some food

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: some food

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Never heard of them before, but excellent idea.

My daughter is coeliac, these would allow us to have a small uncontaminated area of a communal BBQ

Thanks DIBs
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 31403
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 pm

They look great in the ads I’ve seen. How well they survive the heat/cleaning would be my concern.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50100
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: some food

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 pm

So a no from ID and a maybe from Dirk and Tokes, so obviously I've ordered some.

I will report back.
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 18227
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: some food

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:45 pm

They look awful. Why not just use a frying pan on your stove?
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 am

My mate and I made our bi-annual pilgrimage to Le Mans at the weekend. For the past few years we have camped in a lovely woodland spot between Arnage village/town and the Porsche Curves. Such is the friendliness and calmness of the campsite (no exploding golf carts, fireworks or German techno music) that we try to raise the bar on 'luxury' each trip - in particular with regards to food, where a diet of BBQ'd burgers for five days is simply not on the agenda.

This year I had the 'luxury' of a double burner gas stove, meaning it was easier to cook multiple pots to make a meal. This was good, because after arriving on Thursday afternoon and erecting camp, we thoroughly deserved sitting back with a few beers and a thai green curry with lime and coriander rice:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Over the next few days we just chilled out with some simpler meals like spaghetti Bolognese, sausage and mash, cooked breakfasts and a big win of perfecting the warming of pastries on the BBQ:

Image

Image

Then after the race on Sunday evening, a pot roast beef was just the ticket:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

So after a thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying weekend, I'm now thinking about how to raise the bar further for our next trip... Suggestions welcome. :)
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Burp!
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37375
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: some food

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13586
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: some food

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Il Duce wrote:Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.

Yes, gravy or mustard would have been good, but luckily the beef was succulent and full of flavour on its own. I like the slight sweetness the coke gives to the outside of the meet too, which would be masked by any accompaniments.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Tonight's dinner was simple and nice. Maple-glazed belly pork, broad beans, new potatoes, and a half sweetheart cabbage split down the middle, the crunchy core taken out, and braised very gently with a lid on. The bit in contact with the pan caramelised up a bid, and the outer leaves steamed through.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16927
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 am

I mentioned that I was in China last week. I asked my colleagues to take me for proper local food as the previous trip we'd not ventured outside of the restaurants in our hotel. They shared a knowing look and declared they thought they knew the perfect place to take me.

Hobsons.jpg
Hobsons.jpg (226.26 KiB) Viewed 400 times


It seems that once the butcher has done with the best bits of the duck, these guys come along and buy whatever is left, soak it in some sort of soy sauce mix and then cook it and then let it get cold. How fcuking hungry would you need to be for you to even consider eating a ducks beak?

I can't explain how excited the girls were that they found this place and they even bought extra to take back to the hotel for snacks.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: some food

Post by span @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am

Euw... And somehow the grossest bit is
HappyGoLucky wrote:and then let it get cold.

enough saltiness and frying would make a lot of things adequately appetising, but the idea of a cold duck's beak / foot / brain is too far. Too far, China!!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7448
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: some food

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:55 am

span wrote:Euw... And somehow the grossest bit is
HappyGoLucky wrote:and then let it get cold.

enough saltiness and frying would make a lot of things adequately appetising, but the idea of a cold duck's beak / foot / brain is too far. Too far, China!!

I settled on the neck which are the small round bits between the beaks & the feet. It was ok, nothing more.

Once we'd finished our duck bits, we went to a proper restaurant and had proper run-over duck with pancakes and ice cold snowflake beer. Crispy bits of duck are way better than crispy ducks bits.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: some food

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:25 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.

Yes, gravy or mustard would have been good, but luckily the beef was succulent and full of flavour on its own. I like the slight sweetness the coke gives to the outside of the meet too, which would be masked by any accompaniments.


WTF! You cooked the beef in Coca Cola?
Is this a thing? When did it start? Is it just for beef?
I'm genuinely astounded.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13586
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: some food

Post by Pigeon @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
span wrote:Euw... And somehow the grossest bit is
HappyGoLucky wrote:and then let it get cold.

enough saltiness and frying would make a lot of things adequately appetising, but the idea of a cold duck's beak / foot / brain is too far. Too far, China!!

I settled on the neck which are the small round bits between the beaks & the feet. It was ok, nothing more.

Once we'd finished our duck bits, we went to a proper restaurant and had proper run-over duck with pancakes and ice cold snowflake beer. Crispy bits of duck are way better than crispy ducks bits.


What's fcuk the duck until exploded like, or haven't you tried that?
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24204
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: some food

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 am

Pigeon wrote:What's fcuk the duck until exploded like, or haven't you tried that?


Not thus far, not really my bag, baby.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: some food

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.

Yes, gravy or mustard would have been good, but luckily the beef was succulent and full of flavour on its own. I like the slight sweetness the coke gives to the outside of the meet too, which would be masked by any accompaniments.


WTF! You cooked the beef in Coca Cola?
Is this a thing? When did it start? Is it just for beef?
I'm genuinely astounded.


This was my fearful interpretation of that photo too. My brain kind of closed down in self-defence on seeing it so I didn't get to suggest cooking it in stock and red wine at the very least. Also, boiling it in a tin isn't 'pot roasting'.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9952
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: some food

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm

minimoog wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.

Yes, gravy or mustard would have been good, but luckily the beef was succulent and full of flavour on its own. I like the slight sweetness the coke gives to the outside of the meet too, which would be masked by any accompaniments.


WTF! You cooked the beef in Coca Cola?
Is this a thing? When did it start? Is it just for beef?
I'm genuinely astounded.


This was my fearful interpretation of that photo too. My brain kind of closed down in self-defence on seeing it so I didn't get to suggest cooking it in stock and red wine at the very least. Also, boiling it in a tin isn't 'pot roasting'.


At least raising the bar next year will be easy: Greggs pasty.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13586
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: some food

Post by S1K @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm

A friend of mine tried cooking meat in Coke once. I wasn’t a fan. It tasted like meat which had been cooked in Coke.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7241
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: some food

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

S1K wrote:A friend of mine tried cooking meat in Coke once. I wasn’t a fan. It tasted like meat which had been cooked in Coke.

Well fcuk knows what they did with it, because it doesn't taste of coke at all.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm

You lot shouldn't knock it until you try it. I was dubious at first, but have done it a few times now and it really is good. Obviously it's not a Michelin star meal, but it's cooked on a camping stove FFS. Plenty of info out there for 'stovetop' or 'hob' pot-roasts. Again, how else can you have a roast dinner with just a camping stove to cook on?

As with most of the bollox spouted online these days, context is everything.

So I propose a challenge. It's summer (believe it or not) outside, so get out there with your camping stove (at a push I suppose we could allow BBQs) and do better. We can have a vote on the best one in Autumn.
Last edited by Careless Whisperer on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by span @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I think it sounds pretty good for outdoor cooking. I haven't thought of beef in cola before but ham in cola is pretty common isn't it? I did last Christmas's ham that way before baking and it was beeeyoootiful
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7448
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: some food

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 pm

span wrote:I think it sounds pretty good for outdoor cooking. I haven't thought of beef in cola before but ham in cola is pretty common isn't it? I did last Christmas's ham that way before baking and it was beeeyoootiful


Yep, ham in cola done in a slow cooker is great. I think I've seen a way of doing a cola glaze for salmon too, but can't remember the details. Basically, you can cook anything in anything if you really want to. Some work well, some not so well, but if you are a competent cook it'll never be a bad meal.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:19 pm

span wrote:Euw... And somehow the grossest bit is
HappyGoLucky wrote:and then let it get cold.

enough saltiness and frying would make a lot of things adequately appetising, but the idea of a cold duck's beak / foot / brain is too far. Too far, China!!


Agreed. It's totally quackers.
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7625
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: some food

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
span wrote:I think it sounds pretty good for outdoor cooking. I haven't thought of beef in cola before but ham in cola is pretty common isn't it? I did last Christmas's ham that way before baking and it was beeeyoootiful


Yep, ham in cola done in a slow cooker is great. I think I've seen a way of doing a cola glaze for salmon too, but can't remember the details. Basically, you can cook anything in anything if you really want to. Some work well, some not so well, but if you are a competent cook it'll never be a bad meal.

Ham/pork in cola is fantastic and I’ve also done chicken in it with good results. I’ve not tried beef but if you’ve tried it and it’s nice then who is anyone to judge. Especially someone who makes a living selling corned beef pie and full english breakfasts ffs.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50100
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: some food

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm

I don't know why anyone would go to the effort of boiling beef in coke when red wine exists and you're in France.

That said I must admit admit a guilty please is the JD glaze you get at TGI so I will reserve judgement until I've tried it which I won't.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm

thekungfury wrote:I don't know why anyone would go to the effort of boiling beef in coke when red wine exists and you're in France.


To be fair, that's a good point and well made.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15703
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: some food

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote: I’ve also done chicken in it with good results.

Tell me more.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16927
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: some food

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm

thekungfury wrote:I don't know why anyone would go to the effort of boiling beef in coke when red wine exists and you're in France.


This guy gets it.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9952
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: some food

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Again, how else can you have a roast dinner with just a camping stove to cook on?


I always take a portable kettle bbq camping - you can roast in that if you can get an indirect heat going. Admittedly you'd need to keep it going quite a long time which could be tricky. Perhaps a combo of pre-cooking in the pot - in wine - then transferring to the bbq for 30+ mins to get some flavour and texture going. That could work.

Oh and put some chopped carrots, celery, onions, garlic and thyme in the pot too - fried off in olive oil before adding the liquid. I'd chuck a stock cube in too and water as required. Then stir in some mustard and reduce the sauce down while the meat's on the bbq.
Last edited by minimoog on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9952
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: some food

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm

CJ+ wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote: I’ve also done chicken in it with good results.

Tell me more.

This sort of thing:

https://omnivorescookbook.com/braised-coca-cola-chicken-wings/
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50100
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles