What are you reading?

Literature and creative ramblings.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:01 am

DI Burnside wrote:Why can't I buy books on the Amazon app on my phone and have them sent to my kindle ? It's really really really really really really really really annoying.

The Amazon app is a pile of poo. It allows you to browse but not buy Kindle books which seems to render it useless. Just use the browser on your phone to look at Amazon's website.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by NNK @ Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:15 am

After finishing the last of my Kindle cache I thought I would buy Skagboys (prequel to Trainspotting), I had it in hard copy but cant find it now so .....

I cant remember what the next recommendation was but I bought it, because of that it recommended 'My life as a Chelsea Headhunter' by Jason Marriner (who I used to know). Its not a book for the intelligent man (hence I'm reading it) but I cant put it down.
Its probably because I can hear every written word in his voice and can picture his mannerisms.
I always felt sorry for him, getting stitched up as he did, but I gather he is doing quite well now as an after dinner speaker, movie star, etc.
NNK

Post by Hooli @ Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:29 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I don't want to read them on my phone \ iPad, just when I want to buy one I don't want to have to turn a pc on and use a browser. Will the kindle app let me do that without downloading books to my ithings ?

What's stopping you using the browser on your phone? It's how I do it.

That sounds easier then. I do read on my phone at times so the Kindle app made sense to me.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 am

I'm genuinely really surprised you can't buy books using the app, seems really stupid of them.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by deev @ Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 pm

On holiday I read the spy who came in from the cold, which was great as everyone probably already knows. "The secret footballer" which was rubbish and the Tyler Hamilton book about the drug taking on the tour which was great, I need to read david millars book next.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I'm genuinely really surprised you can't buy books using the app, seems really stupid of them.

iPhone? Cuz the Android app lets you buy Kindle books.

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:The Amazon app is a pile of poo. It allows you to browse but not buy Kindle books which seems to render it useless. Just use the browser on your phone to look at Amazon's website.

And when I say "Android app" I mean both the Kindle and Amazon apps - both let you buy Kindle books.
Last edited by CJ+ on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by span @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:Am listening to the audiobook of How Not to be a Boy by Robert Webb, (of Mitchell and Webb fame) which is wonderful. Funny, sad, embarrassing and insightful. It's a memoir of his early years and observation on how men are discouraged to develop emotions or at least struggle to understand them as being a boy growing up suppresses them.

Dr C it's my new credit day with Audible and I'm excitedly waiting for it to land, so I can download this.

I heard an excerpt on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago and quite liked it, and your review convinced me.
span

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I'm genuinely really surprised you can't buy books using the app, seems really stupid of them.

It's Apple's fault IIRC, because they want you to buy iBooks, so don't allow seamless kindle integration.

I use the broswer like Tokes.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I've just finished The Miniaturist, the 2014 debut novel of Jessie Burton. It's a bestseller and was quite a sensation when it was published.

I didn't think it lived up to the hype. There was a good idea there but she didn't make the best of it and I found that characters sort of appeared and disappeared without warning and their motives were never properly explained. Rather a disappointing read overall.
spast1kunt

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:38 pm

I've started rereading 'Rage' by Wilbur Smith, he really is a great writer.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by stuart @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am

The amazon app is terrible for music too.

I buy music via the app but when you download it, you can't say to put in my music folder. It also gives the downloaded file a weird unrecognisable name and my other music player can't detect the file even when it's manually copied into my music folder.

So I have to download the music file on my PC and then copy it to my phone after buying from the app.

Stupid.

I'm still loving American Gods but it's a huge book.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Previous

Return to Book Chat