Computers & Reliability

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Computers & Reliability

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am

OK, so we're all used to the constant fcuking around over the years with blue screens of death, random hanging, never-ending software updates, compatibility issues etc.

I dare say this has not been significantly different to the rapid growth of the automobile, or industrialisation in general. However, we're now progressing to the stage where 'everything' is becoming computer controlled - surely attitudes towards constantly, rapidly 'improving' technology need to change before we can rely on computers to control the really important things in life?

Take a car forex. These days we no longer expect or accept cars being off the road for unreliability issues. If your new car failed to start on the driveway one morning you'd be slagging off the manufacturer on twitter before you've even called your boss to get fired for being unable to get into work. It's simply inconceivable to accept buying a new car, then have sit for five minutes every morning while it updates, only to then find your phone no longer pairs with it, or your music collection is no longer available etc.

And another forex, houses. Houses have traditionally been pretty backward places of technology, where the bricks stand for a hundred years or so and the electric works, the water flows unless it leaks, then it gets fixed for another few decades and the gas just works unless it blows you up. Can you imagine the heating not coming on in the morning because the gas meter has crashed during an automatic update?

So with all this in mind, when can I expect to be able to buy a fcuking laptop that just works and doesn't keep fcuking around with everything on a daily basis?
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Re: Computers & Reliability

Post by Strawman @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Most of the software updates are patches to solve security issues, hackers are working constantly to develop new exploits for all operating systems, so the developers have to constantly update the product to cover these new exploits as they become aware of them. Still annoying but not really the manufacturers fault, AFAIK.
Strawman

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 pm

I was thinking of this just yesterday when Tokes said that his iPhone 6 was starting to crash on him. It can only be a couple of years old and cost a lot of money new so really it ought to be working properly for a good ten years or so in my opinion.

My Sky+HD box occasionally crashes and needs to be switched off at the plug. I suppose it's about seven or eight years old. So far it's always worked again okay when it's switched back on but presumably it'll die for good at some point.
spast1kunt

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 pm

My anecdotal observation is that some people always have problems with computers, and some people don't.

Don't know what to suggest, other than "don't be some people".

I've got loads of computers (two laptops, two PCs (look I dunno, they just pile up, alright?), a couple of tablets, some phones and assorted other stuff - xbox, tivo, router and assorted techno gubbins) and I don't have half or even ten percent of the trouble that my father-in-law does with his one laptop.

This doesn't help you, though. Can only surmise that FiL is some people.
Last edited by CJ+ on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:21 pm

I think when I got bored with constantly tinkering with my computers in order to fit new graphics cards or to tweak setting so a game would run well then things started to get far more reliable.
Then despite my PC background we went all Mac when feeling particularly flush, again if you keep them up to date and don't tinker it they seem to run without ever crashing, boring and expensive but reliable has been my experience*

* Other experiences may be available
desertweasel

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:44 pm

CJ+ wrote:... I don't have half or even ten percent of the trouble that my father-in-law does with his one laptop.

God yes, my Parents and In-Laws are just the same. But one day I'll be old too, and by then my entire life will be run by computers...
Careless Whisperer

Post by mmm-five @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 pm

I use Mac PCs & Windows laptops (work supplied), and also Windows on Mac via Bootcamp.

I find my Mac doesn't crash whether it's running macOS Sierra it on or Windows 10 via bootcamp.

However, the work laptops (Lenovo, HP, Dell) always seem to slow down significantly over the course of about 6 months, and are more prone to a dodgy app/process bringing the whole system down.

I tend to relegate my 'main' Mac to a backup role after about 5 years, but the last 2 are still running (with slightly older operating systems) with the family members who inherited them - I also don't have to carry put any 'maintenance' on them for the new owners. One is a 2008 MacPro and the other a 2011 white iMac. I still use a 2013 iMac for clients where I have to take my own machine, or use a 2015 iMac 5k as my home/game machine (most games are installed/run in Windows 10 under bootcamp).

I assume part of the perceived/actual 'reliability' of the Mac/macOS over Windows machines is that Apple can more tightly control/design the firmware/drivers/kernel of the Mac as they're the ones designing both the hardware & software. Windows has to run with millions of possible combinations and then lets other manufacturers install their own drivers which may conflict with others.
mmm-five

Post by moleamol @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 pm

CJ+ wrote:My anecdotal observation is that some people always have problems with computers, and some people don't.

Don't know what to suggest, other than "don't be some people".

I've got loads of computers (two laptops, two PCs (look I dunno, they just pile up, alright?), a couple of tablets, some phones and assorted other stuff - xbox, tivo, router and assorted techno gubbins) and I don't have half or even ten percent of the trouble that my father-in-law does with his one laptop.

This doesn't help you, though. Can only surmise that FiL is some people.

Agree totally, also some IT departments within businesses are shit.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Dirk @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:OK, so we're all used to the constant fcuking around over the years with blue screens of death, random hanging, never-ending software updates, compatibility issues etc.

Can't remember the last time I had blue screen of death. Quite some time
Don't have too many compatibility issues because I stick to windows - no apple stuff
Never ending s/w updates? Only one that springs to mind is itunes
AT home most hanging is down to our shit internet. At least I think so

Do have one work tool that is a bit shit and slow. To be fair it does take a beating in terms of what its asked to look through

I guess I'm not one of those people either
Dirk

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Who gives a shit about "never ending software updates"? They download in the background, they install in the background, once in a blue moon they need a restart.

This here laptop (not an old shit one either; i7/8GB Dell XPS 13 with the fancy screen) is on the Windows Insider programme (i.e. pre-release builds of Windows) on the "Fast" ring (i.e. lots of updates) and I'd struggle to describe even this as receiving "never-ending software updates".

Random hangs at the OS level have not been a thing since Windows XP. Ditto BSODs - they're now a reliable indicator of hardware failure.

VERDICT: CW is some people.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets