Literature and creative ramblings.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I've got quite a high capacity for brain-out fluff, yes. I can't read 'proper' things when I'm travelling or whatever, so Reacher books make for a good literary equivalent of an action film I can safely read whilst dozing without missing vital prose if my eyes slide over a page or two.

Plus it's relatively entertaining fluff at that.

My guess is that Deuts and I empathise more with a statuesque injustice-righting vigilante that always gets the girl than an Italian ever could?

>mic drop<

You empathise with him because he's a crashing bore.

I can imagine being stuck with him in the pub while he shared his detailed knowledge of bullet velocities and wishing one would hit me in the head.

Don't worry, as a character Reacher is very solitary and doesn't like talking, so along with the rest of the pub he's unlikely to want to have a conversation with you.

Rubbish!
Couple of pints and some pork scratchings and you wouldn't be able to shut him up.
And then he'd start crying when he remembered he was bald and married to a German in a loveless, sexless marriage.
And he'd come back from the gents with piss over one leg and suede shoe.

Like Dis in about 4 years time in fact.
Or you now, apart from the German and the pork scratchings.

See, what you've done there is the internet equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?"

I've never heard anyone use that phrase until now.
I'm still having difficulty understanding it.
I understand the words obv, but it seems you've thrown them together randomly like the a Heston with alzheimers recipe.

It sounds like you may have an UTI. Maybe get a urine dip - it's quite normal at your age.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:18 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I've got quite a high capacity for brain-out fluff, yes. I can't read 'proper' things when I'm travelling or whatever, so Reacher books make for a good literary equivalent of an action film I can safely read whilst dozing without missing vital prose if my eyes slide over a page or two.

Plus it's relatively entertaining fluff at that.

My guess is that Deuts and I empathise more with a statuesque injustice-righting vigilante that always gets the girl than an Italian ever could?

>mic drop<

You empathise with him because he's a crashing bore.

I can imagine being stuck with him in the pub while he shared his detailed knowledge of bullet velocities and wishing one would hit me in the head.

Don't worry, as a character Reacher is very solitary and doesn't like talking, so along with the rest of the pub he's unlikely to want to have a conversation with you.

Rubbish!
Couple of pints and some pork scratchings and you wouldn't be able to shut him up.
And then he'd start crying when he remembered he was bald and married to a German in a loveless, sexless marriage.
And he'd come back from the gents with piss over one leg and suede shoe.

Like Dis in about 4 years time in fact.
Or you now, apart from the German and the pork scratchings.

See, what you've done there is the internet equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?"

I've never heard anyone use that phrase until now.
I'm still having difficulty understanding it.
I understand the words obv, but it seems you've thrown them together randomly like the a Heston with alzheimers recipe.

It sounds like you may have an UTI. Maybe get a urine dip - it's quite normal at your age.

Frankly that is not the way and this is not the place to tell me you've given me a dose.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 am

What I've read recently.

Dark Tower Book 2 - The Drawing of the Three. I really liked this, I thought the first book was a bit meh and was clearly just setting up the series but Book 2 was brilliant and I'm really enjoying Book 3 as well (currently about 1/3 way through).

The Girl on the Train - Loved this and now looking forward to the film.

The Bad Place - Dean Koontz - This is quite a fun, Stephen King lite, horror / thriller about a man who keeps waking up each day with amnesia but often carrying strange items, insects that shouldn't exist here, rare diamonds etc who is being hunted by another man. He hires a private detective husband and wife firm to help him figure out what's going on. Silly but enjoyable. It's a reasonably fast paced book too so you can probably knock it out in a few days. A few highlights include teleportation, a man who drinks blood, lesbian incestuous twins, a beetle that shits rare red diamonds, a psychic down.

Whenever I read a Dean Koontz book I just end up thinking I liked it, but Stephen King has probably already did that story and did it better.

And what is it with giving retarded kids super powers?
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:03 am

Waiting for Sunrise - William Boyd: This was excellent. Really atmospheric espionage thriller set around Vienna shortly before the start of WW1. I enjoyed it very much and it sort of reminded me a bit of Le Carre but without the snail's pace exposition and dullness that characterises his work. Also a touch of the Third Man about it (but that may be just the setting)...recommended.

The Bridge - Michael Connelly: It's another Harry Bosch novel. It's fine. I quite enjoy them as light holiday reading and this is just more of the same really. Also crosses over with the Lincoln Lawyer and weirdly self-references the film at one point.

Before I Go to Sleep - some author: This is absolute dogshit. I grabbed out of a book dump in a hotel as it was the only one in English and still somehow feel like I want compensation. It's an amnesia 'em up about a woman who has an accident and basically forgets everything about everything when she goes to sleep and has to start again each day. Like Memento but shit. It's apparently now a film with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman but I've not heard of it and plan to keep it that way. It was a so-so book up until the dramatic finale which hinges on a couple of key procedural details to work. Sadly these are so implausible as to completely undermine any momentum the book had built up and I hated it.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • It's pretty un-fcuking-likely that a secure mental hospital would allow a seriously incapacitated woman to go home with someone claiming to be her husband who isn't actually the bloke who she was married to when she was first sectioned, just because he said so. It's also pretty unlikely that all her friends, and her own actual son, and actual real husband would just say "oh, ok" when imposter husband writes to them all saying she doesn't want to see them any more. I've spoilered this but it shouldn't matter as you shouldn't read it. I'm angry at it.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

stuart wrote:The Girl on the Train - Loved this and now looking forward to the film.

My wife bought me this at the weekend, will read soon
Deuteronomy

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 am

stuart wrote:The Bad Place - Dean Koontz - This is quite a fun, Stephen King lite, horror / thriller about a man who keeps waking up each day with amnesia but often carrying strange items, insects that shouldn't exist here, rare diamonds etc who is being hunted by another man. He hires a private detective husband and wife firm to help him figure out what's going on. Silly but enjoyable. It's a reasonably fast paced book too so you can probably knock it out in a few days. A few highlights include teleportation, a man who drinks blood, lesbian incestuous twins, a beetle that shits rare red diamonds, a psychic down.

I used to love Koontz but kind of grew out of him, this actually sounds quite good though and as it's only £3 on Kindle I've gone and bought it. I can't read anything that requires too much thinking nowadays unfortunately >taps head< so this sounds on my level.

I've just started the first in the Steel and Stone series. I seem to have fallen into the habit of buying a series whenever Amazon offer them up at 99p a time, I've just finished the Tom Gray series (poor man's Andy McNab) and before that the Divergent trilogy (dystopian sci-fi),
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:52 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
stuart wrote:The Bad Place - Dean Koontz - This is quite a fun, Stephen King lite, horror / thriller about a man who keeps waking up each day with amnesia but often carrying strange items, insects that shouldn't exist here, rare diamonds etc who is being hunted by another man. He hires a private detective husband and wife firm to help him figure out what's going on. Silly but enjoyable. It's a reasonably fast paced book too so you can probably knock it out in a few days. A few highlights include teleportation, a man who drinks blood, lesbian incestuous twins, a beetle that shits rare red diamonds, a psychic down.

I used to love Koontz but kind of grew out of him, this actually sounds quite good though and as it's only £3 on Kindle I've gone and bought it. I can't read anything that requires too much thinking nowadays unfortunately >taps head< so this sounds on my level.

I've just started the first in the Steel and Stone series. I seem to have fallen into the habit of buying a series whenever Amazon offer them up at 99p a time, I've just finished the Tom Gray series (poor man's Andy McNab) and before that the Divergent trilogy (dystopian sci-fi),

Koontz has completely gone off the rails in recent years. I read stuff like Watchers back in the mid-80s and thought they were ace.

And then I picked up Breathless a couple of years ago. It goes like this:

plot plot plot aren't dogs brilliant plot plot scary house in the middle of nowhere plot plot plot horrid shadowy government people plot plot plot massive creationist anti-science tirade.

Edit: also, check out his hair!

Last edited by CJ+ on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Dis, the film is dogshit too. I watched it having pretty much forgotten that I'd read the book (ha!) as it had been so tedious.

I've just finished reading Orphan X by Greg Hurwitz. It's one of those uber-assassin boys' adventure type books which was fun but not as good as I Am Pilgrim which I think it's aiming for.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I've read a couple of corkers lately.

Books no one will read but were brilliant even though I broke my own rule of not reading books written by women:

The Poisonwood Bible
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poisonwood-Bib ... wood+bible
A book about a lunatic preacher who drags his family into the depths of the Congo in the 50's.
Because of that description it sat on my book case for 10 years before I forced myself to start it. Absolutely loved it 9/10

A little Life
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Life-Hanya-Yanagihara/dp/0385539258
Never read anything like this before. A massive book chronicling the lives of 4 friends through university and into adulthood and careers. All slightly to extremely dysfunctional. I can't really say what it is about because it isn't really about anything, just a meandering story of their lives. A little heavy on the gay-sex and child abuse for my liking, but a brilliant, unputdownable book 9/10

Also, a cheap and easy one I particularly liked:
Orphan X - Greg Hurwitz
Basically another Jack Reacher/ Jason Bourne but maybe a bit better. Equally outrageous but plays even more to your man-side.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I've just finished reading Orphan X by Greg Hurwitz. It's one of those uber-assassin boys' adventure type books which was fun but not as good as I Am Pilgrim which I think it's aiming for.

Ha! I was just typing as you wrote that.
Turntable

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:12 pm

I am reading The Guilty, by David Baldacci, "a Will Robie book" about a highly skilled government assassin etc etc I am pilgrim etc Jason Bourne etc.

FFS.

Although it is quite good. It's the sort of book they make into a forgettable action film that everyone complains about the casting of.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Turntable wrote:A little Life

I've had this strongly recommended to me, but is it quite depressing? That puts me off. But I do want to read better books.

I bought 'The Girls' for a holiday over the summer because I heard everyone was talking about it and I wanted to being talking about it too, and I really enjoyed it! But on my return I realised I'd accidentally got the wrong one! My one was this chick lit thing (I thought I was enjoying it a bit much) - thank God I realised before I started Going On about it in better-read company.

I'm part way through Spool Of Blue Thread by one of my favourites, Anne Tyler. So far I love it. I can't read her books back to back because they're too similar - usually family sagas over a few decades, all about the characters and dynamics, usually a black sheep - but I think she's a brilliant writer.
Last edited by span on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
span

Post by Strawman @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:It's the sort of book they make into a forgettable action film that everyone complains about the casting of.

Tom cruise has optioned it already?
Strawman

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm

span wrote:I've had this strongly recommended to me, but is it quite depressing? That puts me off. But I do want to read better books.

A little depressing but uplifting and moving in the same breath. Sentimental is probably the best word to describe it.
You've had it strongly recommended to you twice now. You cannot not.
Turntable

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Nomad.

Not bad, not bad at all. Not nearly as good as the first though.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Hooli @ Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Working my way through Sir Terry Pratchett's books again.
Last edited by Hooli on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Nomad.

Who by?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Disastrous wrote:

Who by?

It's the new Alan Patridge one.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

Who by?

It's the new Alan Patridge one.

Ah, of course! I need to get into that...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 am

Am listening to Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari. Brilliant book if a little weird and scary in its predictions about the future
Doctor Congo

Post by Hooli @ Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Started 'Death of the Scharnhorst' last night, I forget the author. Very detailed so far & all the more interesting for that.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:26 am

I'm currently re-reading Huxley's Brave New World, amazing it was originally written in 1931.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by spast1kunt @ Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 am

I'm reading Ken Follett's Century Trilogy.

I'm about halfway through the second book at the moment and I've made it as far as 1940. They're massive doorstops of books (912 pages in this one) but well written and interesting enough that it doesn't put me off.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/87392-the-century-trilogy
spast1kunt

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:06 am

I'll finish Huxley on the flight to Krabi tomorrow afternoon and plan to have this finished by the time I land back in Singapore on Sunday afternoon.
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm

CJ+ wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:

Koontz has completely gone off the rails in recent years. I read stuff like Watchers back in the mid-80s and thought they were ace.

And then I picked up Breathless a couple of years ago. It goes like this:

plot plot plot aren't dogs brilliant plot plot scary house in the middle of nowhere plot plot plot horrid shadowy government people plot plot plot massive creationist anti-science tirade.

Edit: also, check out his hair!

The Bad Place was ok, verging on meh.

I've just finished the first Odd Thomas book and started the second. Very enjoyable.
DI Burnside

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Currently on book 1 of the Wool trilogy.

fcuk me it's dark.
CJ+

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:46 pm

CJ+ wrote:Currently on book 1 of the Wool trilogy.

fcuk me it's dark.

Instead of mocking you for reading babies spaceship stories as was my gut response I followed your link and thought it looked pretty interesting so I bought it.
A few chapters in and it is utterly compelling and immensely clever. Good recommendation (even though you didn't recommend you merely said "fcuk me its dark")
I was very nearly put off by the review on the front that mentioned 'Hunger games' which definitely IS a babies book but other reviews correctly suggested it is something pretty unique
Last edited by Turntable on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

I put it straight on my wish list so I didn't forget about it. This means I will now forget about it immediately, and then be surprised when I get given it by my s-i-l next Christmas.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 am

Turntable wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Currently on book 1 of the Wool trilogy.

fcuk me it's dark.

Instead of mocking you for reading babies spaceship stories as was my gut response I followed your link and thought it looked pretty interesting so I bought it.
A few chapters in and it is utterly compelling and immensely clever. Good recommendation (even though you didn't recommend you merely said "fcuk me its dark")
I was very nearly put off by the review on the front that mentioned 'Hunger games' which definitely IS a babies book but other reviews correctly suggested it is something pretty unique

Glad to be of service.
CJ+

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am

Although I enjoy reading, I haven't read anything for a long, long time as I simply don't have the concentration any more. That said, I was given the Damon Hill Autobiography Watching The Wheels for Christmas, so made an effort while I couldn't sleep on Sunday night to at least start reading it. Well I finished it in a couple of days and found it very enjoyable - certainly put a different perspective on a lot of events going on in F1 during his time and it was interesting to read about his own personal struggles behind the scenes.

Anyway, I'd recommend it if you're into that sort of thing.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

PreviousNext

Return to Book Chat