Performance reviews

Business, employment and matters of the law.

Performance reviews

Post by Gizmo @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Serious question. For once.

It's that time of year again. The time when you are invited to fill in a form giving your opinion on a colleague. Usually these involve some drivel and standards that are supposed to reflect the culture and values of the business, and how well that person has performed in those terms. Usually, also, they are anonymous, or at least potentially anonymous.

This year ours is much more open. In both ways. You can say whatever you like, and they're not anonymous. This poses me a problem, which I would like your opinions on.

There is someone in my office with whom I do not get on well. Everything from his management style, to his lack of personal hygiene, his accent, his overbearing manner, his faux-innocence when asked direct questions, his evasiveness, his lack of respect for personal space, his tendency to spot a cock-up coming and start shifting the blame rather than mucking in and trying to avoid it, even the way he walks gets on my wick at times. And his boss has asked me to fill in one of these review forms.

Now, as I see it, there are five options.
1. I fill the form in, say positive things.
2. I fill the form in, say "it's been a difficult year" and not say anything of substance.
3. I click 'decline' and hope it goes away.
4. I drop his boss an email saying something like "I think that given the stressful time we are going through at the moment I'm unable to give an objective opinion."
5. I fill it in and do an absolute character assassination.

1 - I can't do: can't think of anything positive to say. 2 - Why bother. 3 or 4? 5 - surely a bad idea in the long run.

What do you think?
Last edited by Gizmo on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmo

Re: Performance reviews

Post by Hooli @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 pm

oh a difficult one, as tempting as 5 is i suspect long term it wont be a great plan. talk to the boss & explain that you'd prefer to do someone else's?
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by QoFE @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
QoFE

Post by LotusNova @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Where's option 6?

Keep it factual and related to feedback regarding his skills/competancies for the position he is in.

No idea what coorporate culture exists there, but more often than not it's not only important to be good at your own tasks, but also how well you communicate with others you interact with. As long as it's factual (and not comitting political suicide) then be honest?
Last edited by LotusNova on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LotusNova

Post by Gizmo @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:30 pm

LotusNova wrote:Where's option 6?

Keep it factual and related to feedback regarding his skills/competance for the position he is in.

No idea what coorporate culture exists there, but more often than not it's not only important to be good at your own tasks, but also how well you communicate with others you interact with. As long as it's factual (and not comitting political suicide) then be honest?

The problem is that being factual is a complete character assassination.
Gizmo

Post by Kermit @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:33 pm

Gizmo wrote:
LotusNova wrote:Where's option 6?

Keep it factual and related to feedback regarding his skills/competance for the position he is in.

The problem is that being factual is a complete character assassination.

Surely character assassination by definition is false? If it's the truth, then it's the truth, and that's the end of it.
Kermit

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:35 pm

Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Kermit @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:38 pm

carrera2 wrote:I've not worked anywhere that uses these 360 review techniques but I know what I'd think of someone being overly critical of a colleague...

How do you define "overly" though?

If everything is 100% truthful, could that ever be considered overly critical?
Kermit

Highscores: 1

Post by Gizmo @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:49 pm

carrera2 wrote:I've not worked anywhere that uses these 360 review techniques but I know what I'd think of someone being overly critical of a colleague...

Can you not do it in a subtle round the houses way, if they 'get it' then great if not then no loss?

Exactly. If I slaughter him... doesn't look good.
There aren't subtle many ways to say "I hate this person. I didn't believe anyone could be so simultaneously awful at their job and yet not in any way humorous. For the good of the company he should be eviscerated and left dangling from a gibbet as a warning to others."
Gizmo

Post by LotusNova @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Kermit wrote:

How do you define "overly" though?

If everything is 100% truthful, could that ever be considered overly critical?

We do use a 360 system. Facts cannot be argued with. Opinions can. The challenge is separating the two. If you can do that, then the cause of being 'overly critical' goes away.
LotusNova

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Tokyo Sexwale

Post by OEJ @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Say that it's difficult to be objective as a result of his stated sexual desires for you.

That will sound as if you care for his feelings (which gives you a 'tick' of approval in any boss' eyes) and the rumours will spread around the office very quickly until your colleague finds it unbearable and has to leave.

Sorted.
OEJ

Post by Gizmo @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:06 pm

one-eyed Jack wrote:Say that it's difficult to be objective as a result of his stated sexual desires for you.

That will sound as if you care for his feelings (which gives you a 'tick' of approval in any boss' eyes) and the rumours will spread around the office very quickly until your colleague finds it unbearable and has to leave.

Sorted.

Hahaha. He put some indecipherable poster-paint splodge on his desk partition this morning. I commented that if he was that desperate to remind people he has (adopted) kids, perhaps he's trying to hide something...
Gizmo

Post by Globs @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Gizmo wrote:

Can you not do it in a subtle round the houses way, if they 'get it' then great if not then no loss?

Exactly. If I slaughter him... doesn't look good.
There aren't subtle many ways to say "I hate this person. I didn't believe anyone could be so simultaneously awful at their job and yet not in any way humorous. For the good of the company he should be eviscerated and left dangling from a gibbet as a warning to others."

This is one of the BIG reasons I prefer free-lancing over being permanent staff.

IME however these things always work out that if you complain you are a trouble maker, and if someone complains about you it's your fault. Never ever complain about your boss, his boss will just see you as disloyal. Ask for a move into an area that he doesn't manage - that's pretty much your only option.

How you get on at work is largely a matter of luck and part of that luck is what boss you have. The other part is if the work you do is actually interesting. Having both makes a huge difference to getting out of bed in the morning and a huge hidden bonus for you because you will also be getting on well in the company.
Globs

Post by Gizmo @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 pm

He's not "my" manager, he is "a" manager with whom I have dealings.
Gizmo

Post by swp @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Option 3.

And if they question it you can always say that you don't have time to fill it in. If you have too much work to be able to use up your leave you certainly have too much work to be fannying about with HR rubbish. Sorted.
swp

Post by OEJ @ Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Personally I don't know why you don't arrange to have him shot.

Wasn't Gylen looking for something in that line of work?
OEJ

Return to The Legal Department