some food

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: some food

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Never heard of them before, but excellent idea.

My daughter is coeliac, these would allow us to have a small uncontaminated area of a communal BBQ

Thanks DIBs
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 pm

They look great in the ads I’ve seen. How well they survive the heat/cleaning would be my concern.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 pm

So a no from ID and a maybe from Dirk and Tokes, so obviously I've ordered some.

I will report back.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:45 pm

They look awful. Why not just use a frying pan on your stove?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 am

My mate and I made our bi-annual pilgrimage to Le Mans at the weekend. For the past few years we have camped in a lovely woodland spot between Arnage village/town and the Porsche Curves. Such is the friendliness and calmness of the campsite (no exploding golf carts, fireworks or German techno music) that we try to raise the bar on 'luxury' each trip - in particular with regards to food, where a diet of BBQ'd burgers for five days is simply not on the agenda.

This year I had the 'luxury' of a double burner gas stove, meaning it was easier to cook multiple pots to make a meal. This was good, because after arriving on Thursday afternoon and erecting camp, we thoroughly deserved sitting back with a few beers and a thai green curry with lime and coriander rice:

Over the next few days we just chilled out with some simpler meals like spaghetti Bolognese, sausage and mash, cooked breakfasts and a big win of perfecting the warming of pastries on the BBQ:

Then after the race on Sunday evening, a pot roast beef was just the ticket:

So after a thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying weekend, I'm now thinking about how to raise the bar further for our next trip... Suggestions welcome. :)
Careless Whisperer

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Burp!
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Il Duce wrote:Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.

Yes, gravy or mustard would have been good, but luckily the beef was succulent and full of flavour on its own. I like the slight sweetness the coke gives to the outside of the meet too, which would be masked by any accompaniments.
Careless Whisperer

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Tonight's dinner was simple and nice. Maple-glazed belly pork, broad beans, new potatoes, and a half sweetheart cabbage split down the middle, the crunchy core taken out, and braised very gently with a lid on. The bit in contact with the pan caramelised up a bid, and the outer leaves steamed through.
CJ+

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 am

I mentioned that I was in China last week. I asked my colleagues to take me for proper local food as the previous trip we'd not ventured outside of the restaurants in our hotel. They shared a knowing look and declared they thought they knew the perfect place to take me.

Hobsons.jpg
Hobsons.jpg (226.26 KiB) Viewed 400 times

It seems that once the butcher has done with the best bits of the duck, these guys come along and buy whatever is left, soak it in some sort of soy sauce mix and then cook it and then let it get cold. How fcuking hungry would you need to be for you to even consider eating a ducks beak?

I can't explain how excited the girls were that they found this place and they even bought extra to take back to the hotel for snacks.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by span @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am

Euw... And somehow the grossest bit is
HappyGoLucky wrote:and then let it get cold.

enough saltiness and frying would make a lot of things adequately appetising, but the idea of a cold duck's beak / foot / brain is too far. Too far, China!!
span

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:55 am

span wrote:Euw... And somehow the grossest bit is

enough saltiness and frying would make a lot of things adequately appetising, but the idea of a cold duck's beak / foot / brain is too far. Too far, China!!

I settled on the neck which are the small round bits between the beaks & the feet. It was ok, nothing more.

Once we'd finished our duck bits, we went to a proper restaurant and had proper run-over duck with pancakes and ice cold snowflake beer. Crispy bits of duck are way better than crispy ducks bits.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:25 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Raise the bar- next year make some gravy to go with your boiled beef and carrots.

Yes, gravy or mustard would have been good, but luckily the beef was succulent and full of flavour on its own. I like the slight sweetness the coke gives to the outside of the meet too, which would be masked by any accompaniments.

WTF! You cooked the beef in Coca Cola?
Is this a thing? When did it start? Is it just for beef?
I'm genuinely astounded.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Pigeon @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:

I settled on the neck which are the small round bits between the beaks & the feet. It was ok, nothing more.

Once we'd finished our duck bits, we went to a proper restaurant and had proper run-over duck with pancakes and ice cold snowflake beer. Crispy bits of duck are way better than crispy ducks bits.

What's fcuk the duck until exploded like, or haven't you tried that?
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 am

Pigeon wrote:What's fcuk the duck until exploded like, or haven't you tried that?

Not thus far, not really my bag, baby.
HappyGoLucky

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Il Duce wrote:

I'm genuinely astounded.

This was my fearful interpretation of that photo too. My brain kind of closed down in self-defence on seeing it so I didn't get to suggest cooking it in stock and red wine at the very least. Also, boiling it in a tin isn't 'pot roasting'.
minimoog

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm

minimoog wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

I'm genuinely astounded.

This was my fearful interpretation of that photo too. My brain kind of closed down in self-defence on seeing it so I didn't get to suggest cooking it in stock and red wine at the very least. Also, boiling it in a tin isn't 'pot roasting'.

At least raising the bar next year will be easy: Greggs pasty.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm

A friend of mine tried cooking meat in Coke once. I wasn’t a fan. It tasted like meat which had been cooked in Coke.
S1K

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

S1K wrote:A friend of mine tried cooking meat in Coke once. I wasn’t a fan. It tasted like meat which had been cooked in Coke.

Well fcuk knows what they did with it, because it doesn't taste of coke at all.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm

You lot shouldn't knock it until you try it. I was dubious at first, but have done it a few times now and it really is good. Obviously it's not a Michelin star meal, but it's cooked on a camping stove FFS. Plenty of info out there for 'stovetop' or 'hob' pot-roasts. Again, how else can you have a roast dinner with just a camping stove to cook on?

As with most of the bollox spouted online these days, context is everything.

So I propose a challenge. It's summer (believe it or not) outside, so get out there with your camping stove (at a push I suppose we could allow BBQs) and do better. We can have a vote on the best one in Autumn.
Last edited by Careless Whisperer on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Careless Whisperer

Post by span @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I think it sounds pretty good for outdoor cooking. I haven't thought of beef in cola before but ham in cola is pretty common isn't it? I did last Christmas's ham that way before baking and it was beeeyoootiful
span

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 pm

span wrote:I think it sounds pretty good for outdoor cooking. I haven't thought of beef in cola before but ham in cola is pretty common isn't it? I did last Christmas's ham that way before baking and it was beeeyoootiful

Yep, ham in cola done in a slow cooker is great. I think I've seen a way of doing a cola glaze for salmon too, but can't remember the details. Basically, you can cook anything in anything if you really want to. Some work well, some not so well, but if you are a competent cook it'll never be a bad meal.
Careless Whisperer

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:19 pm

Agreed. It's totally quackers.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:27 pm

span wrote:I think it sounds pretty good for outdoor cooking. I haven't thought of beef in cola before but ham in cola is pretty common isn't it? I did last Christmas's ham that way before baking and it was beeeyoootiful

Yep, ham in cola done in a slow cooker is great. I think I've seen a way of doing a cola glaze for salmon too, but can't remember the details. Basically, you can cook anything in anything if you really want to. Some work well, some not so well, but if you are a competent cook it'll never be a bad meal.

Ham/pork in cola is fantastic and I’ve also done chicken in it with good results. I’ve not tried beef but if you’ve tried it and it’s nice then who is anyone to judge. Especially someone who makes a living selling corned beef pie and full english breakfasts ffs.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm

I don't know why anyone would go to the effort of boiling beef in coke when red wine exists and you're in France.

That said I must admit admit a guilty please is the JD glaze you get at TGI so I will reserve judgement until I've tried it which I won't.
thekungfury

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm

thekungfury wrote:I don't know why anyone would go to the effort of boiling beef in coke when red wine exists and you're in France.

To be fair, that's a good point and well made.
Careless Whisperer

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote: I’ve also done chicken in it with good results.

Tell me more.
CJ+

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm

thekungfury wrote:I don't know why anyone would go to the effort of boiling beef in coke when red wine exists and you're in France.

This guy gets it.
minimoog

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Again, how else can you have a roast dinner with just a camping stove to cook on?

I always take a portable kettle bbq camping - you can roast in that if you can get an indirect heat going. Admittedly you'd need to keep it going quite a long time which could be tricky. Perhaps a combo of pre-cooking in the pot - in wine - then transferring to the bbq for 30+ mins to get some flavour and texture going. That could work.

Oh and put some chopped carrots, celery, onions, garlic and thyme in the pot too - fried off in olive oil before adding the liquid. I'd chuck a stock cube in too and water as required. Then stir in some mustard and reduce the sauce down while the meat's on the bbq.
Last edited by minimoog on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
minimoog

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm

CJ+ wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote: I’ve also done chicken in it with good results.

Tell me more.

This sort of thing:

https://omnivorescookbook.com/braised-coca-cola-chicken-wings/
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink Corner