Dinner!

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: Dinner!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm

S1K wrote:Does it taste as good as it looks? The middle picture makes me want to eat so much beef that I get the sweats and need to lie down.
Deffo. The middle picture is insanely enticing.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm

It’s about 1.3kg if brisket so it would definitely give you meat sweats. In the bowl is probably just under a kilo or so once the fat, gristle and connective tissues were removed. Mixed back to the sauce there is plenty for tonight plus two portions to freeze.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm

That looks insanely good. What’s it going in?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Sorry forget the requests for pork.
When you said ragu I thought you meant a meat sauce for pasta/lasagne, which that isn't.
Looks good though. As Tokey said, what's it for?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Il Duce wrote:When you said ragu I thought you meant a meat sauce for pasta/lasagne, which that isn't.

The shredded meat went back into the dutch oven to combine with the sauce that it was braised in (soffritto, wine, stock, passata, herbs). It reduces a lot so quite a thick sauce and I didn’t take a picture but it mostly resembles this which is how we had it last night, baked with gnocchi.

The rest I froze flat in freezer bags and had the genius idea of freezing them inside the dish I use for lasagna. That way when I next make lasagna I can just layer it up from frozen, top with bechamel and bake.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 pm

That looks amazing, Teeks.

I like the idea of a gnocchi topping - do you pre-cook them and just stick on a bit of parmesan and cheese or whev?
span

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Ah I missed the shredding bit. Funny way to do it. Why didn't you mince the meat you had before you cooked it?

Don't forget to tell us how the lasagne goes with the frozen ragu slices. Really curious to see if it works.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 pm

span wrote:I like the idea of a gnocchi topping - do you pre-cook them and just stick on a bit of parmesan and cheese or whev?

Just top with parmesan and bake for 25m. They’re like an Italian dumpling I guess. Quite stodgy but simple comforting midweek Autumnal supper. Cosy jumpers and crackling fireplaces.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Il Duce wrote:Ah I missed the shredding bit. Funny way to do it. Why didn't you mince the meat you had before you cooked it?

Don't forget to tell us how the lasagne goes with the frozen ragu slices. Really curious to see if it works.

Different texture to mince. Nicer imo.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:21 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Ah I missed the shredding bit. Funny way to do it. Why didn't you mince the meat you had before you cooked it?

Ah like pulled pork.

Fvck that. Horrid.

<smashes head into cooker to try and forget the horror>
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Il Duce wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Ah like pulled pork.

Fvck that. Horrid.

No, like osso bucco. Stop being scared of meat you baby.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:04 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Ah like pulled pork.

Fvck that. Horrid.

No, like osso bucco. Stop being scared of meat you baby.

It's not ossobucco. It's ragu. It's like serving me a boiled egg with my full english.
See. Hurts doesn't it?
I am def NOT coming for dinner ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 am

Il Duce wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:This coming weekend is a significant birthday for me, so I've done what anybody would do and arranged for a load of my friends and family to join us in a field in the middle of nowhere for a spot of camping... at the end of September.

Anyway, camping and cooking go hand in hand obvs, so I've ordered a whole salmon to cook with a court bouillon in my fish kettle. I don't know how many it will feed, I don't know how many will turn up and I've no idea if it will be a wash out.

I'll update you on Monday with how it turns out...

Ok. Who's running the book on this?

I'll say:
1. feed 20
2. attendees 30
3. Dry weather

1. Enough for about 25 - was damn good too. Timings went to pot a bit, so didn't get all the veggies ready, but lemon & parsley saucevfinisged it off nicely.

Leftovers went amazingly well with a fullcooked breakfast too - who new salmon and bacon were so good together?

2. 22 adults and about 20 kids. I must be popular if that many people want to freeze their tits off in a field with me.

3. Weather was dry - yay! Beautiful and sunny during the day, but bloody cold at night. Ice on the tent kind of cold!
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am

Did you do all the cooking and food prep? On your birthday? That doesn't sound like much fun.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 am

Teeks that looks fantastic. Imma gonna do one of those.
minimoog

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Did you do all the cooking and food prep? On your birthday? That doesn't sound like much fun.

I enjoy cooking. I did the Salmon, others did veggie chilli, burgers, hot dogs etc and breakfast the following day.
Careless Whisperer

Post by span @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm

That sounds really fun, CW, I'm glad it went well! And happy birthday for the weekend!
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Did you do all the cooking and food prep? On your birthday? That doesn't sound like much fun.

I enjoy cooking. I did the Salmon, others did veggie chilli, burgers, hot dogs etc and breakfast the following day.

I enjoy cooking too though I think I'd draw the line at 40-odd people! Glad you had a great birthday though!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Blue Meanie @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:04 pm

Currently making a chicken stew.

By stew I obviously mean some sort of slop with stuff in.
Blue Meanie

Location: New York State - Kazakhstan - Nigeria - Poland - Middle east, and now Bulgaria!

Post by Firkin @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Blue Meanie wrote:Currently making a chicken stew.

By stew I obviously mean some sort of slop with stuff in.

On the hob, oven or slow cooker?

I've rather become addicted to my slow cooker. I've done some weird stuff in it like make bread and fudge, not at the same time obvs but both were pretty good.

But my favourite is simple stuff like meatballs, or brisket thrown on with a bed of root veg. So great to walk in at night to dinner ready to eat.
Last edited by Firkin on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firkin

Post by Blue Meanie @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:23 pm

On the Woodstove. Got to get a slow cooker!
Blue Meanie

Location: New York State - Kazakhstan - Nigeria - Poland - Middle east, and now Bulgaria!

Post by Dirk @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Meatballs? <Shudder>

Primary schools spheres of globulised gristle put me off those for ever
Dirk

Post by Blue Meanie @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Mmmmm, gristle...
Blue Meanie

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Dirk wrote:Meatballs? <Shudder>

What is it about school meat that it always has so high a ratio of gristle to muscle tissue that it's a wonder the animal it came from was ever a viable organism in the first place? And school bacon always has loads of those hard round white nodules that you never get in normal bacon. It's like someone tried to breed some special strains of genetically modified animals designed specifically for burger-making, only they went too far and the burger factories found it broke all their machines when they tried to use it so they punted the breeds to schools instead.

It's like that special training that school cooks get which ensures they can't even cook fcuking boiled potatoes without making them taste like arse. You'd think something like a boiled spud was so simple to do nobody could possibly fcuk it up, but school cooks manage it somehow.

One school I went to one of the older lads got up a petition complaining about the state of the swill they expected us to eat. Naturally everyone who heard about it signed it and he duly handed it into the kitchens. Apparently the cook burst into tears when she read it, and the headmaster got us all together for a mass bollocking and bellowed himself red in the face at us for ages. His stance was that the most important thing about school dinners was for us all to collude in the policy of deceiving the cook into believing she was competent and not upset her by bursting her bubble, for which purpose it was our rightful place to suffer this nauseating shite every lunchtime and we had no business getting above our station by actually complaining about it.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by S1K @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 pm

At my primary school we could smell the vegetables cooking for lunch as we arrived at ten to nine in the morning.
S1K

Post by Blue Meanie @ Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm

S1K wrote:At my primary school we could smell the vegetables cooking for lunch as we arrived at ten to nine in the morning.
How else are they supposed to attain the correct level of mush without boiling them all morning?

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Blue Meanie

Post by Firkin @ Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:08 am

Dirk wrote:Meatballs? <Shudder>

:rofl:
If you buy them pre-made. I make my own so only good stuff goes in.
Firkin

Post by span @ Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:11 am

Agreed! I did meatballs and spaghetti on Sunday and they were great. The result looked like a Homer Simpson dinner.
span

Previous

Return to Food & Drink Corner