some food

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: some food

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Rod Rammage wrote:I'd kill for a battered sausage butty right now. Butter and ketchup.



I had a leftover battered sausage for breakfast, as it happens.



I can't stop thinking about eating one now.
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: some food

Post by Disastrous @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Rod Rammage wrote:I'd kill for a battered sausage butty right now. Butter and ketchup.



I had a leftover battered sausage for breakfast, as it happens.



I can't stop thinking about eating one now.



I couldn't even look at one. Stuffed right full after it, I was.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 37937
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: some food

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm going out of my mind. I don't even know where to get one in this locale.
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: some food

Post by Freddie @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:I'm going out of my mind. I don't even know where to get one in this locale.


Be strong, live strong and think of your battered sausage.
User avatar
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen
 
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Area 51

Re: some food

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Freddie wrote:
Rod Rammage wrote:I'm going out of my mind. I don't even know where to get one in this locale.


Be strong, live strong and think of your battered sausage.


Got one!

Nom nom nom!
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: some food

Post by Freddie @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:
Freddie wrote:
Rod Rammage wrote:I'm going out of my mind. I don't even know where to get one in this locale.


Be strong, live strong and think of your battered sausage.


Got one!

Nom nom nom!


A battered sausage or a buttered sausage?
User avatar
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen
 
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Area 51

Re: some food

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm

I feel sleepy now.
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: some food

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:I feel sleepy now.


Stressed?
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 14900
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: some food

Post by Rod Rammage @ Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am

Rod Rammage wrote:Can you help me with my PIE?

I would like to make a meat and potato PIE.

I don't want to make a cheaty stew-with-a-lid pie, I want to make a property fully-encased-in-pastry pie.

I want shortcrust pastry, chunks of slow-cooked beef, chunks of potato, in a thick sauce.

Any tips?

How do I keep my bottom dry?


Did this at the weekend.

Total disaster.

I didn't have enough pastry so had to make a patchwork lid.

The filling was dry.

I had to order a pizza for Rod Jr.

:(
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: some food

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:54 pm

This man from Hull likes Fray Bentos pies so much that he nails the tin lids to his fence when he's eaten one.

Image

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/hull-man-fray-bentos-fetish-173746
User avatar
spast1kunt
 
Posts: 4016
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: some food

Post by Hooli @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Hull, enough said.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19236
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: N/A

Re: some food

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Fish cooked in batter containing 'activated charcoal'

Image

Apparently charcoal helps with cleansing, purifying and detoxing, but it just looks like a dog egg on a plate

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/r ... c826599a7b
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 37035
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: some food

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Suggestions for something decent and very English/British/European folr serving to some yanks:

Has to be capable of being prepared 2 days in advance and only 30minutes or so prep on the day (immediately before serving)

Not seafood, because I have a starter in mind that is seafood

Suggestions?
Last edited by Dirk on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 28657
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Shepherd's or Cottage pie. Neither are particularly summery and they're heavy in this weather but you could prepare in advance and finish in the oven.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 32898
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by Monty @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Lancashire hot pot or Irish stew leap to mind. You'd only need some extra veg on the day which'd be the 30 minutes.

Cook in advance, freeze and reheat...it often tastes better. It'd probably last in the fridge for 2 days if you don't want to freeze it in fact?
User avatar
Monty
 
Posts: 5936
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Re: some food

Post by moleamol @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Dirk wrote:Suggestions for something decent and very English/British/European folr serving to some yanks:

Has to be capable of being prepared 2 days in advance and only 30minutes or so prep on the day (immediately before serving)

Not seafood, because I have a starter in mind that is seafood

Suggestions?

A good Shepherds or Cottage pie. Some great recipes out there. Takes a while to do a good one but on the day just whack it in the oven, frozen veg is surprisingly good too so you could just use that to save prep. time.

ETA: fcuk you teeks with your good ideas!
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 10776
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: some food

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Beef Wellington? Even the name conjures up images of piles of dead Frenchmen topped with a union flag.
Last edited by ttwiggy on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: some food

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:37 pm

User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 32898
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Apparently mince on toast is a quintessentially British dish, according to the food page of some merkin website this week. So you could wow them with that.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 8644
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: some food

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Do the shepherd's pie. Teeks's recipe is pretty solid.

Like his face!!!.

Tonight, I did lemon and black pepper herbed belly pork slices, roasted in the oven till the fat was all crispy on the outside and all melty on the inside. Served it up with some mezzelune, in a tomato sauce with boatloads of garlic and fresh rosemary and lemon thyme (grown by me, fact hunts).

About as healthy as being friends with DDD, but considerably more delicious.

:bloated:

Aside: I have come to deeply like the herb mill on my food processor.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 14933
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. All a shepherd's pie, cottage pie, stew etc are all a bit wintery for July though. And Beef Wellington won't work with the timings (also harder because gluten free pastry is a right pain)
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 28657
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:27 am

Bangers and mash with a decent onion gravy?

The trouble is most traditional British food is a bit crap and very autumnal.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48090
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: some food

Post by minimoog @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:07 am

Tell them to visit later in the year.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 8644
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: some food

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 am

Fish and chips
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 37035
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: some food

Post by NNK @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 am

I know Jamies Italian isn't the pinnacle of Italian cooking in England but I have to say we had a lovely meal there yesterday.
My son said the octopus ravioli was the best meal he'd ever had.

Took my 86 year old mother for her first Indian meal too, under protest from her. She doesn't think she would go again.
NNK
 
Posts: 7839
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: NZ

Re: some food

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
The trouble is most traditional British food is a bit crap and very autumnal.

It is an issue, which is why i did give the get out of European
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 28657
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by moleamol @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 am

Dirk wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. All a shepherd's pie, cottage pie, stew etc are all a bit wintery for July though. And Beef Wellington won't work with the timings (also harder because gluten free pastry is a right pain)

Give them a fcuking beetroot salad then you ungrateful shit!
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 10776
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: some food

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:02 am

Dirk wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
The trouble is most traditional British food is a bit crap and very autumnal.

It is an issue, which is why i did give the get out of European

It's the "prepare 2 days in advance and finish 30 minutes before eating" that's the problem, not the British cuisine.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 32898
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
The trouble is most traditional British food is a bit crap and very autumnal.

It is an issue, which is why i did give the get out of European

It's the "prepare 2 days in advance and finish 30 minutes before eating" that's the problem, not the British cuisine.

Yeah, that is true too. If it was easy I wouldn't have needed to ask for your help.

I won't say I'm disappointed with you all, but I am obviously. And with your faces
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 28657
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 pm

What meal would you cook with this?

Image
User avatar
spast1kunt
 
Posts: 4016
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles