Gravy

Eat, drink and be merry.

Gravy

Post by Dirk @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:17 am

A proper roast needs good gravy, right? (no sniggering at the back).

So what do you use to add depth and flavour to yours?
I have at times used (successfully) amongst other things
red and white whine (obvs)
Various herbs (equally obvs)
chestnuts
mushrooms
Truffles (from those jars of truffles you get, not v expensive proper ones)
Redcurrant jelly

As well as the relevant stock in the roasting tin with a carrot or two, onion etc that have been roasted with the meat, again obvs

But I'm open to other suggestions and ideas.

I did think of asking this the other day, but it occurred to me that the one CTFer who I thought would be all over this is Tokes, and now he is back so time to post
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: Gravy

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am

I'm not a fan of red wine in gravy and I'm a massive truffle-disliking pleb also.

TBH getting the roasting tin with the remnants of the crispy parsnips etc (the ones that stuck to the bottom) on the hob, and using the cooking water from the sprouts, will get you 90% of the way there. If I've got some stock in the freezer I'll use that, otherwise one of those stock melt things.

Herbs? No. Redcurrant jelly? No. The string off the roast? Yes (take it out before pouring, you lunatic!).
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:33 am

Stick some onions, garlic and finely chopped vegetables in with the meat at the bottom. Doesn't matter if they blacken and stick, almost better.
Use the vegetable water plus a vegetable stock cube.
A touch of cider if pork, if something else wine is optional.
Its about the only 'cooking' I do.
Agree with Ceej, herbs are a definite no.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:35 am

Dirk wrote:I did think of asking this the other day, but it occurred to me that the one CTFer who I thought would be all over this is Tokes, and now he is back so time to post

I reckon Teeks could be a total gravy nerd too.

This is a timely thread for me as I messed up roast chicken gravy yesterday - I put a whole cut up lemon in the cavity while it cooked and it was too much for the gravy which ended up lemon flavour. It wasn't awful but neither was it very nice.

Does everyone put flour in? What's the process.

I take the chicken out of the dish, leaving all the juices and whatever veg it was sat on (usually onions and carrots), seive and stir in some flour, add a couple of glugs of wine, then let that bubble on the hob for a bit. Then add some water, bit of a stock cube (or one of those jelly ones).

Then I strain it into a gravy boat, and spend ages trying to spoon off the fat. They need to invent something that does that. Have they? Probably whatever they use to sort out oil slicks at sea - soak it up with cormorants or whatever. I once bought a cooking syringe to do it because I assumed that was what it was for, but it was rubbish.

( the gravy is probably extra fatty because of how I make the chicken AMAZING, which is stuffing an absolute tonne of butter under the breast skin before roasting it.)
span

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 am

Couple of teaspoonfuls of Bisto?
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 am

I made roast lamb yesterday.
I used the veg water plus this and it was perfectly good.

Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm

span wrote:Then I strain it into a gravy boat, and spend ages trying to spoon off the fat. They need to invent something that does that. Have they? Probably whatever they use to sort out oil slicks at sea - soak it up with cormorants or whatever. I once bought a cooking syringe to do it because I assumed that was what it was for, but it was rubbish.

They have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Gravy-Separator/dp/B000SAC1IG

Or these, same principle:

https://www.fishpond.com.au/c/Kitchen/q/Fat+Separator+Jug
tanglerat

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:35 pm

span wrote:I reckon Teeks could be a total gravy nerd too.

You’d think so but it’s something I can’t be bothered with anymore. I used to get molecular with it but was never 100% satisfied. Then one day my wife bought this and I haven’t made any since.

I was gutted to find it’s just as good as I could make but tbh also relieved. When a roast is coming together there are so many elements which are reaching their cooking time and the hassle of perfecting a gravy is something I can do without. Their turkey and beef gravy is just as good.

The only gravy I make these days is lamb to go with my overly complicated shepherd’s pie.
thekungfury

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Highjack a KFC lorry...
Careless Whisperer

Post by NNK @ Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 pm

The best gravy granules EVER are Watties (so Heinz I suppose) but are only available from the cash and carry restaurant/takeaway places here. Therefore I have to buy 3kg at a time.
Make it with the veg water and scrape onion, garlic, juices out of roasting pan.
A mates mother came for dinner on sunday and said it was the best gravy she had tasted, she left with a container of granules.
NNK

Post by span @ Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am

tanglerat wrote:
span wrote:They need to invent something that does that.

They have:

Yay! Thanks TR, I've just ordered one from amazon!

My other question is, does no one else use flour to thicken the gravy?
span

Post by Freddie @ Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am

span wrote:
tanglerat wrote:

They have:

I do. Or corn flour.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm

span wrote:
tanglerat wrote:

They have:

Don't forget, it takes time for the liquid to settle and the fat to seperate out. Stick it in the fridge to speed it along.
tanglerat

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:27 am

Here's my method for gravy.

Let's assume it's a roast chicken I'm doing as that's what we often have as a roast.

I'll roast the bird with segments of orange in between the legs and in the cavity, cover it in butter and S&P and then stick some unskinned garlic cloves in the folds and cavity too and I rest the chicken on some thinly sliced onion.

After the chicken's cooked, I take it out and then all the juice that's in the pan I put in one of those gravy separating jugs and then take a tablespoon of fat from the top and put it back in the pan. Heat this up and whisk in a spoon of flour and make a sort of roux. Then I add a glass of white wine and boil off the alcohol (while ironically guzzling the remaining wine as if it's squash because white's a soft drink right?), stirring all the time. Then the non oil part of the jug goes in to the pan with 300-400ml of chicken (or vegetable) stock and I reduce it down to about 1/2 of its size. I might stir in a small amount of Colemans too if it needs it/I fancy it/it looks a bit oily.

Absolutely disgusted to hear that teeks buys in gravy. I can only imagine at the absolute horror at the rest of the dinner - Aunt Bessies yorkies, pre-cooked and sliced roast beef and frozen roast potatoes? Of course I know you're better than that but am still surprised/heartbroken.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Sounds amazing, but also a lot of work when there's everything else to carve/dish up.
CJ+

Post by Dirk @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Proper gravy is always worth it.

Hadn't thought of using mustard to cut any oiliness. Must try that.
Dirk

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:47 pm

CJ+ wrote:Sounds amazing, but also a lot of work when there's everything else to carve/dish up.

It takes about 20 minutes, 15 of which is just reduction. Perfect time for a joint to rest and be carved and serving up to be done.
Tokyo Sexwale

Return to Food & Drink Corner