Re: What are you reading?

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 pm

My daughter got the the Ladybird book “The Dad” for Xmas. A couple of excerpts:

DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:23 am

Laugh.

I'm re-reading Dune, forgotten how good it is.
Deuteronomy

Post by S1K @ Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

I got Wings On My Sleeve for Christmas, Eric "Winkle" Brown's autobiography. It's a great read if you're at all interested in planes. He flew pretty much every aeroplane built between 1930 and 1970, jet airliners excepted, including helicopters too. His fluency in German meant he was on the ground in immediate post-war Germany going round scooping up scientists and aircraft and he had over 2000 carrier landings to his name. A remarkable man.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm

Currently re-reading some of the John Connolly Charlie Parker books. I love them.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by S1K @ Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Just finished All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and can't recommend it enough.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18143977-all-the-light-we-cannot-see

It's set during the Second World War and follows the stories of a blind French girl evacuated from Paris with her father and an orphaned German boy with a natural talent for working on and building radios. A beautifully written book.
S1K

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Top book
Käsemeister

Post by wi11iam @ Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 pm

How to build a car by Adrian Newey.

More memoirs than autobiography and car centric with enough detail to be interesting but not dull. Although you do have to like F1 for that to count.

Very readable and leaving me wanting to know more about him and his wider views but maybe his focus on just the cars is what makes him so good at designing them, the book interesting and missing that bit.
wi11iam

Post by stuart @ Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 am

Finished a girl is a half formed thing, and it's absolutely amazing but incredibly bleak. Easily the most depressing book I've ever read.

Now reading Three by Sarah Lotz.

It's about 4 planes crashes that happen in different parts of the world at the same time and the only survivors are 3 children and a woman who before she dies records a vague message warning about them. Enjoying it so far about 1/4 way through, it's all told via fictional excerpts, e.g. skype conversations, radio show transcripts etc.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by stuart @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 am

Finished Three.

It ends up being about the children surviving the plane crashes and the conspiracies that end up being created, everything from aliens to end of times rapture and the chidlren are the horsemen of the apocalypse. This leads upto a religious fanatic getting into the white house and parts about the safety of the children.

It plays back and forth and you don't know if there really isa supernatural element, is it aliens or was it all just a conspiracy and everything that is happening is some mass paranoia and psychosis driven by crazy people on the internet.

Then the last couple of pages all is sort of revealed and it leads into the next book.... Because of course it does...

Now I'm reading Fahrenheit 451, about 3/4 of the way and I absolutely love it
stuart

Post by Revol @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:36 pm

wi11iam wrote:How to build a car by Adrian Newey.

Just about 3/4 way through, very good insight into car design and how the teams are run. Definitely have to have an interest in F1 though.
Revol

Post by stuart @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Fahrenheit 451 is fantastic.

About a dystoopian future where a Firemans job now is to go to people houses and burn books. Books are banned, people that think are seen as queer and strange and the world is on a constant brink of war.

Then one fireman meets a young girl Clarrisa who changes his life, makes him realise that despite supposedly having everything to give him happiness, he's not just, and she does it by asking him simple questions. He goes onto steal a few books from a house he burns and ends up on the run from a metal dog that is designed to hunt and kill people.

It's wonderful.

For a book written in the 1950s it's amazing how relevant it still feels today

“If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it be all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag. Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of noncombustible data, chock them so damned full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change.”

I loved the images of his wife, in her house, where 3 of her 4 walls in the living area are TVs but she can't tell what was actually on, it's all placating noises and images but no mental stimulus at all. This empty thing that tries to kill herself with pills and then doesn't even remember that, that has no idea if she's happy or not and can't even contemplate the question. Her ignorance is her bliss.

They have billboards that are 200 hundred feet long, because everyone has to drive at 100mph all the time now, and they were whizzing past the billboards too quickly to read them.

“Have you ever watched the jet cars race on the boulevard?...I sometimes think drivers don’t know what grass is, or flowers, because they never see them slowly...If you showed a driver a green blur, Oh yes! He'd say, that’s grass! A pink blur! That’s a rose garden! White blurs are houses. Brown blurs are cows.”

Its message that the constant wars that they experience in the novel are because they forget what we asses they are.

Some day the load we're carrying with us may help someone. But even when we had the books on hand, a long time ago, we didn't use what we got out of them. We went right on insulting the dead. We went right on spitting in the graves of all the poor ones who died before us. We're going to meet a lot of lonely people in the next week and the next month and the next year. And when they ask us what we're doing, you can say, 'We're remembering'. That's where we'll win out in the long run. And some day we'll remember so much that we'll build the biggest goddamn steam-shovel in history and dig the biggest grave of all time and shove war in and cover it up. Come on now, we're going to go build a mirror-factory first and put out nothing but mirrors for the next year and take a long look in them.

I adored this book.

Next, Notes from the Underground.
Last edited by stuart on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by minimoog @ Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:04 pm

stuart wrote:Fahrenheit 451 is fantastic.

That's because Bradbury is fantastic.
minimoog

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Dibs, I’m listening to This is Going to Hurt, on audiobook. It’s brilliant, and alarmingly close to my experience
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:Dibs, I’m listening to This is Going to Hurt, on audiobook. It’s brilliant, and alarmingly close to my experience

It’s my Book of the Year 2017, by a long way !
DI Burnside

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:Dibs, I’m listening to This is Going to Hurt, on audiobook. It’s brilliant, and alarmingly close to my experience

It’s my Book of the Year 2017, by a long way !

It’s brilliant. Well written and painful both because it’s funny but also reflects the reality of a terrible job that people just cannot comprehend. I am laughing and also getting flashbacks of my junior doctor days.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 am

Just finished Real Tigers, the third in the Jackson Lamb series, and I think it's the best one so far. I've just bought the 4th one (Spook Street) but that's waiting for me to finish Police, Lies and Alibis: The True Story of a Front Line Officer by John Donoghue.
DI Burnside

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 am

DI Burnside wrote:Just finished Real Tigers, the third in the Jackson Lamb series, and I think it's the best one so far. I've just bought the 4th one (Spook Street) but that's waiting for me to finish Police, Lies and Alibis: The True Story of a Front Line Officer by John Donoghue.

All the Slough House series are great, can't wait for the next.

I'm reading Fire and Fury, it's exactly what you'd expect, which is good.

I'll move onto This is going to Hurt as I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 am

Finished that book Dibs (This is going to hurt). Excellent book that should be required reading for the public. It’s hilarious and painfully tragic at the same time. It also is perhaps the most accurate portrayal of the life of a junior doctor that I’ve seen or read. The disruption to a normal life that most people can’t comprehend. It goes some way to explain the issues regarding the JD contract problems and why Hunt is a fcuking cnut.
Doctor Congo

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Just finished Real Tigers, the third in the Jackson Lamb series, and I think it's the best one so far. I've just bought the 4th one (Spook Street) but that's waiting for me to finish Police, Lies and Alibis: The True Story of a Front Line Officer by John Donoghue.

I take it I was the only person who got bored of them? I read the first three and couldn't be arsed to read the last one.
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am

Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

I take it I was the only person who got bored of them? I read the first three and couldn't be arsed to read the last one.

Gasp!

Yes, yes you are! Now leave!
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Just finished Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman. Wonderful book which is totally not the kind of book I read. It’s about a very eccentric but lonely young woman with a very dark past. It follows her as her life changes and is funny and touching. I genuinely felt emotional at points in the book as the character is so well written you can’t help but have massive pity for her situation.
Doctor Congo

Post by Freddie @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Finally been persuaded to embrace Cyberpunk Sci-Fi.About to finish working on a project, then it is the Necromancer series. William Gibson here I come.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Freddie wrote:Finally been persuaded to embrace Cyberpunk Sci-Fi.About to finish working on a project, then it is the Necromancer series. William Gibson here I come.

I utterly loved the Neuromancer books when I was younger. The short stories collection, Burning Chrome, is worth reading in conjunction with the Neuromancer series as some of the stories have characters from the trilogy and/or they touch on those novels.

The Blue Ant trilogy is good too.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Freddie @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Freddie wrote:Finally been persuaded to embrace Cyberpunk Sci-Fi.About to finish working on a project, then it is the Necromancer series. William Gibson here I come.

I utterly loved the Neuromancer books when I was younger. The short stories collection, Burning Chrome, is worth reading in conjunction with the Neuromancer series as some of the stories have characters from the trilogy and/or they touch on those novels.

The Blue Ant trilogy is good too.

Thanks, CIS. I am of the mind that it is impossible to have too many books.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 am

Revol wrote:
wi11iam wrote:How to build a car by Adrian Newey.

Just about 3/4 way through, very good insight into car design and how the teams are run. Definitely have to have an interest in F1 though.

I've just finished that too. A good insight into making the most of circumstances, opportunities and decision making.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Strawman @ Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:54 am

Sean Penn has written a book, and someone has published it, I'm not going to read it, but read this review of it

Lord save us from the minimal ass-piss of Sean Penn’s literary genius.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... c9e5fa89a2
Strawman

Post by stuart @ Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:06 am

Recently finished Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy which was brilliant.

Also Hellbound Heart is a great novella by Clive Barker, it's the book that became the first Hellraiser film.

Now reading Extinction Point.
stuart

Post by Freddie @ Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Strawman wrote:Sean Penn has written a book, and someone has published it, I'm not going to read it, but read this review of it

Fvcking hell, just reading the few excerpts makes me realise that Penn is an even bigger arsehole than I thought him to be. Anyone can be a crap actor, see N Cage, but Penn's ego must be off the scale.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:21 pm

Freddie wrote:
Strawman wrote:Sean Penn has written a book, and someone has published it, I'm not going to read it, but read this review of it

Fvcking hell, just reading the few excerpts makes me realise that Penn is an even bigger arsehole than I thought him to be. Anyone can be a crap actor, see N Cage, but Penn's ego must be off the scale.

That’s given me an idea for the would you rather thread. Back in a jiffy.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Baby Huey @ Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:16 pm

New book coming soon from Viv Albertine, the last one was brilliant.
Baby Huey

Previous

Return to Book Chat