Some drink

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: Some drink

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 pm

I think this summer I will roll with Purple Drank or maybe you know it as Sizzurp. Either way, that sweet mix of codeine and jolly ranchers is where it’s at.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
span wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.

Oooo!! That IS intriguing and possibly lovely.

I think a neat gin drink could only be a last drink of the evening, in place of bourbon (by the way, I asked on here before about bourbon and am slightly embarrassed to admit that my nightcap is now a tiny smidge of maple syrup in the glass, then bourbon, ice optional) but it sounds lovely!

Is it easy to make, Tokes? Or can I buy it? (I don't mean off you)

I basically do this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-gin with rhubarb from the garden and a Waitrose London Gin. Drinking gin neat sounds like a late drink but because this is sweet, it's a great starter - somehow doesn't seem nearly as boozy. Can you even grown/buy rhubarb out there?

This year's first batch

Could do a tasting by post again?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Strawman @ Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:28 pm

I'd like a free sample, since I like gin and to a lesser extent rhubarb, do you mix this with anything? Fizzy water or whatever.
Strawman

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Might try rhubarb this year. We do a small batch of sloe each year and a massive one of damson every few years. The latter is incredible when it sits in the demijohn for so long.
Käsemeister

Post by NNK @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:06 pm

As a front runner for Parent of the Year 2018 I let my 15yo daughter mix us cocktails yesterday afternoon, to say that she has inherited her fathers heavy hand is an understatement.
I was a little slow extracting myself from from bed today.
NNK

Post by Greg66 @ Sat May 05, 2018 11:28 pm

span wrote:I'll be interested in your findings, a good Old Fashioned is unbeatable.

You're right though, not summery! I don't spend my summers on the veranda, admonishing the help, so I won't be drinking mint juleps. Are we still allowed to drink Aperol Spritzes or are they well naff now? Maybe I need a new summer drink!!!! EXCITING!!!

By jingo I think I’ve cracked it!

A level teaspoon of white sugar and a dash of Angosturas in a glass. Cut a small slice of orange and squeeze maybe a dozen drops of juice into it. Discard the slice. Add just a bit less than a tablespoon of water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Add a ton of ice. Then a generous slug (and a half) of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Add a couple of drops of the syrup that maraschino cherries come in - the tip of a teaspoon is perfect. Stir.

Top up the glass with ice and garnish with a maraschino cherry (stem attached) and a thin oval shaped slice of orange peel (no flesh) about the size of the pad of your thumb.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 am

What happens if the slice of orange peel is round rather than oval Greg?
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Sun May 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Then it tastes like it was strained through tramp's shoe S1K.
Last edited by Strawman on Sun May 06, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Sun May 06, 2018 12:44 pm

It will be too thin. Or too thick. Not just right though.
Greg66

Post by stuart @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Got these over Christmas, a few I haven't tried before!

stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:56 pm

You need to holiday overseas more. I recognise many of those!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:57 pm

That looks like a good selection but what will you be drinking tomorrow night though Stuart?
S1K

Post by Pigeon @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:59 pm

:hehe:

I hit "End" as soon as the thread loaded and then scrolled up, so I saw loads of photos of different bottles before I got up to who posted them. And I was thinking, "This has gotta be Stuart". And when I got up a bit further, lo and behold it was :)
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:46 am

A competition - We should all send Stu a bottle of our fav/local brew and get his feedback on them.

Since Stu gets to do the chugging and judging, it's only fair he sets the prizes too.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by stuart @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am

La Goudale - Oh god this is undrinkable. When you first drink it, there's really nothing there. It tastes a bit wheat beer'ish but it's pretty bland. THen the after taste hits you, and it's NOT GOOD. I had a couple of mouthfuls just to check that it was actually that bad and tipped the rest down the sink. 1/10

Delerium - Good. Refreshing, easy to drink, not too beer'y, 6.5 points knocked off for an absurdly small bottle.

Duvel - Had this before, I still like it. Strong though at 8.5%. A solid 7.5, small bottle again but then it is 8.5% (the tripel hop version being 9.5%!)

Peroni Doppio Malto - A pretty basic beer, I like regular Peroni but find it a bit 'meh', this isn't that much different. It's pretty smooth. Plenty drinkable but nothing ground breaking. Not too hoppy, not too anything, small head. 6

Liemanns On The Rocks - This is really nice but I can't see when you would drink it. It basically tastes like juice. Also looks like juice pouring a pretty vibrant red colour. It's increadibly sweet cherry based flavour, more like a cider than a beer. Supposed to be served with ice. Very drinkable but I wouldn't choose to ever drink it. 7 for taste, 1 for lack of reasons to exist.
Last edited by stuart on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 am

I counter balance to Tokes DJ woes thread.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by S1K @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm

I vomited all over myself on an aeroplane once after drinking Duvel like it was normal beer the previous night. Dangerous stuff.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Last week I bought a crate of beer. I had a look along the shelves, and it was £10 for a pack of ten or £12 for a pack of 18. No brainer, obv!

This week I went back to buy another crate, looking again to enjoy the ridiculous savings available if you drink more than the recommended amount.

However they had changed the price : today it was 10 beers for £10, or 18 beers for £10.

Yes, 18 for the actual same price as 10. Surely this is properly nuts?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Last week I bought a crate of beer. I had a look along the shelves, and it was £10 for a pack of ten or £12 for a pack of 18. No brainer, obv!

This week I went back to buy another crate, looking again to enjoy the ridiculous savings available if you drink more than the recommended amount.

However they had changed the price : today it was 10 beers for £10, or 18 beers for £10.

Yes, 18 for the actual same price as 10. Surely this is properly nuts?

Not if they're different sizes. Or the 18 pack may be close to expiry so they want to get rid of it quickly.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 am

Same sizes. Don't know about dates though.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:07 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Same sizes.

You say same sizes but remember that chat we had about "small" and "far away" ?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Previous

Return to Food & Drink Corner