Sanity Price Check

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Sanity Price Check

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:56 am

Aye up, how much would you expect to pay for a Raid 1 hard drive data recovery?
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Re: Sanity Price Check

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am

I don't know what any of that means I'm afraid CW but I'll start the bidding at £12.99.
spast1kunt

Post by moleamol @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:04 am

How much are they trying to charge? Is it in a professional capacity or your own? Why do you need data recovery from Raid 1?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 am

That's a fair point S1K. I don't really know what it means, other than I'm having it done and it's costing me more than £12.99.
Careless Whisperer

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 am

Surely if it's RAID1 you don't need the data recovered ? Or have both disks failed ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by moleamol @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 am

DI Burnside wrote:Surely if it's RAID1 you don't need the data recovered ? Or have both disks failed ?

If the problem is software it will have replicated.
moleamol

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 am

moleamol wrote:How much are they trying to charge? Is it in a professional capacity or your own? Why do you need data recovery from Raid 1?

£450 from a local computery place.

One hard drive died and I stupidly didn't replace it straight away, then the NAS box lost all it's network settings and wouldn't let me connect to it without reformatting the disk etc. Went through a load of forum help options and decided I needed to pay for help rather than stress out myself trying to sort out something I really don't understand.

The data to recover is more of a convenience than an essential.

The computery bloke is telling me it's time consuming work because he has to change the permissions on every file (or may he said folder) to recover.

Going forward, I intend to have one NAS box in RAID 1 format automatically backing up every week or so to another NAS box also running RAID 1. That should build in a bit of resilience for when I don't maintain things quickly enough.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:16 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:The computery bloke is telling me it's time consuming work because he has to change the permissions on every file (or may he said folder) to recover.

Now that is a really fcuking weird excuse.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by moleamol @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:16 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
moleamol wrote:How much are they trying to charge? Is it in a professional capacity or your own? Why do you need data recovery from Raid 1?

£450 from a local computery place.

One hard drive died and I stupidly didn't replace it straight away, then the NAS box lost all it's network settings and wouldn't let me connect to it without reformatting the disk etc. Went through a load of forum help options and decided I needed to pay for help rather than stress out myself trying to sort out something I really don't understand.

The data to recover is more of a convenience than an essential.

The computery bloke is telling me it's time consuming work because he has to change the permissions on every file (or may he said folder) to recover.

Going forward, I intend to have one NAS box in RAID 1 format automatically backing up every week or so to another NAS box also running RAID 1. That should build in a bit of resilience for when I don't maintain things quickly enough.

He wants a decent Christmas night out and is talking bollocks. Try this.
moleamol

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 am

I tried various data recovery software, but nothing could see the drive either through the NAS box or if I plugged it in directly with a hard drive dock.

I spent a few days on it myself and decided it was worth paying for someone else to deal with. At £450 it seems worth it to me, but i'd just like to know whether that is a fair, reasonable, exhorbitant or cheap price as I have no reference point. At that price I guess it reflects a couple of days of his time which doesn't seem terrible?
Careless Whisperer

Sanity Price Check

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

My father recently paid 300+ and that was for simple NTFS not raid. Sounds par for the course for decent deep data recovery. If it's worth it, pay it, if not then...
Last edited by Käsemeister on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by moleamol @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:35 am

Käsemeister wrote:My father recently paid 300+ and that was for simple NTFS not raid. Sounds par for the course for decent deep data recovery. If it's worth it, pay it, if not then...

Raid 1 should simply replicate straight over so data recovery is no more complicated than any other drive. It seems extortionate to me but I suppose that's like Doots saying a respray seems extortionate to him when he can do it himself. It depends how the drives have failed but the permissions thing is bollocks.
moleamol

Post by Hooli @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:24 pm

I don't know if it's any help but we paid £7-800 to recover an 80Gb drive an idiot Dr had saved all his stuff too rather than the network drive he knew he should be using. That drive had a physical fault & wouldn't spin up.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:32 pm

OnTrack estimated me £750 to recover a 500gb drive a while back. There's an initial investigation fee then you get charged by volume for the actual recovery.

I wouldn't believe any outfit that didn't work this way. They should be able to tell you what they can recover and what it will cost, but only commit to anything after an initial investigation.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks.
Yes, he's done an investigation free of charge and has confirmed he can recover everything - about 130gb worth.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Hooli @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:00 pm

CJ+ wrote:OnTrack estimated me £750 to recover a 500gb drive a while back. There's an initial investigation fee then you get charged by volume for the actual recovery.

I wouldn't believe any outfit that didn't work this way. They should be able to tell you what they can recover and what it will cost, but only commit to anything after an initial investigation.

I think it was OnTrack we used too.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by moleamol @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:02 pm

As it's not essential do you want me to have a look before you pay the chap?
moleamol

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:22 pm

moleamol wrote:As it's not essential do you want me to have a look before you pay the chap?

Thanks for the offer, but it's already with him.

Going by other's experiences it doesn't sound like I'm being ripped off, so I'll go with it for an easy life.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm

Mr Clown said the permissions thing sounds like BS too, but thinks £450 is better than the £800-odd he would have expected.

Hope you get it sorted, CW!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets