Streaming probs.

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm

I've got a weird one on my home PC (W10 Home - 8GB RAM).

I get a good internet speed here:
Image

However I can't stream stuff on my PC - it just sits there with a little circle spinning. Youtube, Netflix, FB - anything with video. Streams fine on my Phone, ATV, Firestick etc.

Any thoughts?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I've got a weird one on my home PC (W10 Home - 8GB RAM).

I get a good internet speed here:
Image

However I can't stream stuff on my PC - it just sits there with a little circle spinning. Youtube, Netflix, FB - anything with video. Streams fine on my Phone, ATV, Firestick etc.

Any thoughts?



Needs a Silverlight/Java/Whatever update?
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 38479
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I've got a weird one on my home PC (W10 Home - 8GB RAM).

I get a good internet speed here:
Image

However I can't stream stuff on my PC - it just sits there with a little circle spinning. Youtube, Netflix, FB - anything with video. Streams fine on my Phone, ATV, Firestick etc.

Any thoughts?



Needs a Silverlight/Java/Whatever update?

How would I know?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I've got a weird one on my home PC (W10 Home - 8GB RAM).

I get a good internet speed here:
Image

However I can't stream stuff on my PC - it just sits there with a little circle spinning. Youtube, Netflix, FB - anything with video. Streams fine on my Phone, ATV, Firestick etc.

Any thoughts?



Needs a Silverlight/Java/Whatever update?

How would I know?



Not sure. I'm not sure which PCs use...The other thing it might be is some power saving mode that disables video?
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 38479
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

I'll have a look in the settings for power then and check my java wevs if I can. Cheers!

Any other thoughts while this is going on?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by stuart @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm

THink all this streaming stuff usese html5 nowadays so Flash, Java etc shouldn't be the issue.

Check your browser is the latest version?

What browser are you even using? Have you tried it on multiple and get the same thing?
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 17277
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: All up in your biznez!
Highscores: 2

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

stuart wrote:THink all this streaming stuff usese html5 nowadays so Flash, Java etc shouldn't be the issue.

Check your browser is the latest version?

What browser are you even using? Have you tried it on multiple and get the same thing?

It's the same on firefox and e and also the netflix app (is that in a browser even?).

eta they're up to date.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Does it work if you stream from your phone connected to your home wifi?
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 15430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Does it work if you stream from your phone connected to your home wifi?

Yes perfectly. As do the ATV and firestick. Weird eh? All on the same router that I've re-booted twice.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by stuart @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Netflix uses silverlight behind the scenes.
Youtube uses html 5

Very weird that it's not working on both and across browsers.

Think something is consuming all the resources on the PC. When you try to stream anythign and open task manager. Do you see the CPU or Memory or Bandwith being really high? Are any pegged at 100%

Or maybe the wi-fi thing in your computer is fcuked.
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 17277
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: All up in your biznez!
Highscores: 2

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Bizarrely I had a very similar problem on Monday, also with Virgin. Solved it by doing this as recommended by our IT man.

Open up Device Manager then click on Network Adapters. Mine has Intel Wireless and Intel Ethernet but also two things called Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #3 and #4. I disabled the virtual ones and immediately my wifi started flying.

Could any of CTF's IT experts confirm I did the right thing?
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33273
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I've got a weird one on my home PC (W10 Home - 8GB RAM).

I get a good internet speed here:
Image

However I can't stream stuff on my PC - it just sits there with a little circle spinning. Youtube, Netflix, FB - anything with video. Streams fine on my Phone, ATV, Firestick etc.

Any thoughts?

You haven't got any silly internet security software suite installed, or anything like that? They can fcuk things up big-style.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 15215
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Stand down!

I just ran malware bytes and restarted and it's fine. Weird as the only things it found swede installed when i updated java.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Stand down!

I just ran malware bytes and restarted and it's fine. Weird as the only things it found swede installed when i updated java.

Good to hear you got to the root of the issue.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33273
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Laughgroan.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Stand down!

I just ran malware bytes and restarted and it's fine. Weird as the only things it found swede installed when i updated java.

Good to hear you got to the root of the issue.


Goooooood.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 15430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Hmm and back to square one again. WTF??

Nothing other than the MS security ceej and no virtual adapters.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by moleamol @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Have you tried restarting your computer? Other than that first things I'd try is clearing all the cache and seeing if it works in chrome. After that uninstall and reinstall silverlight. Uninstall in the normal way then go to Netflix and it will say you need this plugin etc and follow the instructions.
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11007
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm

moleamol wrote:Have you tried restarting your computer? Other than that first things I'd try is clearing all the cache and seeing if it works in chrome. After that uninstall and reinstall silverlight. Uninstall in the normal way then go to Netflix and it will say you need this plugin etc and follow the instructions.


I've angrily closed it down now as it seemed to be working again.

I don't really want to switch browser as I have so many bookmarks (with usernames etc) that will fcuk up if I move. I'll do the silverihht thing though thanks. :thumbup:
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Streaming probs.

Post by moleamol @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
moleamol wrote:Have you tried restarting your computer? Other than that first things I'd try is clearing all the cache and seeing if it works in chrome. After that uninstall and reinstall silverlight. Uninstall in the normal way then go to Netflix and it will say you need this plugin etc and follow the instructions.


I've angrily closed it down now as it seemed to be working again.

I don't really want to switch browser as I have so many bookmarks (with usernames etc) that will fcuk up if I move. I'll do the silverihht thing though thanks. :thumbup:

Chrome should import them, but I would do that just to eliminate it being browser problems, you don't have to stick with it. Silverlight thing might work anyway.
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11007
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam


Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles