Bye bye Sky - what next?

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: Bye bye Sky - what next?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:27 am

DI Burnside wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:Can you no longer run Sky boxes as freesat boxes anyway? Why switch to Freeview?

I use Amazon and Netflix 90% of the time, with the odd foray into 'terrestrial' tv on a Sat evening, so am keen to ditch Sky and had the same question...will my Sky box still work on normal telly and still be able to record?

Just musing....

When we switched from Sky to Virgin we lost the ability not just to record on the Sky box but even to watch shows we'd saved on our planner. That was a few years ago so I'm not sure if the same situation occurs today but would put money on it.

If they were from Sky subscription channels then you lose them, but I'm not sure that the same applies for free channels.

We lost the lot. We even waited a few weeks to cancel so that a particular series would be saved and we could watch it after we moved but a big wagging finger waved in our beautiful faces.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 am

There's a card that fits into the Sky box, presumably once you're not paying Sky the card is deactivated making the box not work. Kind of fair enough I begrudgingly s'pose!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:44 am

Maybe they've changed it then, they used to work with out a card for Freeview and Freesat stuff. I might try it tonight if I can be arse \ remember.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:13 pm

Depending on how much you want to watch the recordings this may or may not be useful...

http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/extract.php
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I decided to phone sky at the weekend to cancel my TV package because it had got too expensive. I'm paying £15 + £7.50 + £8 for line rental and broadband and call package, which is £30.50 - but then my programmes cost another £36 on top of that (making £66 a month!)

I decided to save some money and cancel the programmes, and make do with freeview. Although I'd have to buy an aerial (don't have one) and a freeview plus box too.

I know if you phone sky they will send you incentive deals to make you stay when you say you want to cancel, so I was also quite interested to see what turned up due to that.

So imagine my surprise when the lady on the phone just chopped my whole bill down to £41. Just like that. All my things still included, but £25 less every month. I have decided to stay (which was their devious plan from the start, of course), but I still save money (which was my plan from the start) and I don't lose any of the programmes I was prepared to sacrifice but do like to watch.

Well done sky and me.

I just phoned sky again. Having secured unlimited calls on my wife's new mobile tariff, I don't need included calls on my landline any more - so I rant them to cancel that.

While we were talking the girl said she could apply some other offers to my account, so now somehow my sky bill has gone down again, to £28 a month. Still with all my programmes. Still with my unlimited broadband and line rental.

I simultaneously feel that this is now a superb bargain, but also like Dis I feel a bit cross that they would have happily carried on charging me almost seventy quid a month for essentially the same thing if I hadn't asked.

Hmm.

e: apt autocorrect, stays
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I decided to phone sky at the weekend to cancel my TV package because it had got too expensive. I'm paying £15 + £7.50 + £8 for line rental and broadband and call package, which is £30.50 - but then my programmes cost another £36 on top of that (making £66 a month!)

I decided to save some money and cancel the programmes, and make do with freeview. Although I'd have to buy an aerial (don't have one) and a freeview plus box too.

I know if you phone sky they will send you incentive deals to make you stay when you say you want to cancel, so I was also quite interested to see what turned up due to that.

So imagine my surprise when the lady on the phone just chopped my whole bill down to £41. Just like that. All my things still included, but £25 less every month. I have decided to stay (which was their devious plan from the start, of course), but I still save money (which was my plan from the start) and I don't lose any of the programmes I was prepared to sacrifice but do like to watch.

Well done sky and me.

I just phoned sky again. Having secured unlimited calls on my wife's new mobile tariff, I don't need included calls on my landline any more - so I rant them to cancel that.

While we were talking the girl said she could apply some other offers to my account, so now somehow my sky bill has gone down again, to £28 a month. Still with all my programmes. Still with my unlimited broadband and line rental.

I simultaneously feel that this is now a superb bargain, but also like Dis I feel a bit cross that they would have happily carried on charging me almost seventy quid a month for essentially the same thing if I hadn't asked.

Hmm.

e: apt autocorrect, stays

Those rat bastards! I'd be furious in your shoes datho, and would happily pay more to an alternative vendor out of spite. Except not actually, and I'd be cross in advance that the other vendor was up to the same shit and that would make me unable to use them so in reality, I'd be frozen in a deadlock of fury and just go with regular telly. Which is what I did!

Principles!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Monty @ Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I got a letter from the cnuts this morning offering that for £15 more I could get some sport shit or sumfink. Why would I want to do that?

I don't want to pay Murdoch more! I want to pay him less!!

I think I may try a phone call next week...
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Revol @ Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm

When we phoned Sky they just said "Yep, here's your cancellation notice. Bye!" no attempt to do a deal despite us being a customer for about 10 years. cnuts. Also all the pre recorded content on the +box was unavailable no matter if it was a free or subscription channel. Did work as a freesat box but wouldn't record anything.
We then went with TalkTalk for a year and got a free freeview box which can record and access online/catch up stuff then went with PlusNet on a broadband only package. TalkTalk box still works perfectly and lets us record stuff.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Revol wrote:When we phoned Sky they just said "Yep, here's your cancellation notice. Bye!" no attempt to do a deal despite us being a customer for about 10 years. cnuts.

I wonder if it makes any difference how you approach it? I can't imagine why it would, except. When I phoned I was all "it's such a shame! I really like sky, and the channels and the functionality and the simplicity - but it's too much money and I'm going to have to cancel my programmes and go with freeview. It's not what I want to do, but I need to save some money every month..."

- let's see then. Hmm. How about if you keep all your things but we charge you forty pounds a month less? You'll have to agree to a further twelve months though. Would that be ok?

"Well. I suppose."
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I think this is where my...all guns blazing...approach would fall at the first hurdle!
Monty

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Revol wrote:When we phoned Sky they just said "Yep, here's your cancellation notice. Bye!" no attempt to do a deal despite us being a customer for about 10 years. cnuts. Also all the pre recorded content on the +box was unavailable no matter if it was a free or subscription channel. Did work as a freesat box but wouldn't record anything.
We then went with TalkTalk for a year and got a free freeview box which can record and access online/catch up stuff then went with PlusNet on a broadband only package. TalkTalk box still works perfectly and lets us record stuff.

Kill/support my theory here:

Could you have gone with Virgin?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:54 am

I've got no Virgin in my street.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've got no Virgin in my street.

I've been lied to by an actual employee then. I literally couldn't hate them more right now.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:15 am

Well. There's no Virgin availability on Virgin's online coverage checker - but sky also say online that I can't get sky fibre, although the girl on the phone at sky said I could. Don't know.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dirk @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:29 am

Damning statement of the sexual mores in your area. And how do you know eh?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Well. There's no Virgin availability on Virgin's online coverage checker -

When I contacted Virgin more than a year ago they said there were no plans to get to my area any time soon, there was also a thing in the news about how they were unhappy about the large government subsidies given to BT openreach which distorted the market in BT's favour, so Virgin are only available in a few big cities.
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:43 am

Strawman wrote:Virgin are only available in a few big cities.

It might be limited in certain areas but I have Virgin's 150Mbps and I'm 40 miles from my nearest city and 4 miles from my nearest town.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:53 am

I must admit that Virgin's doesn't really appeal to me from what I've seen. Do they have any exclusive things over sky?

I feel a bit bad about my discounts as well, because my dad recently went through the same cost-cutting exercise now he's retired, but he didn't seem to do as well as me.

He's switched to BT telly, and their broadband and set top box, but kept bare bones basic sky as well: it now costs him about fifteen pounds a month more than mine costs me, and he's lost lots of sky programmes and ended up with capped broadband usage (bit rude nowadays!)
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am

thekungfury wrote:
Strawman wrote:Virgin are only available in a few big cities.

It might be limited in certain areas but I have Virgin's 150Mbps and I'm 40 miles from my nearest city and 4 miles from my nearest town.

I stand (or sit) corrected, I just checked and

Your community has been chosen for future development. We’re working as fast as we can to get to you but right now we can’t confirm when we’ll be able to connect this address to Virgin Media services.

So more optimistic than a year ago, I have a BT contract which is over 50mbps down, which is fast enough for my needs.
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am

Damien Thorn wrote: Do they have any exclusive things over sky?

Faster (200 versus 76), not owned by Rupert Murdoch. Don't know about content.
Strawman

Post by Hooli @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 am

Dirk wrote:

Damning statement of the sexual mores in your area. And how do you know eh?

My first thought was 'No chance, he lives in Essex'.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Revol @ Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Disastrous wrote:Kill/support my theory here:

Could you have gone with Virgin?

Nope. I did go in with DaThos approach as well. Guess they weren't that bothered about keeping customers as we weren't paying a huge amount, not as much as DaTho but not minimum either.
Revol

Previous

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets