'm going to go and get a new one. Of course I haven't been paying attention for three years, so what's going to be worth looking out for and what's going to be worth avoiding? Are there any handsets that are conspicuously about to be replaced, or anything coming out it might be better to wait a little bit for? My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S4(?) which is nice and seems simple but clearly old hat now, and my current phone is an HTC which I really like - are there other makes worth a look?

I'm an Android btw and don't want to move to an iPhone.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu!!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: New phone help

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:53 am

New iPhone in ten days.
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:54 am

Käsemeister wrote:New iPhone in ten days.

Yay! 6 is too big and this should reduce the price of the 5s.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Revol @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:15 am

Price?
Size?
Storage capacity?
On contract or buying sim free?

I've had Google Nexus phones recently and have the Nexus 5 at the moment. Brilliant all round but could really do with the ability to fit a microSD card. New Nexus 5 is due out soon so the price of the Nexus 6 (current flagship model) might drop a bit.
My wife has a Motorola Moto E 2nd gen which cost £100 and is fantastic value for money. Have a look on GSMarena and see what fits your needs.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:29 am

Käsemeister wrote:New iPhone in ten days.

I don't want to change to an iPhone thanks.

Revol wrote:Price?
Size?
Storage capacity?
On contract or buying sim free?

I've had Google Nexus phones recently and have the Nexus 5 at the moment. Brilliant all round but could really do with the ability to fit a microSD card. New Nexus 5 is due out soon so the price of the Nexus 6 (current flagship model) might drop a bit.
My wife has a Motorola Moto E 2nd gen which cost £100 and is fantastic value for money. Have a look on GSMarena and see what fits your needs.

I'm on a contract and hate spending money. My problem is because I've kept my phone three years, my contract only costs £8 a month now - so anything will seem expensive. My current phone is a 16GB HTC One X which has what seemed a big screen at the time but now seems small at just 4.75". I would happily have something bigger, but mine is fine.

I just want up-to-date Android, decent camera, minimum 16GB and an SD slot would be nice.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:37 am

Which HTC do you have?

I have an M8 and normally upgrade to the latest and greatest every 12 months but I have kept the M8 for over that now as the M9 is not a big enough leap forward to justify the cost of changing. Having said that both the M8 and the M9 are very good phones.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Revol @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 am

Guess it depends how good your bargaining skills are come update time. Vodafone et al usually stick to the big names such as Samsung, HTC and Sony so that'll narrow your choice a little. I much prefer the vanilla Android approach that Nexus phones have and you get the latest os updates, if that's important to you. Motorola seem to be pretty keen on keeping up to date with Android as well and don't have loads of bloat wear on them like Samsung/HTC do.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:01 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:Which HTC do you have?

A One X

Revol wrote:Guess it depends how good your bargaining skills are come update time. Vodafone et al usually stick to the big names such as Samsung, HTC and Sony so that'll narrow your choice a little. I much prefer the vanilla Android approach that Nexus phones have and you get the latest os updates, if that's important to you. Motorola seem to be pretty keen on keeping up to date with Android as well and don't have loads of bloat wear on them like Samsung/HTC do.

I'm with ee, who are a bit stingy with upgrade options - so Ill go to Carphone Warehouse to start with as they have a much broader choice of handsets. Of course anything will be better than my old phone as long as I don't accidentally get something old that isn't. Which is my fear, I suppose.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:04 pm

I saw an advert yesterday for a Tesco mobile with masses of minutes/text/data for £10/mth. No idea if that also gets you a phone but I'm not doing your research for you.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Revol @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Probably the same sim only deal as GiffGaff as Tesco also piggyback on the O2 network.
I get 500 minutes, 3gb of 4G data and unlimited texts for £15 on GiffGaff but you can go down to £5 a month and get 100 minutes, 100mb of 3G data and 300 texts. You can change what you buy every month so you're not tied into a set amount.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:14 pm

thekungfury wrote:I saw an advert yesterday for a Tesco mobile with masses of minutes/text/data for £10/mth. No idea if that also gets you a phone but I'm not doing your research for you.

This is why you're still not one of the best ones.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 pm

I went and looked at phones and everything being equal I am prepared to afford a Samsung A5, a Moto G V3 or last year's Samsung Galaxy S5. Anything?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:03 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus which is a few years old, it's better than the HTC(something or other) I had before. If you want to stay with android I think Samsung are a decent choice, based on my no market research though, IWBD.
Strawman

Post by Revol @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Tough choice.
On paper the S5 is the better phone due to the display resolution but personally I just cant get on with the TouchWiz interface (though you could always replace this with NovaLauncher for a more vanilla Android look) and the Moto my wife has is really nicely made and feels way more expensive than it is and the Moto G is running the most up to date Android.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Revol wrote:Tough choice.
On paper the S5 is the better phone due to the display resolution but personally I just cant get on with the TouchWiz interface (though you could always replace this with NovaLauncher for a more vanilla Android look) and the Moto my wife has is really nicely made and feels way more expensive than it is and the Moto G is running the most up to date Android.

I really liked the Moto G with a hands-on fiddle, but THE MAN in me can't help but be swayed by the sheer numbers the S5 throws at you on the specs sheet. Hmm.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by moleamol @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:31 pm

I'd look for a deal on a HTC One M8. I'm still on an original One (the one before the One M8) and I still really like it and the screen quality is still up there with the best. I also HATE the Samsung UI, and I suspect you might after a HTC for so long. The Moto G is brilliant for what it is, a smashing PayG. But compared to something like even an original One, it seems toy like. You probably preferred it because it doesn't have Samsung's awful UI.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Revol @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 pm

Looking at the Moto G you would want the 16gb model as this also has 2gb ram as opposed to 1gb ram for the lower storage version. The screen and processor are the stand out features on the S5 though, almost exactly the same as my Nexus 5 which I'm very happy with.

So I suppose S5 and get rid of TouchWiz?
Revol

Post by dave_s13 @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:17 pm

I got my Mrs a Vodafone Ultra 6 a couple of weeks ago as her aging moto G (v1) was very worn out.

Basically, I want one now (I have a gen 2 Moto G).

It's bloody brilliant for the money.

Review here
http://www.trustedreviews.com/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review

If you're not on Vodafone then you can unlock via Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231517263748? ... 26_rdc%3D1

For *£125 they are pretty bloody impressive.

*If you buy from a vodafone shop the scheming cnuts force you to buy an additional £10 top up voucher codes, you can sell it on/give it away to someone else but bascially they are cnuts.....still £135 is still pretty good value.
dave_s13

Post by Firkin @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu!!

I said that about this time last year. My current phone is a 5C and it hurts to say this but it's so much better than any android I used. :banghead:

Just buy an iPhone you big pansy :laugh:
Firkin

Post by Freddie @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Firkin wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu!!

I said that about this time last year. My current phone is a 5C and it hurts to say this but it's so much better than any android I used. :banghead:

Just buy an iPhone you big pansy :laugh:

Tosh. No Apple fan boy whoring please.

Any Samsung or the new, and massive, Motorola Nexus 6.

N.E.X.U.S.6

They say you BradeRunna

I have seen things you people ......
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm

Firkin wrote: My current phone is a 5C and it hurts to say this but it's so much better than any android I used.

What ways is it better Firks?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by NNK @ Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:06 am

I have had S3, S4 mini and now have an S6 (because it was free, well obv I am paying for it somehow). I probably don't use all the functions/apps as I should and certainly don't run my life with it but its very good.
My refusal to buy Apple products makes me a laughing stock sometimes but I haven't had any issues with Samsung.

My unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 10gb data costs $130 per month but I have done away with broadband at work and use hotspot.
NNK

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:45 am

NNK wrote:My refusal to buy Apple products makes me a laughing stock sometimes but I haven't had any issues with Samsung.

I'm not anti-Apple at all, but I do like Android and I've got used to it - so I can't think of a reason to switch to something essentially similar but where all the devices coat loads more. I haven't got any other Apple things, so wouldn't benefit from an iPhone working seamlessly with anything else; although my son has an iPod which regularly causes me to tear my hair out because combined with iTunes it does anything but "just work".
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am

The OnePlus Two has been getting good reviews, but might be hard to get hold of.

I'm seriously considering a Chinese phones called the Umi Hammer S, which is due or imminently. You'll have to buy it over the internet though, but the specs are excellent and it'll only cost about £120 I reckon, by the time you pay import taxes etc. Reviews of the previous model (non S) have all been very good.

http://m.geekbuying.com/item/UMI-HAMMER ... 43917.html
Last edited by GingerNinja on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:33 pm

GingerNinja wrote:The OnePlus Two has been getting good reviews, but might be hard to get hold of.

Exactly what I'd heard in my superficial e-research.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I saw an advert yesterday for a Tesco mobile with masses of minutes/text/data for £10/mth. No idea if that also gets you a phone but I'm not doing your research for you.

This is why you're still not one of the best ones.

Laugh!
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:my son has an iPod which regularly causes me to tear my hair out because combined with iTunes it does anything but "just work".

Everyone hates iTunes though, even the most ardent Apple fan.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:39 am

I've had the phone I got after all these deliberations for almost two years, and it was starting to become slow and clunky and awful and making me want a new phone.

Imagine my surprise when simply deleting a ton of unused apps and clearing loads of cached data has made it speed right back up again and be brilliant! I have also moved my apps around on the homescreens and changed the wallpaper, so I have effectively got a BRAND NEW phone for no outlay whatsoever.

Top tip.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 am

thekungfury wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:my son has an iPod which regularly causes me to tear my hair out because combined with iTunes it does anything but "just work".

Everyone hates iTunes though, even the most ardent Apple fan.

I don't.

But then, all I use it for is (a) backing up my phone and (b) installing software updates, and it seems to do those two things without problems.

If I actually used it for music, I'd probably be cross. But I haven't done that for >counts on fingers< about six years, and the interface has changed a lot since then.
CJ+

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 am

I don't hate it either and I use it for music.

I'm signed up too iTunes match and Apple music and really like it. What's wrong with it?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Next

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets