Taken any good pictures lately?

Happy snappers.

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:Clouds are completely different...



Yeah, I must have clicked on the wrong one. :shrug:


Probably clicked on the one where Hitler gets killed as a baby.



I well wish I had that in my Lightroom catalogue...
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39276
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Hooli wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Mostly from the trail caused by the plane landing/taking off (can you tell from the flight path which it is??) in the background.


Take off I think as it is steeper nearer the ground. For landing I'd expect to see the glide path get shallower as the pilot flared before touchdown.


For sure take off as you can see the red of the port wing nav light
desertweasel
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by deev @ Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Disastrous wrote:Took this last night which I was quite pleased with:


Image

Mostly from the trail caused by the plane landing/taking off (can you tell from the flight path which it is??) in the background.

Also, a question for any techy photographers here:

See the two red lights to the left of the photo? When you zoom in, they have a strange, slightly dappled quality to them, as if they have distorted slightly. It looks different to the usual perfectly smooth stars round lights that I normally get when I take a long exposure. What is causing it? It's a lens I've used several times for long exposure stuff but I think this is probably as long as I've ever taken - 30 seconds or so...

At first I wondered if it might have been because it was a windy night but everything but the lights seems pretty sharp.

That's annoying me as I can't work out where it was taken from, the Hilton? The footbridge over the Kingston Bridge?
User avatar
deev
Banger King
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Giffnock
Highscores: 3

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Strawman @ Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Stuart's flat I think.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39746
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by deev @ Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:57 pm

Stuarts flat is in the photo on the left if he lives where I think he lives anyway. Incidentally Stuart, is your view about to get wrecked by that new block they're chucking up down there?
User avatar
deev
Banger King
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Giffnock
Highscores: 3

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:39 am

deev wrote:Stuarts flat is in the photo on the left if he lives where I think he lives anyway. Incidentally Stuart, is your view about to get wrecked by that new block they're chucking up down there?



Yup - stuart would be bottom right building I think?
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39276
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Dirk @ Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:03 am

If its taken from inside a building (Crown Plaza more likely than Hilton I think), does the hotel window explain the dappling?
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30553
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Hooli @ Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:28 am

That's a point don't a lot of buildings have strange coatings on the glass to reflect heat etc?
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:19 am

Taken outside so glass not a problem in this instance...pretty sure it's the lens.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39276
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Strawman @ Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 am

Lucky this is an obscure website or stuart might feel doxed.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39746
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Pigeon @ Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Disastrous wrote:See the two red lights to the left of the photo? When you zoom in, they have a strange, slightly dappled quality to them, as if they have distorted slightly. It looks different to the usual perfectly smooth stars round lights that I normally get when I take a long exposure. What is causing it?


That's JPEG compression artefacts. Its tendency to horizontal/vertical orientation gives it away, and this confirms it:

First one:

$ jhead /tmp/IMG_2417.jpg
File name : /tmp/IMG_2417.jpg
File size : 1430920 bytes
File date : 2017:08:05 14:16:48
Resolution : 6000 x 3103
JPEG Quality : 77
$ jhead /tmp/IMG_2415.jpg
File name : ../IMG_2415.jpg
File size : 2834243 bytes
File date : 2017:08:05 14:18:47
Camera make : Canon
Camera model : Canon EOS M3
Date/Time : 2017:09:03 05:12:16
Resolution : 6000 x 4000
Flash used : No
Focal length : 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 89mm)
CCD width : 22.33mm
Exposure time: 6.000 s
Aperture : f/18.0
ISO equiv. : 640
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: pattern
Exposure : Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
JPEG Quality : 87
======= IPTC data: =======
City :
Record vers. : 2
DateCreated : 20170903
Time Created : 051216
$

77 is really pretty ropy so it's not surprising it shows up. 87 is more like it. 85 is usually taken to be the minimum for showing decent photos on the web.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24018
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 am

Pigeon wrote:
Disastrous wrote:See the two red lights to the left of the photo? When you zoom in, they have a strange, slightly dappled quality to them, as if they have distorted slightly. It looks different to the usual perfectly smooth stars round lights that I normally get when I take a long exposure. What is causing it?


That's JPEG compression artefacts. Its tendency to horizontal/vertical orientation gives it away, and this confirms it:

First one:

$ jhead /tmp/IMG_2417.jpg
File name : /tmp/IMG_2417.jpg
File size : 1430920 bytes
File date : 2017:08:05 14:16:48
Resolution : 6000 x 3103
JPEG Quality : 77
$ jhead /tmp/IMG_2415.jpg
File name : ../IMG_2415.jpg
File size : 2834243 bytes
File date : 2017:08:05 14:18:47
Camera make : Canon
Camera model : Canon EOS M3
Date/Time : 2017:09:03 05:12:16
Resolution : 6000 x 4000
Flash used : No
Focal length : 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 89mm)
CCD width : 22.33mm
Exposure time: 6.000 s
Aperture : f/18.0
ISO equiv. : 640
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: pattern
Exposure : Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
JPEG Quality : 87
======= IPTC data: =======
City :
Record vers. : 2
DateCreated : 20170903
Time Created : 051216
$

77 is really pretty ropy so it's not surprising it shows up. 87 is more like it. 85 is usually taken to be the minimum for showing decent photos on the web.


I'm not convinced pidge. It's there on the RAW and a lot of that data is wrong.

ISO 100
30 second exposure
f 11 (iirc)
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39276
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by stuart @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:41 am

My flat is about beihjt left in that photo. I'm on 6th floor.

And yes view UA destroyed by this bloodybhotel.
Last edited by stuart on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 18018
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: There
Highscores: 2

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 am

stuart wrote:My flat is about beihjt left in that photo. I'm on 6th floor.

And yes view UA destroyed by this bloodybhotel.
Good grief Stuart!
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13004
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Pigeon @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:18 am

Disastrous wrote:I'm not convinced pidge. It's there on the RAW and a lot of that data is wrong.


A lot of it usually is wrong, but the quality figure is dependable.

This is what I'm looking at, in case you've seen something different: (enlarged/contrast jiggered to make it more obvious)

IMG_2417.png
IMG_2417.png (343.39 KiB) Viewed 2212 times


If that stuff is on the RAW then I'd be asking linguists about possible ambiguities that might allow "raw data" in English to map to "lossy compression" in Japanese.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24018
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Hooli @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 am

stuart wrote:My flat is about beihjt left in that photo. I'm on 6th floor.

And yes view UA destroyed by this bloodybhotel.


Good night out Stuart?
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I'm not convinced pidge. It's there on the RAW and a lot of that data is wrong.


A lot of it usually is wrong, but the quality figure is dependable.

This is what I'm looking at, in case you've seen something different: (enlarged/contrast jiggered to make it more obvious)

IMG_2417.png


If that stuff is on the RAW then I'd be asking linguists about possible ambiguities that might allow "raw data" in English to map to "lossy compression" in Japanese.



I think we're looking at different things. I've not uploaded the RAW because it's over 30mb - the second image is just an unproccesed JPEG from the RAW so yes, it's got compression artefacts.

It's also slightly obscured the problem but it's a sort of prismatic halo around light sources to the outside of the fov - it's present in the RAW so I'm sure it's not just a jpeg thing...
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39276
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Quick one out of the window last night.

Image
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16217
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:09 pm

More of the same hills:

Image

Phones today, eh? Aren't they brilliant?
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16217
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by moleamol @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 pm

I took these pictures separately. Google Photos figured they were all close together and stitched them into a Panorama without me even asking and just sent a notification to my phone with it! It's Coniston viewed from the top of a Green Lane we did yesterday.

Image
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by deev @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:58 pm

moleamol wrote:I took these pictures separately. Google Photos figured they were all close together and stitched them into a Panorama without me even asking and just sent a notification to my phone with it! It's Coniston viewed from the top of a Green Lane we did yesterday.

Image

Google photos is kind of witchcrafty, it sorts them into sections based on what it thinks is in the images too.
User avatar
deev
Banger King
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Giffnock
Highscores: 3

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by moleamol @ Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:51 pm

deev wrote:
moleamol wrote:I took these pictures separately. Google Photos figured they were all close together and stitched them into a Panorama without me even asking and just sent a notification to my phone with it! It's Coniston viewed from the top of a Green Lane we did yesterday.

Image

Google photos is kind of witchcrafty, it sorts them into sections based on what it thinks is in the images too.

It is a little bit scary, you can even search by location.
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by minimoog @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 am

moleamol wrote:I took these pictures separately. Google Photos figured they were all close together and stitched them into a Panorama without me even asking and just sent a notification to my phone with it! It's Coniston viewed from the top of a Green Lane we did yesterday.

Image


I've done that green lane to that spot. It's a great crawl over the boulders up to it huh?
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9626
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 am

I need someone to PM me where this is please, as I'm going to that area in my Wagon in a couple of weeks.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13004
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by moleamol @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am

minimoog wrote:
moleamol wrote:I took these pictures separately. Google Photos figured they were all close together and stitched them into a Panorama without me even asking and just sent a notification to my phone with it! It's Coniston viewed from the top of a Green Lane we did yesterday.

Image


I've done that green lane to that spot. It's a great crawl over the boulders up to it huh?

It's a beast now. I'll add a couple more and a vid when I get round to doing the thread on my Landy but the lad stood in this pic is 6'1 for perspective. But yeah, it was great fun.

Image
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 am

Oh. Maybe not.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13004
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by minimoog @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I need someone to PM me where this is please, as I'm going to that area in my Wagon in a couple of weeks.


It's the route that starts at High Nibthwaite at the south end of Coniston Water here (filter map for 4x4 routes if the link doesn't preserve the options)

http://my.viewranger.com/route/search#!54.28268558232328|-3.0594080334471982|12
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9626
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by minimoog @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh. Maybe not.


:hehe:
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9626
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by minimoog @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:52 am

moleamol wrote:It's a beast now.


It was a beast when I did it too. As a noob I couldn't quite believe you could drive up some of the sections there, until I actually did.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9626
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Taken any good pictures lately?

Post by moleamol @ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh. Maybe not.

I wouldn't go on your own Datho, still loads of accessible places for good views by road around there though, and I'll ask my mates about gentler lanes.

Watch the vid from about 10 mins and bear in mind there's been 3 more years of rain to wash it away for an idea of what it's like now.

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63o8rkQMzcU
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

PreviousNext

Return to Photography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles