I have been suspended from work

Business, employment and matters of the law.

Re: I have been suspended from work

Post by minimoog @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:53 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I would want that in writing, particularly with how disorganised they sound.

That's just it - I'd like ANYTHING in writing!

As in I wouldn't be sat at home drinking cider. I would be there in their office getting something in writing. As a minimum you have to be e-mailing them rather than crossing your fingers and hoping it'll all be fine.

What happens if/when you don't get paid at all? It's entirely their word against yours at this point.

Sounds good but conversely can they just stop paying him without any kind of formal notification? I'd have thought not.
minimoog

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:56 pm

minimoog wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I would want that in writing, particularly with how disorganised they sound.

That's just it - I'd like ANYTHING in writing!

As in I wouldn't be sat at home drinking cider. I would be there in their office getting something in writing. As a minimum you have to be e-mailing them rather than crossing your fingers and hoping it'll all be fine.

What happens if/when you don't get paid at all? It's entirely their word against yours at this point.

Sounds good but conversely can they just stop paying him without any kind of formal notification? I'd have thought not.

They told him verbally in the first meeting he was suspended without pay didn't they? The note taker's minutes will show that I'm sure.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by whyohwhy @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:57 pm

I found ACAS helpful when y last employer decided employment law didn't apply to them. There is a free line you can call for advice on these sorts of matters.

Agree with others in that you need to be pro active and at least email your employer and ask for clarification as to what is happening.

Email best as there is a "paper trail" Obv ensure your emails are polite and factual.

•Get advice about your rights from the Acas helpline (0300 123 1100) or Helpline Online.

Edit to add number
Last edited by whyohwhy on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyohwhy

Post by Otto Sump @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm

thekungfury wrote:They told him verbally in the first meeting he was suspended without pay didn't they? The note taker's minutes will show that I'm sure.

With pay.
Otto Sump

Post by whyohwhy @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Also Otto

How do they know that the tyres were flat spotted when you did your checks.

Did you check them after your last run?

Otherwise how do you know the damage wasn't caused between your last check and leaving the trailer.
whyohwhy

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Otto Sump wrote:
thekungfury wrote:They told him verbally in the first meeting he was suspended without pay didn't they? The note taker's minutes will show that I'm sure.

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto
Bodhi

Post by Otto Sump @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto

What? I've been suspended before, about three years ago, and that was on full pay for over two weeks.
Otto Sump

Post by whyohwhy @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Otto Sump wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto

What? I've been suspended before, about three years ago, and that was on full pay for over two weeks.

So that was with the same employer?
Was that for a similar offence and what was the outcome?
whyohwhy

Post by Otto Sump @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:09 pm

whyohwhy wrote:So that was with the same employer?

Same employer, yes. On the face of it, a similar offence in that I failed to spot some damage to a tyre/wheel on a trailer, but in fact quite different circumstances. It resulted in a Final Written Warning and I got my job back. Obvs.
Otto Sump

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:14 pm

Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Prove it

Penny dropping?
thekungfury

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:15 pm

Otto Sump wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto

Teeks is saying that because you've nothing in writing it's their word against yours, and of course they can find the notes of the initial meeting that confirms you were told you were suspended without pay.
Bodhi

Post by Otto Sump @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto

Teeks is saying that because you've nothing in writing it's their word against yours, and of course they can find the notes of the initial meeting that confirms you were told you were suspended without pay.

Yes, I get it, but as I've said my previous suspension was on full pay without any "proof".
Otto Sump

Post by whyohwhy @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Otto Sump wrote:

Same employer, yes. On the face of it, a similar offence in that I failed to spot some damage to a tyre/wheel on a trailer, but in fact quite different circumstances. It resulted in a Final Written Warning and I got my job back. Obvs.

You need to get some advice. I think there is a time limit on warnings on your record but not 100% sure.

You need to speak to Citizens advice or ACAS and make sure of your next move. I wouldn't be waiting for them unless I had something in writing telling me to. Nor would I be sure I was being paid, unless I had that in writing, especially as you have said there is a guy there who doesn't like you.
whyohwhy

Post by whyohwhy @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto

You should have a copy of those notes as well
whyohwhy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Otto Sump wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

With pay.

Oh Otto.

Sweet simple Otto

Yes, I get it, but as I've said my previous suspension was on full pay without any "proof".

Dearest Otto, I've not seen the notes, but I can guarantee they'll say without pay. They might not do at this very moment, but they will...
Deuteronomy

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:25 pm

Otto Sump wrote:

What normally happens if there's another similar incident after a final written warning?
Bodhi

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

What normally happens if there's another similar incident after a final written warning?

Ooh, ooooh! I know this one!!
thekungfury

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:28 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Otto Sump wrote:

Ooh, ooooh! I know this one!!

I think I do too.
Bodhi

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Otto Sump wrote:a similar offence in that I failed to spot some damage to a tyre/wheel on a trailer, but in fact quite different circumstances. It resulted in a Final Written Warning

Surprised
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Piquet @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Oh no! Does Otto have to organise the Christmas do?
Piquet

Post by Barbarianna @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Otto Sump wrote:
That's what the girlfriend has suggested, but I'm not sure if I'm man enough to play "resignation chicken" with them.

Inexcusable not to act when you have a viable route.

Bumper-sticker required:
Courage is not borne of being fearless, but acting in spite of fear.
Barbarianna

Post by deev @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 pm

You can only suspend without pay if that is stated in your contract and even then the onus is on the employer to prove that they have acted reasonably in doing so. I'd be surprised if Otto was suspended without pay but I'd have triple checked my contract and have copies of everything they said etc.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by ypauly @ Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:56 pm

deev wrote:You can only suspend without pay if that is stated in your contract and even then the onus is on the employer to prove that they have acted reasonably in doing so. I'd be surprised if Otto was suspended without pay but I'd have triple checked my contract and have copies of everything they said etc.

I think the fact that they have done it before sets some sort of president that to change would itself require written notification, even if the written contract says different.
ypauly

Post by deev @ Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Bush or Obama?
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by ypauly @ Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:39 am

deev wrote:Bush or Obama?

Got me :hehe:

Is it too late to put the C in?
ypauly

Post by Otto Sump @ Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Letter(s) of resignation posted on Friday (one to the Transport Manager and a copy to HR). It would appear that they have arrived, as I had a voicemail message from my (former) Transport Manager earlier saying that a "standard 'Resign In Haste' letter is in the post, were I wanting to reconsider my decision and please could I give him a ring to discuss the matter".

The agency seem to have more work than drivers. Today I delivered balustrades to Bromley-by-Bow.
Otto Sump

Post by Paul H @ Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Ding dong!
Paul H

Post by Rod Rammage @ Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Otto Sump wrote: balustrades to Bromley-by-Bow.

How poetic!
Rod Rammage

Post by Otto Sump @ Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Paul H wrote:Ding dong!

I could tell by his voice he was on his knees.
Otto Sump

Previous

Return to The Legal Department