Website help (wordpress)

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Website help (wordpress)

Post by dirtyboy @ Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:40 am

Does anyone on here know anything about websites?

I've been entrusted to create a new website for the local swimming club (god knows how) and i've got a few technical things that are waaaaay out of my knowledge base (as was the entire project to be fair, but i've learnt as i've gone along)

Essentially the headers are sat on the line and that doesn't look very neat. No idea how to move them, can anyone point me in the right directoins please?

Might have some more questions! No idea how to use the events bit!

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (241.33 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
dirtyboy

Re: Website help (wordpress)

Post by Turntable @ Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:31 pm

I am not expert here but try typing something like "Make Events like Timetable above the line"
I can see no flaws to this bit of porgramming
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Strawman @ Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Turntable wrote: porgramming

laugh
Strawman

Post by dirtyboy @ Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Turntable wrote:I am not expert here but try typing something like "Make Events like Timetable above the line"
I can see no flaws to this bit of porgramming

I don't even know what that timetable bit has a fcuking arrow next to it

Internet stuff makes no sense.
dirtyboy

Post by Olaf Manpenguin @ Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:41 pm

IT's probably a CSS issue - hopefully you've been messing with CSS, if not this could be painful...

View the site with the Chrome browser and find/open the Developer Tools. There's a feature in there that allows you to click on an element in the page (in this case, the Home or TimeTable menu item) and it will show you the code that puts the element where it is and it will also show you ALL the CSS that applies to that element. It will let you turn CSS styles on/off or temporarily add new styles to see what will happen. Use this to work out what is styling your menu bar and where to make changes.

As it's Wordpress (which I haven't used for ages), your theme will have its own CSS files which you'll need to fcuk around with.

Most menu bars like that will live in <nav></nav> tags (or possibly <div class="nav"></div> and will be a list (<ul></ul>) with separate <li></li> tags for each menu item, which will contain <a></a> tags to make the link. Any of those could have CSS applied to move the menu up.

tl;dr

Internet stuff is a load of nonsense.
Olaf Manpenguin

Post by BellaBanter @ Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Internet stuff is kind of my life.

So they created this site and just wanted you to clean it up? I would be more in the camp of a redesign. It doesn't look very user friendly or clean and engaging. Another WordPress theme might work better, although it doesn't need to be WordPress at all.

What's your timeline for this project?
BellaBanter

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets