Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Business, employment and matters of the law.

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:50 pm

He's entitled to a refund, not just a replacement (which he reckons probably won't work either).
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24014
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Gone @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:53 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:58 pm

Pigeon wrote:He's entitled to a refund, not just a replacement (which he reckons probably won't work either).

If the replacement doesn't work, then his XBox is broke. That's not Game's problem.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16210
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Kermit @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Pigeon wrote:He's entitled to a refund, not just a replacement (which he reckons probably won't work either).


Isn't software treated differently to prevent people just taking it home, burning a copy then taking the original back for a refund?

What reason could there be for assuming that a replacement wouldn't work? It's not a PC which can have a one-off hardware/software configuration. It's an Xbox. It's the same as any other Xbox. Software either works on them all or it doesn't work on them all. That one disc may have been faulty, or PB's hardware may be faulty. There is no reason to assume that all copies of the game are faulty either way.
User avatar
Kermit
 
Posts: 7920
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Epsom
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Gone @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Broken Hero @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:07 pm

can you not take your xbox down to the shop and then show them that it doesnt work?
User avatar
Broken Hero
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 pm

~G~ wrote:It is reasonable to assume that that disc has an intermittent fault. Maybe some bad data or a scratch.

REFUND! :thumbup:

If it works in XBox 360 #1, and not in XBox 360 #2, then pretty much every IT person in the universe is going to arrive at the conclusion that XBox 360 #2 is borked, not the disc.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16210
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Kermit @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:09 pm

~G~ wrote:It is reasonable to assume that that disc has an intermittent fault. Maybe some bad data or a scratch.

REFUND! :thumbup:


It is reasonable to assume that chav customer (not PB of course, but how's the shop manager to know) copies the game, then scratches it to make out it doesn't work.

REPLACEMENT! :thumbup:
User avatar
Kermit
 
Posts: 7920
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Epsom
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Gone @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:12 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 pm

~G~ wrote:Tough shit.

The law of the land says refund.

Faulty equals refund.

It isn't the place of the shop manager to look for alternatives, faulty = refund. End of discussion. I would have a refund, there would be no discussion. Either the long way or the short way, a refund I would have.

All the "what if's" in the world won't change the fact that the disc is dodgy and faulty. If it wasn't - it would have WORKED.

There is an assumption in your position - that the disc is actually faulty. If it is, then everything you say is true.

If it isn't, then no amount of opining in the shop that "it doesn't work in MY XBox" will sway Graham; if he sees it working in the shop's XBox (which in PB's position, I would have wanted to see for myself) then no refund.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16210
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Jagdpanther @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Beer, bacon, fuel, cake and strippers!


Sorry, about the best advice I can offer right now :rofl:
User avatar
Jagdpanther
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:41 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Gone @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:17 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Gone
Founder of CTF
Founder of CTF
 
Posts: 25269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Location: The Seaside
Highscores: 7

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 pm

~G~ wrote:Not true.

Graham doesn't get to decide like that. It might well have worked in the shop XBOX but the customer has experienced faultiness in the product.

Faultiness that may re-emerge at any time.

Fault. Refund.

££ << I'll have that back please. Thank you. Bye.

Well, yes, he does. If Our Graham takes reasonable steps to demonstrate that the product is, in fact, fit for purpose (i.e. it loads up in an XBox 360), then it's tough titties. Harsh? Probably. Reality? Definitely.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16210
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Kermit @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 pm

~G~ wrote:Not true.

Graham doesn't get to decide like that. It might well have worked in the shop XBOX but the customer has experienced faultiness in the product.

Faultiness that may re-emerge at any time.

Fault. Refund.

££ << I'll have that back please. Thank you. Bye.


You cannot seriously believe that????

If you do, then what's to stop you popping down to your local Ferrari dealer, picking up a nice new Fezza, thrashing it for 26 days, then taking it back and saying "it had a fault and I want my money back"?
User avatar
Kermit
 
Posts: 7920
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Epsom
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Broken Hero @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:25 pm

:?
Ok so he saw the game, wanted to purchase it, purchased it, took it home and it didnt work? So he took it back and asked for a refund? Why didnt he accept a replacement?
Unless I am missing something I don't understand why he didnt take a replacement copy?
User avatar
Broken Hero
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Kermit @ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Broken Hero wrote::?
Ok so he saw the game, wanted to purchase it, purchased it, took it home and it didnt work? So he took it back and asked for a refund? Why didnt he accept a replacement?
Unless I am missing something I don't understand why he didnt take a replacement copy?


Seemingly because his Xbox is shagged.
User avatar
Kermit
 
Posts: 7920
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Epsom
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 am

i wouln't accept a replacement either. if i buy it and it dosent work i'll have a refund. if i decide i want it then i'll get it somewhere else (or if they offer a refund i might take a replacement but if they tell me i cant have a refund then i will damn well have one, i'm shopping elsewhere in future)
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4433
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Kermit @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:09 am

Aesgarth wrote:i wouln't accept a replacement either. if i buy it and it dosent work i'll have a refund. if i decide i want it then i'll get it somewhere else (or if they offer a refund i might take a replacement but if they tell me i cant have a refund then i will damn well have one, i'm shopping elsewhere in future)


Why should they provide a refund because PB's Xbox isn't working properly? It worked on the Xbox in the shop, and if this particular game didn't work on Xboxes in general, it would probably be quite widely known about!
User avatar
Kermit
 
Posts: 7920
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Epsom
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by LordGrover @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:41 am

Two points:
1. That is a terrible letter.
Your first salvo should be a brief account of your problem and the restorative actions offered by the shop. If that fails and they dispute your claim you have more ammunition for a second, third, fourth salvo. Never show all your cards in the first communication. Never get abusive. Just short, sharp, concise facts.
2. I can't find the high street store's T&Cs, but HMV.com clearly states:
HMV.com wrote:Exchanges

Please note that hmv.com no longer offer an exchange service for an alternate item. If you wish to exchange an item in your order, please send the item back to us for a refund - 'click here' for full details.

click.
User avatar
LordGrover
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Broken Hero @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 am

IMO if there is nothing wrong with the game, and your xbox is faulty, it would have to be a good will gesture from the store to give you a refund, they don't have to do it.
Especially if you cause a ruckus and need to be escorted off the premises :lol:
User avatar
Broken Hero
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Polarbert @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:30 pm

What I've said before is that they offer a replacement to anyone. He's not doing me any favours by doing that. HMV state that if a product does not work the customer is entitled to a refund.
User avatar
Polarbert
CTF Site Moderator
CTF Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Shottingham and San Diago.

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Polarbert wrote:What I've said before is that they offer a replacement to anyone. He's not doing me any favours by doing that. HMV state that if a product does not work the customer is entitled to a refund.

I think the onus is on you to demonstrate that the product does not work. Our Graham has (to some degree or other) shown that it does.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16210
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Routie445 @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:50 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Routie445
 
Posts: 39039
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Broken Hero @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm

thebluebus wrote:
CommanderJameson wrote:Our Graham

You are Cilla Black AICMFP.


:lol: :lol:

Didn't think I could find "claim my ££5" posts funny, but that was quite chuckleworthy.
User avatar
Broken Hero
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Routie445 @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Routie445
 
Posts: 39039
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 pm

CommanderJameson wrote:I think the onus is on you to demonstrate that the product does not work. Our Graham has (to some degree or other) shown that it does.

As i read it he's done no such thing. He's claimed (without providing any evidence) that it works, but hasn't demonstrated it in the slightest. He also told customer services or whoever it was that Polarbert phoned that it didnt work.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4433
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Aesgarth wrote:
CommanderJameson wrote:I think the onus is on you to demonstrate that the product does not work. Our Graham has (to some degree or other) shown that it does.

As i read it he's done no such thing. He's claimed (without providing any evidence) that it works, but hasn't demonstrated it in the slightest. He also told customer services or whoever it was that Polarbert phoned that it didnt work.

I said some time ago that PB should have had the faulty disc demonstrated to him. I certainly wouldn't have accepted "ah, but it works on OUR Xbox, that you're not allowed to see" as evidence that the product was fit for purpose.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16210
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Kermit @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Polarbert wrote:What I've said before is that they offer a replacement to anyone. He's not doing me any favours by doing that. HMV state that if a product does not work the customer is entitled to a refund.


Why didn't you ask to see it working on their machine? You've said it doesn't work. Manager has put it in their machine and said it does. You've not challenged him. He could hardly have refused to show you, could he? By not asking for that proof, you've tacitly accepted his claim that it does work.
User avatar
Kermit
 
Posts: 7920
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Epsom
Highscores: 1

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Polarbert @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:02 pm

LordGrover wrote:2. I can't find the high street store's T&Cs, but HMV.com clearly states:
HMV.com wrote:Exchanges

Please note that hmv.com no longer offer an exchange service for an alternate item. If you wish to exchange an item in your order, please send the item back to us for a refund - 'click here' for full details.

click.



Their website has no relation the shops. FYI.
User avatar
Polarbert
CTF Site Moderator
CTF Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Shottingham and San Diago.

Re: Fight the POWER! - Injustice for Polarbert.

Post by Polarbert @ Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Kermit Power wrote:
Polarbert wrote:What I've said before is that they offer a replacement to anyone. He's not doing me any favours by doing that. HMV state that if a product does not work the customer is entitled to a refund.


Why didn't you ask to see it working on their machine? You've said it doesn't work. Manager has put it in their machine and said it does. You've not challenged him. He could hardly have refused to show you, could he? By not asking for that proof, you've tacitly accepted his claim that it does work.


To be honest I couldn't give two shits whether it does or doesn't work in their machine. It didn't work in my machine so what use is it? Fair enough if it works in someone elses machine, but that doesn't help my situation.

I could accept that it would work in another console because there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the disc. It just didn't work in my console. All the other games I have work perfectly.
User avatar
Polarbert
CTF Site Moderator
CTF Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Shottingham and San Diago.

PreviousNext

Return to The Legal Department

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles