iPHONE to Android

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: iPHONE to Android

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 am

Hooli wrote:You could just plug your old router in again & use it as a wifi network, without the internet working through it. But I think someone said that months ago & you ignored them too.

I didn't ignore them. Based on that info I bought the Apple tv box but found out that it didn't need the router/wifi thing.

Are you sure this would work or are you guessing?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am

dave_s13 wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Oh I understand it, but it's the extremes some people go to. Common sense will deal with most potential issues; reasonably complex passwords, different passwords for different things, not opening stuff when you don't know where\who it's from, etc.

My dad peeled the WiFi login details sticker off his new router and put it in his safe. Then turns off the router every time he leaves the bungalow.

You can never be too careful.

That's brilliant.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 am

dave_s13 wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Oh I understand it, but it's the extremes some people go to. Common sense will deal with most potential issues; reasonably complex passwords, different passwords for different things, not opening stuff when you don't know where\who it's from, etc.

My dad peeled the WiFi login details sticker off his new router and put it in his safe. Then turns off the router every time he leaves the bungalow.

You can never be too careful.

My Grandad used to physically unplug the television from the wall and pull out the aerial cable from the socket too every single night in case the house got stuck by lightning while he was in bed.
spast1kunt

Post by minimoog @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:34 am

spast1kunt wrote:My Grandad used to physically unplug the television from the wall and pull out the aerial cable from the socket too every single night in case the house got stuck by lightning while he was in bed.

I think everybody's grandparents did this didn't they? There must have been some dire public information warnings broadcast in the '60s or something.
minimoog

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:24 pm

I had at least one elderly relative who was convinced that if you didn't turn the socket off when nothing was plugged into it, valuable electricity would leak out and presumably make a mess all over the floor.
Last edited by CJ+ on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 pm

One of my father's elderly aunts offered us a load of teabags with the tops cut off, in case they might come in useful, because she'd been snipping the tops off with a pair of scissors. She was very impressed with these new teabags because each one had just enough tea in it to make a single cup.
spast1kunt

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Hooli wrote:You could just plug your old router in again & use it as a wifi network, without the internet working through it. But I think someone said that months ago & you ignored them too.

I didn't ignore them. Based on that info I bought the Apple tv box but found out that it didn't need the router/wifi thing.

It certainly should work. You don't need internet access to have a Wi-Fi network. The only thing is, whilst your phone is connected to the internetless Wi-Fi network, it won't bother connecting to its normal 3/4G networks and thus won't have any internet itself.
Last edited by manfromdelmonte on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manfromdelmonte

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:19 pm

CJ+ wrote:I had at least one elderly relative who was convinced that if you didn't turn the socket off when nothing was plugged into it, valuable electricity would leak out and presumably make a mess all over the floor.

I know otherwise sensible people who are well OCD about switching unused plugs off, utterly undeterred that it will cost you money.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

It certainly should work. You don't need internet access to have a Wi-Fi network. The only thing is, whilst your phone is connected to the internetless Wi-Fi network, it won't bother connecting to its normal 3/4G networks and thus won't have any internet itself.

I have a Samsung tablet now too (only a Tab 2) so I might try and link that in some way.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:12 pm

I use my phone as hotspot often. It broadcasts an SSID and a wifi signal so it's a "wifi network". I would assume Android/Chrome does the same?
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:12 pm

I use my phone as hotspot often. It broadcasts an SSID and a wifi signal so it's a "wifi network". I would assume Android/Chrome does the same?
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:I use my phone as hotspot often. It broadcasts an SSID and a wifi signal so it's a "wifi network". I would assume Android/Chrome does the same?

Yours is an Iphone. It's true that it does this but Android does it in a certain way that Chromestick doesn't like.
I think it might be something to do with the bluetooth which I just found out was turned off in the hotspot settings.

I think the iphone uses the bluetooth to stream its content to the apple tv box which mirrors the phone on my tv.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by moleamol @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:12 pm

My Chromecast does that but I don't live in the third world and never considered there was any chance you might not have WiFi.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm

moleamol wrote:My Chromecast does that but I don't live in the third world and never considered there was any chance you might not have WiFi.

Hey hey calm down. I'm not blaming you for recommending it. I can live without mirroring my phone on my tv ok?

Anyway, it's not MY third world, it's YOUR'S. At least Italy doesn't claim to cover 98% of the country with fibre BB. It just says, "if you live outside a town your basically fvcked as far as fast BB is concerned. Fvcking deal with it and go to the bar and talk to people instead you cnut."
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Previous

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets