Bye bye Sky - what next?

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Bye bye Sky - what next?

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Sky very kindly sent me an email informing me my subscription was going up by £3/month, so jarred me into looking at what I'm spending with them.

£20/month on fibre broadband
£20/month landline
£46/month on satellite

Now when I first got the TV sub, it was only about £23/month then of course HD added another £10 so I'm not sure how it's crept up to £46. It looks like they cheekily swapped my packages at some point, so I've had the F1 channel for ages without realising.

ANYWAY, because of their email and along with the realisation I really only watch the BBC1 & 2, Channel 4 and Film 4, I've cancelled my satellite sub.

So I'm either just going to get a Freesat HD box, or go down the more dubious and dodgy route of getting a KODI box with a small sub which gives me literally everything from anywhere.

Whats freesat like - tolerable?
GingerNinja

Re: Bye bye Sky - what next?

Post by moleamol @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:01 pm

If that's all you watch just get Freeview with a recorder. Sod the landline, get decent broadband.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Perfectly so. I dumped sky 4 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. The only thing was game of thrones but that can be seen via nowtv app and Xbox. I was the same as you ie hardly ever watched any sky content having said that, 2 friends rang sky to cancel and they gave them all services for about £5 a month for a year, so do see what you can screw out of them.

I'm glad to be rid of sky and murdochs tentacles.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:52 pm

My Sky bill is going to go up £2.50, which I hate. I hate Sky as well and hate feeling trapped by them/it. I'm forever looking to escape and do something like Freesat or NowTV.

Except: I pay Sky £33 a month for my sub, £7.50 for broadband and £17.50 for landline and included calls. So whatever I do, if I want broadband I'll still have to pay for a landline and for the actual broadband, which will doubtless not save me much (anything) compared to Sky.

My £33 a month sub gives me an HD recording box with a nice simple channel guide/search/series link. I can set it to record things from my phone from wherever I am. I have endless ondemand box sets and stuff included, and I can watch any of the programmes I might want to (except Evil Dead which is on bt or some shit grr!).

So in spite of my hated of Sky I think I get pretty decent value for money. Which is even more annoying.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:15 pm

I really hate the hidden cost of the landline when you get a BB deal. I can't remember the last time I used it but it sits there robbing me of £15/mth or w'ev so that I can get online.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:51 pm

If I didn't get Sky for free I think I'd be using a combo of NowTV and Netflix/Amazon for my viewing. I have pretty much every Sky channel and watch about a dozen at most.
ttwiggy

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:55 pm

Not having Sky means not giving any money to Rupert Cnutybollocks Murdoch, which has got to be a good thing.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:30 pm

GingerNinja wrote:£20/month on fibre broadband
£20/month landline
£46/month on satellite

fcuk a duck, no wonder Murdoch's loaded.

Freesat bix, job done. Lots of HD, recording, pausing, lah di dah, and all for freeeeee.
Käsemeister

Post by Strawman @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:41 pm

thekungfury wrote:I really hate the hidden cost of the landline when you get a BB deal. I can't remember the last time I used it but it sits there robbing me of £15/mth or w'ev so that I can get online.

They're proposing scrapping the need to have a landline for broadband

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35869222
Strawman

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
£20/month landline
£46/month on satellite

Freesat bix, job done. Lots of HD, recording, pausing, lah di dah, and all for freeeeee.

Agree and with netflix/amazon prime/plex with apps, there's no need to have sky and pay £90 a month!!!
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
£20/month landline
£46/month on satellite

You don't have broadband or a phone line?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
£20/month landline
£46/month on satellite

I have both but via BT with unlimited everything and still only £40ish a month
Doctor Congo

Post by Revol @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:21 pm

We dumped Sky a few years back, pondered on freesat but a good box was above budget at the time.
We went with TalkTalk for a cheap BB/TV package with a YouView box for free. After 18 months we left TalkTalk and now just pay for phone/BB from PlusNet. The free TV box thing still works and does HD/on demand/recording/live pause etc etc. Our 18 months contract with PlusNet is nearly up so we'll just look for another cheap new customer type offer and start it all again.
Revol

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Trouble is if you want sport then Sky is the only real option.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Plex/Kodi with live streaming = no need for sky. Also bt sport has more footy on it
Doctor Congo

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
£20/month landline
£46/month on satellite

Even with that's still halve the bill. I was referring to telly.

I do have a phone line though on a minimal contract as its only ever used for incoming calls and even then barely ever. My broadband doesn't use a phone line.
Käsemeister

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 pm

968 wrote:Plex/Kodi with live streaming = no need for sky. Also bt sport has more footy on it

Tell me more of this Plex/Kodi.

BT may have the CL currently, but for the likes of you and I that's no good next year. Sky have a lot more EPL, plus the cricket too.
DI Burnside

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:44 am

There's an app called robocop (yes really) which enables you to stream live footy.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:13 am

Plex, Kodi, robocop, what does it all mean ? Do I have to by things ? Download things ? What ?
DI Burnside

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:51 am

Yeah, also remember that £46/month didn't include any film or sports subscriptions either - a mate of mine who loves his sport was paying around £100/month just on his Sky TV sub. Madness. He's binned it now though and has KODI box, pays £12/month and has literally everything on there....including live premiership games at 3pm kick-off on a Saturday with English commentary - no idea where that's streaming from.

I also have Netflix and Amazon so think I'll just get a freesat HD box with a hard drive and be happy with that.
GingerNinja

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:55 am

Is this KODI box legal or just hacked streams?
Deuteronomy

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Is this KODI box legal or just hacked streams?

You can buy the boxes and software totally legally - you then have to configure the add-ins yourself, which is basically telling it where to find the streaming sources. Some of it live broadcast, some of it stored (films, tv shows etc). Given you can't legally watch live premiership games in this country on any channel at 3pm on a Saturday, I guess it's dubious. However, given it's streaming and not a download, I imagine it's not policed.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Surely streaming IS a download, just one your equipment isn't saving for later?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:08 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Plex, Kodi, robocop, what does it all mean ? Do I have to by things ? Download things ? What ?

Plex and Kodi you can download from the Internet and run on a PC/laptop/Amazon Fire usb stick, Xbox one etc. It's free but what you need to run it on isn't free. There are tutorials on YouTube. I haven't used them yet but am going to do so to access more online content.
Doctor Congo

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:47 pm

968 wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Plex, Kodi, robocop, what does it all mean ? Do I have to by things ? Download things ? What ?

Plex and Kodi you can download from the Internet and run on a PC/laptop/Amazon Fire usb stick, Xbox one etc. It's free but what you need to run it on isn't free. There are tutorials on YouTube. I haven't used them yet but am going to do so to access more online content.

Plex is bit of software that turns your downloaded tv/film content into a nicely organised media library - like having your own netflix. You have machine that runs the software as a server - it categorises all your video, finds posters, gets soundtracks etc. You then have a Plex client app (on phone, tablets, PC, xbox) that can access the content from anywhere, much like a Netflix app.

Kodi is a bit of software that runs on Android devices (and linux I think too, probably others) - you can buy dedicated and cheap Android media boxes with it already installed on. It allows you to stream video from various servers across the internet - live tv from all over the place, plus catalogues of films and tv shows.
GingerNinja

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:47 pm

968 wrote:

Plex is bit of software that turns your downloaded tv/film content into a nicely organised media library - like having your own netflix. You have machine that runs the software as a server - it categorises all your video, finds posters, gets soundtracks etc. You then have a Plex client app (on phone, tablets, PC, xbox) that can access the content from anywhere, much like a Netflix app.

Kodi is a bit of software that runs on Android devices (and linux I think too, probably others) - you can buy dedicated and cheap Android media boxes with it already installed on. It allows you to stream video from various servers across the internet - live tv from all over the place, plus catalogues of films and tv shows.
GingerNinja

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:58 pm

So I could buy a Kodi box and connect it to my TV and broadband then stream just about anything ?
DI Burnside

Post by Ghost @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Käsemeister wrote:

Bix? Typo for box or is that a thing?
Ghost

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Weetabox
Käsemeister

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:02 pm

DI Burnside wrote:So I could buy a Kodi box and connect it to my TV and broadband then stream just about anything ?

Pretty much - you have to configure it initially, and perversely you can't get UK terrestrial channels through it (although you can with a monthly sub), but there's a huge amount of stuff available for free including the premiership games.
GingerNinja

Next

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets