Mobile boosters

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Mobile boosters

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:11 am

We get a very poor signal where we live (Vodafone but most networks seem to struggle) and although I've used the dedicated Vodafone Suresignal thing in the past, with mixed results, I wondered if anyone had any experience of the generic boosters such as https://www.mobileboosteruk.co.uk/produ ... Ao2U8P8HAQ
?
Tokyo Sexwale

Re: Mobile boosters

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:21 am

We had terrible problems with Vodafone after their mast broke about four years ago. They still haven't fixed it because countryside and they couldn't give a shit. It still only pumps out a very weak 2G signal. Likewise they threw Suresignals at us, 1st, 2nd and ultimately 3rd generation boxes. Not only did they cane bandwidth, but they were a security nightmare so eventually I junked them and Vodafone and we left entirely for Three after an exercise in testing SIMs from all the main providers to find one that actually worked and provided a 3G signal. In the same period Three have twice tweaked their mast and indeed I've had a text today saying it's going to be flaky this week as they "upgrade" it.

I spent a while looking into the sort of generic boxes you linked to but couldn't ever find one that had a) decent and reliable reviews and b) could do 3/4G as well as 2G so in the end I gave up and jumped ship. May not be an option for you given your OP, but it also may be worth a punt - I just marched into all the relevant shops one of the days when I was in London and demanded they give me a free SIM to test with before I brought my business to them. EE refused, but T-Mobile / 02 and Three all happily handed one over.
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 am

I bought one but have yet to fit it, sorry. (I've heard they work = fvck all really)

Only one piece of advice. The cable will have to pass through a window frame or hole in the wall and shouldn't be cut and re-joined because they're sealed. The plugs on each end mean you'll have a big hole. So you need to buy a "window jumper" which means you'll only need a small hole. Don't forget you'll only get one length of cable with the kit and will need to order another if you order the window jumper.

OUTSIDE [-----------------1st cable-----------------------][window jumper][--------------------2nd cable----------------]INSIDE

Might save you some time if you order a kit, by not having to wait for extra parts.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:25 am

Cheers KM. Sadly it needs to be Voda for the first response stuff I'm doing.

They seem to come with money back guarantees (as if relevant - if it didn't work, I'd just return it anyway!) so other than a bit of a faff with installation I suppose I've got nothing to lose by trying it...

I'll wait in case anyone else has tried it first though.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 am

Cheers ID - good tip. I was thinking of installing in the loft but that would make life easier.

eta - hurry up and fit it so you can tell me if it works.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Mobile boosters

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:36 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cheers KM. Sadly it needs to be Voda for the first response stuff I'm doing.

They seem to come with money back guarantees (as if relevant - if it didn't work, I'd just return it anyway!) so other than a bit of a faff with installation I suppose I've got nothing to lose by trying it...

I'll wait in case anyone else has tried it first though.

Ah gotcha. Not helpful then. Looks like you might need to either kick ID repeatedly or try and few and find one that works.

Certainly a booster would be more theoretically reliable than the woeful Nosignal boxes and don't require your broadband to be functioning either.
Last edited by Käsemeister on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cheers ID - good tip. I was thinking of installing in the loft but that would make life easier.

Ha! I didn't order the window jumper or extra cable as my mate has all the tech jointing gear and will cut and shut it for me.
BUT you know how long mates take to do things.

That said, he caught his Mrs slut of a wife (I told him so) cheating on him a few weeks ago, moved out, and now has plenty of time.
Silver lining etc.

Also mine is a 4G EE one. Don't know if that makes any difference.

http://www.signalboostersuk.co.uk/products/4G-EE-1800MHZ-Mobile-Signal-Booster-for-100sqm.html
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:53 am

Il Duce wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cheers ID - good tip. I was thinking of installing in the loft but that would make life easier.

Ha! I didn't order the window jumper or extra cable as my mate has all the tech jointing gear and will cut and shut it for me.

That said, he caught his Mrs slut of a wife (I told him so) cheating on him a few weeks ago, moved out, and now has plenty of time.
Silver lining etc.

http://www.signalboostersuk.co.uk/products/4G-EE-1800MHZ-Mobile-Signal-Booster-for-100sqm.html

Looking at that site, it says you need to the location of the antenna to be able to get 3 bars or higher. I'm pretty sure nowhere around my house gets that which rules them all out as I assume they're all the same really - just a extension of a mobile signal rather than an actual boost.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:59 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

Silver lining etc.

Looking at that site, it says you need to the location of the antenna to be able to get 3 bars or higher. I'm pretty sure nowhere around my house gets that which rules them all out as I assume they're all the same really - just a extension of a mobile signal rather than an actual boost.

Ah didn't read that.

I just checked my email receipt and I bought this one not the previous one.

http://www.mobilesignal.co.uk/collections/gsm-1800-boosters/products/iboost-gsm-1800
Last edited by Il Duce on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by moleamol @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Why does it have to be Vodafone Tokes?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 pm

moleamol wrote:Why does it have to be Vodafone Tokes?

OpSec.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Scally wrote:Hi all
have huge problems wwith mobile signal

You have a huge problem with English. I'd sort that out first.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Potelet @ Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am

Hello
I know that the mobile boosters are illegal but how the usage of boosters threatens me? i have bought this >fucing spam cnut link removed< Thanks in advance
Potelet

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:34 am

Potelet wrote: but how the usage of boosters threatens me?

Intriguing, tell me more?
Deuteronomy

Post by moleamol @ Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Potelet wrote:Hello
I know that the mobile boosters are illegal but how the usage of boosters threatens me? i have bought this >fucing spam cnut link removed< Thanks in advance

Please, tell us more Potters!
moleamol

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Mobile blockers are illegal, mobile boosters aren't.

My mother has a booster in her house which was given to her by her mobile company because she's out of line-of-sight from the nearest mast and the reception there is crap.
spast1kunt

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:39 pm

spast1kunt wrote:

Mobile blockers are illegal, mobile boosters aren't.

My mother has a booster in her house which was given to her by her mobile company because she's out of line-of-sight from the nearest mast and the reception there is crap.

Some mobile boosters are illegal.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Disastrous wrote:
moleamol wrote:Why does it have to be Vodafone Tokes?

OpSec.

One eye open, etc.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets