***Photographs that move you

Happy snappers.

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Disastrous wrote:I think it's pretty horrible how uncomfortable the young chap with the gun looks. I think we imagine the Nazis as being monstrous but sometimes forget that a lot of them were simply too scared to resist their superiors.


Interesting point of view D. I don't see that at all. I see a young man setting about his task as though he was doing some filing or a bit of typing with not a second thought to its consequence.
User avatar
Gnostic Ascent
 
Posts: 5269
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gone @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Redleicester wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I think it's pretty horrible how uncomfortable the young chap with the gun looks. I think we imagine the Nazis as being monstrous but sometimes forget that a lot of them were simply too scared to resist their superiors.


Interesting, your point is a good one, but in this instance I wouldn't have said he looks in the slightest bit uncomfortable, more totally unmoved and nonchalant.



It's an odd one. I can see both perspectives in it, if you see what I mean? Generally, I'd expect there to be more tension across the arm, etc. if it was something done out of hatred, but I guess nonchalance and reluctance might appear very similar in terms of body language (if your reluctance was tempered by trying to not look reluctant in front of your peers).

ANyway, I'm probably spending far too long analysing a pic but I've not seen it before and I find it quite uncomfortable to look at...
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39456
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:29 pm

It's not a photo that moves me as such, but I thought it was interesting/relevant to the times.

Image
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14256
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gone @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:30 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by scotal @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:That lynching photo really disturbed me as a child. It was in an encyclopaedia/reference book.

I was horrified at the way people were actually smiling in the watching crowd.


The following account is drawn from James Cameron’s book, A Time of Terror:
Thousands of Indianans carrying picks, bats, ax handles, crowbars, torches, and firearms attacked the Grant County Courthouse, determined to "get those goddamn Niggers." A barrage of rocks shattered the jailhouse windows, sending dozens of frantic inmates in search of cover. A sixteen-year-old boy, James Cameron, one of the three intended victims, paralyzed by fear and incomprehension, recognized familiar faces in the crowd-schoolmates, and customers whose lawns he had mowed and whose shoes he had polished-as they tried to break down the jailhouse door with sledgehammers. Many police officers milled outside with the crowd, joking. Inside, fifty guards with guns waited downstairs. The door was ripped from the wall, and a mob of fifty men beat Thomas Shipp senseless and dragged him into the street. The waiting crowd "came to life." It seemed to Cameron that "all of those ten to fifteen thousand people were trying to hit him all at once." The dead Shipp was dragged with a rope up to the window bars of the second victim, Abram Smith. For twenty minutes, citizens pushed and shoved for a closer look at the "dead nigger." By the time Abe Smith was hauled out he was equally mutilated. " Those who were not close enough to hit him threw rocks and bricks. Somebody rammed a crowbar through his chest several times in great satisfaction." Smith was dead by the time the mob dragged him "like a horse" to the courthouse square and hung him from a tree. The lynchers posed for photos under the limb that held the bodies of the two dead men.
Then the mob headed back for James Cameron and "mauled him all the way to the courthouse square," shoving and kicking him to the tree, where the lynchers put a hanging rope around his neck. Cameron credited an unidentified woman’s voice with silencing the mob (Cameron, a devout Roman Catholic, believes that it was the voice of the Virgin Mary) and opening a path for his retreat to the county jail and, ultimately, for saving his life. Mr. Cameron has committed his life to retelling the horrors of his experience and "the Black Holocaust" in his capacity as director and founder of the museum with the same name in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Under magnification, one can see the girls in this photo clutching ragged swatches of dark cloth.

After souvenir hunters divvied up the bloodied pants of Abram Smith, his naked lower body was clothed in a Klansman’s robe-not unlike the loincloth in traditional depictions of Christ on the cross. Lawrence Beitler, a studio photographer, took this photo. For ten days and nights he printed thousands of copies, which sold for fifty cents apiece.


Textbox picture # 28:
A short man with a Hitler moustache points to the body of Abram Smith. On his inner arm is tattooed the bust of an Indian woman. Indiana historians and researchers are interviewing the reluctant Marion citizens old enough to remember the lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith. One of their goals is to identify the individuals in this disturbing photo, not to demonize them, but to better understand the factors that produced such a violent and tyrannical era. No one knows who Bo was."

THat was apparently taken in 1930......
scotal
 
Posts: 5497
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

I love the colour of their eyes. Fantastic.
User avatar
Gnostic Ascent
 
Posts: 5269
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

"Pretty" picture, and if it weren't for that arch of iron and those words would be totally innocuous.

Image
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37310
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by scotal @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I think it's pretty horrible how uncomfortable the young chap with the gun looks. I think we imagine the Nazis as being monstrous but sometimes forget that a lot of them were simply too scared to resist their superiors.


Interesting point of view D. I don't see that at all. I see a young man setting about his task as though he was doing some filing or a bit of typing with not a second thought to its consequence.



i guess if he was responsible, or even present at the deaths of the people in that hole, you would become numb to it pretty quckly.
scotal
 
Posts: 5497
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Image

Verdun 1915. Ow.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37310
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Nicol@ @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Here is mine (1994 Pulitzer prize winner)

Image
User avatar
Nicol@
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 pm

scotal wrote:
Gnostic Ascent wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I think it's pretty horrible how uncomfortable the young chap with the gun looks. I think we imagine the Nazis as being monstrous but sometimes forget that a lot of them were simply too scared to resist their superiors.


Interesting point of view D. I don't see that at all. I see a young man setting about his task as though he was doing some filing or a bit of typing with not a second thought to its consequence.



i guess if he was responsible, or even present at the deaths of the people in that hole, you would become numb to it pretty quckly.


I agree totally but then the moral problem. Does the force of your "Superiors" excuse your action? Should the young man have stood his ground, been shot and thrown into the pit himself for disobeying an order?
User avatar
Gnostic Ascent
 
Posts: 5269
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by scotal @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:
scotal wrote:
Gnostic Ascent wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I think it's pretty horrible how uncomfortable the young chap with the gun looks. I think we imagine the Nazis as being monstrous but sometimes forget that a lot of them were simply too scared to resist their superiors.


Interesting point of view D. I don't see that at all. I see a young man setting about his task as though he was doing some filing or a bit of typing with not a second thought to its consequence.



i guess if he was responsible, or even present at the deaths of the people in that hole, you would become numb to it pretty quckly.


I agree totally but then the moral problem. Does the force of your "Superiors" excuse your action? Should the young man have stood his ground, been shot and thrown into the pit himself for disobeying an order?



I guess that by the time he was standing on the edge of a pit killing people, he'd spent so long being told that any non- German/aryan/nazi was worthless scum it would probably come easy, so there was not much thought in his mind that what he was doing was wrong. I have a nasty feeling that it would be pretty easy to get swept up in that sort of dictatorship, and end up in thrall to the "greater good".

In direct answer to your question I'm pretty sure I wouldnt have the guts to sacrifice myself, especially when the guy I was shooting would end up dead anyway.
scotal
 
Posts: 5497
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by WD40 @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm

MayBe wrote:It's not a photo that moves me as such, but I thought it was interesting/relevant to the times.

Image


I've seen that picture (on teh left at least) crop up here and there, but as yet the significance of it has passed me by - can someone enlighten a Philistine?

Also - some amazingly evocative images here chaps. The last Jew one C2 posted is somehow more harrowing to my eyes than the lynching one - which in itself is disturbing enough.

Brilliant thread all.
WD40
 
Posts: 34079
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by scotal @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Illustrious_Len wrote:I've seen that picture (on teh left at least) crop up here and there, but as yet the significance of it has passed me by - can someone enlighten a Philistine?.



Sharbat Gula (Pashto: شربت ګله, literally "Rose Sherbet") (Sharbat is pronounced [ˈʃaɾbat]) (born ca. 1972) is an Afghan woman of Pashtun ethnicity. She was forced to leave her home in Afghanistan during the Soviet war for a refugee camp in Pakistan where she was photographed by journalist Steve McCurry. The image brought her recognition when it was featured on the cover of the June 1985 issue of National Geographic Magazine, at a time when she was approximately 12 years old. Gula was known throughout the world simply as the Afghan Girl until she was formally identified in early 2002.


The right hand picture is her when they went back and found her.
scotal
 
Posts: 5497
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by WD40 @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:40 pm

scotal wrote:
Sharbat Gula (Pashto: شربت ګله, literally "Rose Sherbet") (Sharbat is pronounced [ˈʃaɾbat]) (born ca. 1972) is an Afghan woman of Pashtun ethnicity. She was forced to leave her home in Afghanistan during the Soviet war for a refugee camp in Pakistan where she was photographed by journalist Steve McCurry. The image brought her recognition when it was featured on the cover of the June 1985 issue of National Geographic Magazine, at a time when she was approximately 12 years old. Gula was known throughout the world simply as the Afghan Girl until she was formally identified in early 2002.


The right hand picture is her when they went back and found her.


Cheers. Blimey.
WD40
 
Posts: 34079
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:42 pm

The lynching photograph is truly horrific. According to the Tuskagee Institute there were 4743 lynchings between 1882 and 1968.

Just shocking.
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14256
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by scotal @ Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:45 pm

MayBe wrote:The lynching photograph is truly horrific. According to the Tuskagee Institute there were 4743 lynchings between 1882 and 1968.

Just shocking.



What I find weird is that those guys were dead when they put them up there.

Once guy i found was beaten, covered in coal oil, and then set alight...... you'd have to be beyond cross to do that to someone, and yet the people in that lynching photo look fairly ordinary.
scotal
 
Posts: 5497
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Moving Pictures

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

blindswelledrat wrote::biglaugh:
Just what about those two really moving pictures did you think precluded them from a thread entitled: "Photographs that move you"?

Good ones though.


Damn. I did a search with very nearly that string as I was convinced it was there, but no find.... will move them!
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37310
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Redleicester wrote:I didn't think these two fitted terribly well in the other pic threads that I could find, so here they are instead.

Image

Image
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37310
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:39 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 31853
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Was sent a few today, the others are better/worse depending on whether one is looking at the quality of the photography or the depth of the subject matter. Not sure I can bring myself to upload them
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37310
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by pumpetypump @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Some of these are hauntingly beautiful but simultaneously make me feel sick.
User avatar
pumpetypump
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Towie @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Time for something a little more positive.

This one blew me away when i was a kid. It was taken by apollo 8 so that makes me about 8 years old.

Image

This one still makes me think.

Image

Taken from the LEM on apollo 11. One astronaut, Mike Collins was left alone in here while the other two landed on the moon. I always wondered how he felt. Firstly because he must have known he was always destined to be the "forgotten" explorer, but secondly what must have gone through his mind when he was orbiting alone. Obviously he would be aware that his friends may not have come back up from the moon, but more importantly he had so much time to consider his own insignificance in the whole scheme of things. Imagine being in a tiny steel box, alone, watching the earth come round the moon - quite literally awesome.
User avatar
Towie
 
Posts: 10127
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: location location

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Towie @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Sad one? JFK's kid saluting at his funeral.
User avatar
Towie
 
Posts: 10127
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: location location

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by WD40 @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Towie wrote: One astronaut, Mike Collins was left alone in here while the other two landed on the moon. I always wondered how he felt. Firstly because he must have known he was always destined to be the "forgotten" explorer, but secondly what must have gone through his mind when he was orbiting alone. Obviously he would be aware that his friends may not have come back up from the moon, but more importantly he had so much time to consider his own insignificance in the whole scheme of things. Imagine being in a tiny steel box, alone, watching the earth come round the moon - quite literally awesome.


I'd have enjoyed being him - alone on the dark side of the moon, the most isolated from the rest of humanity man has ever been. Awesome. Somewhere around here somebody posted the music he alledgedly listened to during that period of darkness - I'm buggered if I can remember what it is. I also like that the second man on the moon was a manic-depressive - it's a handy motivator that mental illness isn't a barrier to achieving great things if you don't let it be.

Plus I might have been a bit of a cnut and strung it out for an extra orbit or two before picking the others up to shit them up good and proper, first-men-stepping-on-the-moon cnuts :hehe:
WD40
 
Posts: 34079
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gone @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Towie @ Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Cheers G.
User avatar
Towie
 
Posts: 10127
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: location location

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:54 am

Illustrious_Len wrote:
Towie wrote: One astronaut, Mike Collins was left alone in here while the other two landed on the moon. I always wondered how he felt. Firstly because he must have known he was always destined to be the "forgotten" explorer, but secondly what must have gone through his mind when he was orbiting alone. Obviously he would be aware that his friends may not have come back up from the moon, but more importantly he had so much time to consider his own insignificance in the whole scheme of things. Imagine being in a tiny steel box, alone, watching the earth come round the moon - quite literally awesome.


I'd have enjoyed being him - alone on the dark side of the moon, the most isolated from the rest of humanity man has ever been. Awesome. Somewhere around here somebody posted the music he alledgedly listened to during that period of darkness - I'm buggered if I can remember what it is. I also like that the second man on the moon was a manic-depressive - it's a handy motivator that mental illness isn't a barrier to achieving great things if you don't let it be.

Plus I might have been a bit of a cnut and strung it out for an extra orbit or two before picking the others up to shit them up good and proper, first-men-stepping-on-the-moon cnuts :hehe:


This is what separates us civilians from military types. Mike Collins didn't care about the self agrandissement of stepping on the moon. He was part of a team. The whole was more than the individuals*.

* don't dare quote that vulcan shit at me from star trek. It's fiction you idiots
User avatar
Gnostic Ascent
 
Posts: 5269
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: ***Photographs that move you

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37310
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

PreviousNext

Return to Photography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles