Bye bye Sky - what next?

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: Bye bye Sky - what next?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:02 pm

DI Burnside wrote:So I could buy a Kodi box and connect it to my TV and broadband then stream just about anything ?

Yes!
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:03 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
968 wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Plex, Kodi, robocop, what does it all mean ? Do I have to by things ? Download things ? What ?

Plex and Kodi you can download from the Internet and run on a PC/laptop/Amazon Fire usb stick, Xbox one etc. It's free but what you need to run it on isn't free. There are tutorials on YouTube. I haven't used them yet but am going to do so to access more online content.

Plex is bit of software that turns your downloaded tv/film content into a nicely organised media library - like having your own netflix. You have machine that runs the software as a server - it categorises all your video, finds posters, gets soundtracks etc. You then have a Plex client app (on phone, tablets, PC, xbox) that can access the content from anywhere, much like a Netflix app.

Kodi is a bit of software that runs on Android devices (and linux I think too, probably others) - you can buy dedicated and cheap Android media boxes with it already installed on. It allows you to stream video from various servers across the internet - live tv from all over the place, plus catalogues of films and tv shows.

I thought you could still stream content on plex instead of kodi?
Doctor Congo

Post by moleamol @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Plex is more of a media manager, you'll need Kodi to stream.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:31 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:So I could buy a Kodi box and connect it to my TV and broadband then stream just about anything ?

Pretty much - you have to configure it initially, and perversely you can't get UK terrestrial channels through it (although you can with a monthly sub), but there's a huge amount of stuff available for free including the premiership games.

>has a semi on<

Where would one acquire such a device ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Is this Kodi stuff actually legal to use in the UK?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Is this Kodi stuff actually legal to use in the UK?

Having Kodi is legal. Just like having a baseball bat is legal.

If you use it to do dodgy things such as stream Premiership games or threaten an old lady at the bus stop it's illegal. The difference is, it seems, the former is seemingly impossibly hard to police.

I haven't done it because I don't care about Premiership games, would prefer to stay legal and because it all sounds a bit IT system analyst in a fleece.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Never been comfortable with the concept of those streaming dodgyboxes. Something about connecting my house to servers undoubtedly operated by the Russian mafia and their elite teams of hackers who are probably stealing your identity whilst you innocently watch next week's episode of Strictly or whatever.

Also, pikey as fcuk. Might as well eat food out of the bins at the back of Sainsbury's.
CJ+

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:28 pm

CJ+ wrote:Never been comfortable with the concept of those streaming dodgyboxes. Something about connecting my house to servers undoubtedly operated by the Russian mafia and their elite teams of hackers who are probably stealing your identity whilst you innocently watch next week's episode of Strictly or whatever.

Also, pikey as fcuk. Might as well eat food out of the bins at the back of Sainsbury's.

I spose but paying £100 a month on the other hand for a full sky package with all the sports maybe worth being a bit pikey!
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Copyright is something I don't like to breach so I don't do it, I have used putlocker but only to catch up on something that's been on already but isn't available legitimate and free somewhere.

I pay £66 a month for Sky HD, which is everything bar movies. Phone and broadband (free anytime calls, unlimited 38mb fibre and the you view thing) with Talk Talk for £35. I don't think that's too bad for what I get out of it.
DI Burnside

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Commendable honesty dibs. I feel well guilty now.
Doctor Congo

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:18 pm

I like you Dib. But only today obv.
Käsemeister

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:16 am

DI Burnside wrote:>has a semi on<

Where would one acquire such a device ?

My mate bought this one and did the config himself:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lollipop-Quad-c ... +mxq&psc=1

Or you could play around with one of the pre-configured cheaper options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIDUBUY%C2%AE-A ... words=Kodi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Games-Mid ... words=Kodi
Last edited by GingerNinja on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:51 am

I decided to phone sky at the weekend to cancel my TV package because it had got too expensive. I'm paying £15 + £7.50 + £8 for line rental and broadband and call package, which is £30.50 - but then my programmes cost another £36 on top of that (making £66 a month!)

I decided to save some money and cancel the programmes, and make do with freeview. Although I'd have to buy an aerial (don't have one) and a freeview plus box too.

I know if you phone sky they will send you incentive deals to make you stay when you say you want to cancel, so I was also quite interested to see what turned up due to that.

So imagine my surprise when the lady on the phone just chopped my whole bill down to £41. Just like that. All my things still included, but £25 less every month. I have decided to stay (which was their devious plan from the start, of course), but I still save money (which was my plan from the start) and I don't lose any of the programmes I was prepared to sacrifice but do like to watch.

Well done sky and me.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I decided to phone sky at the weekend to cancel my TV package because it had got too expensive. I'm paying £15 + £7.50 + £8 for line rental and broadband and call package, which is £30.50 - but then my programmes cost another £36 on top of that (making £66 a month!)

I decided to save some money and cancel the programmes, and make do with freeview. Although I'd have to buy an aerial (don't have one) and a freeview plus box too.

I know if you phone sky they will send you incentive deals to make you stay when you say you want to cancel, so I was also quite interested to see what turned up due to that.

So imagine my surprise when the lady on the phone just chief my whole bill down to £41. Just like that. All my things still included, but £25 less every month. I have decided to stay (which was their debits plan from the start, of course), but I still save money (which was my plan from the start) and I don't lose any of the orgasmed I was perused to sacrifice but do like to watch.

Well done sky and me.

Astonishing autocorrect!

They did that when I phoned too but it made me even angrier so strengthened my resolve to cancel. The way I see it, they are obviously still making money off you, even at the reduced rate, so the inflated rate they've been charging you all along is just 'what they think they can get away with', which incensed me for some reason.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 am

Disastrous wrote:Astonishing autocorrect!

Indeed. Let me just have a look at that...
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:13 am

And it didn't make me cross, although I completely accept your point. I set out yesterday to save money on a few things, and sky was only part of it. I changed energy provider as well, and sorted out a way to replace my wife's phone contract for less.

But for sky I was also pleased to not have to go without some of the few things I do like to watch, and to save the inconvenience of having a man put an aerial on the roof.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 am

Well done DT!

I've pondered on this a while, but as I could only get Freeview/Freesat out here as an alternative, and I'd also need to buy a better equipment to get the full amount of channels. It worries me that Sky could just say ok, bye then. In which case I'd feel doubly fcuked over.
I only have TV with them too, so I'm not sure how much they'd be prepared to knock off eevah!

I hate them!!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 am

Monty wrote:Well done DT!

I've pondered on this a while, but as I could only get Freeview/Freesat out here as an alternative, and I'd also need to buy a better equipment to get the full amount of channels. It worries me that Sky could just say ok, bye then. In which case I'd feel doubly fcuked over.
I only have TV with them too, so I'm not sure how much they'd be prepared to knock off eevah!

I hate them!!

Could you theoretically get Virgin telly?

If you can, phoning sky is probably safe. If you can't, sky will already know they're the only show in town and not deal.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:33 am

Disastrous wrote:

I hate them!!

If you can, phoning sky is probably safe. If you can't, sky will already know they're the only show in town and not deal.

They're not the only show in town. There's freeview, or catch up online, or Netflix. I think the consumer has more up their sleeve now than ever before. Even if you live in isolated montyville.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:38 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

I hate them!!

They're not the only show in town. There's freeview, or catch up online, or Netflix. I think the consumer has more up their sleeve now than ever before. Even if you live in isolated montyville.

Someone who worked for Sky said that their deal or no deal system is based on whether or not you can get Virgin, as it's flagged on your account. Though that was a few years ago. Maybe nowadays they check your broadband speed too.

I know of quite a few people who have phoned 'to cancel' in the hopes of a meaty discount and been told "ok, no worries!" who then had to sheepishly phone back and cancel their cancel when they discovered they had no alternative.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 am

And also, if you've had sky before, you can do freesat. I think the only way sky have got a real gold any more is customer laziness and some exclusive programming. I was prepared to bin those programmes if it was going to save me money - but of course you always have to pay something to get something, and I don't hate sky enough to be blind to what I think is a good deal.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 am

The last kind of run in I had with Sky's 'customer service' was a few years ago (I probably bitched about it here somewhere). The chap I spoke to was fundamentally rude, which after a complaint eventually led me to getting another TV package (Discovery & documentaries) magically appearing. I think a letter followed some time later, but I can't remember.
My initial inquiry had been along the lines of; I'm going to go elsewhere. I was told effectively to do so then.
This was before Prime & Netflix...and sadly Virgin isn't going to be coming out here for many years I'd imagine as they'd have to lay miles or cable just to service a small town & a few villages.

But, yes. Maybe (at last) we customers have a little more clout!

[e] Yes, good point about the satellite dish.
Last edited by Monty on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 am

Can you no longer run Sky boxes as freesat boxes anyway? Why switch to Freeview?
Käsemeister

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 am

Käsemeister wrote:Can you no longer run Sky boxes as freesat boxes anyway? Why switch to Freeview?

I'm assuming that were I to ditch Sky, I'd have to return my Sky box?
I agree with the idea of Freesat as opposed to Freeview due to still having a dish.
I'd need to buy a Freesat box if i go down this road, presumably.
Monty

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am

I think the sky box is yours Monty, you don't send it back if you cancel.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 am

Käsemeister wrote:Can you no longer run Sky boxes as freesat boxes anyway? Why switch to Freeview?

I use Amazon and Netflix 90% of the time, with the odd foray into 'terrestrial' tv on a Sat evening, so am keen to ditch Sky and had the same question...will my Sky box still work on normal telly and still be able to record?

Just musing....
dirtyboy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:12 am

Damien Thorn wrote:And also, if you've had sky before, you can do freesat. I think the only way sky have got a real gold any more is customer laziness and some exclusive programming. I was prepared to bin those programmes if it was going to save me money - but of course you always have to pay something to get something, and I don't hate sky enough to be blind to what I think is a good deal.

They also scoop up those people who don't have the access/knowledge to use catch-up services. People like my parents.

The new Catastrophe series starts this week and on my Virgin planner has created a folder which has acesss to all the episodes from S1&2. They're essentially hyperlinks to catch-up from 4OD which I could have done myself with my smart telly but I can well believe other people without that knowledge will be sufficiently happy with Sky/Virgin to keep paying.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 am

dirtyboy wrote:

I use Amazon and Netflix 90% of the time, with the odd foray into 'terrestrial' tv on a Sat evening, so am keen to ditch Sky and had the same question...will my Sky box still work on normal telly and still be able to record?

Just musing....

When we switched from Sky to Virgin we lost the ability not just to record on the Sky box but even to watch shows we'd saved on our planner. That was a few years ago so I'm not sure if the same situation occurs today but would put money on it.
thekungfury

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 am

thekungfury wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:

Just musing....

When we switched from Sky to Virgin we lost the ability not just to record on the Sky box but even to watch shows we'd saved on our planner. That was a few years ago so I'm not sure if the same situation occurs today but would put money on it.

Oh..I have lots of oovie moovies in my planner that i've saved for rainy days..

Netflix and Amazon seem to reduce their movie content and concentrate on shows now, so I like having a movie saved, that would be annoying to lose those.
dirtyboy

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 am

thekungfury wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:

Just musing....

If they were from Sky subscription channels then you lose them, but I'm not sure that the same applies for free channels.
DI Burnside

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets