Some drink

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: Some drink

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Mine is sugar syrup, angostura dash, some orange peel and makers mark. Plus ice obv.
Granulated sugar is madness gregg.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50115
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by stuart @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Greg66 wrote:Mod #6: this is the one I didn't see the bartender doing clearly enough. Muddle the sugar and Angostura with a bit of orange peel, and remove the orange when done. This should give a nice orange hint, but when I try it I end up with little itty bits of mashed orange peel in the drink because the muddler destroys the peel and I can't get all the bits out.


Even going from one glass to another via a really fine sieve?
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 18169
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: There
Highscores: 2

Re: Some drink

Post by span @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 pm

I'll be interested in your findings, a good Old Fashioned is unbeatable.

You're right though, not summery! I don't spend my summers on the veranda, admonishing the help, so I won't be drinking mint juleps. Are we still allowed to drink Aperol Spritzes or are they well naff now? Maybe I need a new summer drink!!!! EXCITING!!!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:51 pm

I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50115
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by span @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.

Oooo!! That IS intriguing and possibly lovely.

I think a neat gin drink could only be a last drink of the evening, in place of bourbon (by the way, I asked on here before about bourbon and am slightly embarrassed to admit that my nightcap is now a tiny smidge of maple syrup in the glass, then bourbon, ice optional) but it sounds lovely!

Is it easy to make, Tokes? Or can I buy it? (I don't mean off you)
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm

span wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.

Oooo!! That IS intriguing and possibly lovely.

I think a neat gin drink could only be a last drink of the evening, in place of bourbon (by the way, I asked on here before about bourbon and am slightly embarrassed to admit that my nightcap is now a tiny smidge of maple syrup in the glass, then bourbon, ice optional) but it sounds lovely!

Is it easy to make, Tokes? Or can I buy it? (I don't mean off you)



Slingsby and (I think) Brockmans do a rhubarb gin
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Mine is sugar syrup, angostura dash, some orange peel and makers mark. Plus ice obv.
Granulated sugar is madness gregg.


I have tried sugar syrup once or twice, but couldn't get the quantity right such that it was either too sweet or not sweet enough.

Usually sugar is used for muddling with fruit or a leaf - it cuts into the flesh as it is being muddled. But not here.

stuart wrote:Even going from one glass to another via a really fine sieve?


I'm certain that whatever it was I missed didn't include that step, because I didn't see that kit and he only used one glass. That might work but it wasn't what he did.

span wrote: I don't spend my summers on the veranda, admonishing the help, so I won't be drinking mint juleps.



You should try it span. On a nice rocking chair on the veranda of a handsome white-painted antebellum house, the sound of cicadas, the smell of the stables in the distance...
Last edited by Greg66 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:18 pm

I've recently discovered an excellent drink.

50ml Disaronno
50ml Lemon juice (this stuff is excellent to have in the cupboard)
1tsp Clementine marmalade (this)
1 orange slice (de-skin/pith them, slice and freeze for later)
Handful of ice cubes

Shake it like a Polaroid picture and serve it in your favourite weighty lowball tumbler.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36535
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some drink

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:24 pm

I was recently given a bottle of this Rhubarb & Ginger Liqueur https://www.edinburghgin.com/shop/gins/ ... er-liqueur

It's ripe for a cocktail ingredient, like you'd use triple sec. Need to find a recipe and give it a try.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36535
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some drink

Post by span @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:46 pm

ttwiggy wrote:Slingsby and (I think) Brockmans do a rhubarb gin

Thanks Twigs, I'm going to have a look for those!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by minornut @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Whitley Neill do a very nice rhubarb gin and also an insanely sweet quince one
User avatar
minornut
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Pit Top
Highscores: 2

Re: Some drink

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:32 pm

stuart wrote:Also good,

Image

A bit thinner than the Weinstepher but still good. Very drinkable and only £1.80 a bottle, compared to £2.80 a bottle for the Weinstephaner.

It seems cheap wheat beer is significantly better than cheap regular beer.


Drinking in the middle of the afternoon again.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37380
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Some drink

Post by stuart @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
stuart wrote:Also good,

Image

A bit thinner than the Weinstepher but still good. Very drinkable and only £1.80 a bottle, compared to £2.80 a bottle for the Weinstephaner.

It seems cheap wheat beer is significantly better than cheap regular beer.


Drinking in the middle of the afternoon again.


I was working from home so had a few beers. It's fine, I probably had less beer than you had coffee :P
Last edited by stuart on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 18169
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: There
Highscores: 2

Re: Some drink

Post by S1K @ Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Image
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am

span wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.

Oooo!! That IS intriguing and possibly lovely.

I think a neat gin drink could only be a last drink of the evening, in place of bourbon (by the way, I asked on here before about bourbon and am slightly embarrassed to admit that my nightcap is now a tiny smidge of maple syrup in the glass, then bourbon, ice optional) but it sounds lovely!

Is it easy to make, Tokes? Or can I buy it? (I don't mean off you)

I basically do this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-gin with rhubarb from the garden and a Waitrose London Gin. Drinking gin neat sounds like a late drink but because this is sweet, it's a great starter - somehow doesn't seem nearly as boozy. Can you even grown/buy rhubarb out there?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50115
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I basically do this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-gin with rhubarb from the garden and a Waitrose London Gin.


I was interested enough to click the link, but then ". Leave for about 4 weeks before drinking. " there is no chance of me ever waiting that long.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40323
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some drink

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:56 am

Sigh!

I'm not drinking again at the moment. Although in theory I shouldn't be anyway because it says in The Rules of my tablets* - because it can make you more drowsy apparently, which would be a preferable thing anyway in my book.

But I'm not drinking because I've decided to be not drinking.

* which some superficial research tells me are actually anti-depressants. I hope that doesn't mean I'm depressed! I'd be fed up about that.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13835
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Some drink

Post by span @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:28 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
span wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.

Oooo!! That IS intriguing and possibly lovely.

I think a neat gin drink could only be a last drink of the evening, in place of bourbon (by the way, I asked on here before about bourbon and am slightly embarrassed to admit that my nightcap is now a tiny smidge of maple syrup in the glass, then bourbon, ice optional) but it sounds lovely!

Is it easy to make, Tokes? Or can I buy it? (I don't mean off you)

I basically do this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-gin with rhubarb from the garden and a Waitrose London Gin. Drinking gin neat sounds like a late drink but because this is sweet, it's a great starter - somehow doesn't seem nearly as boozy. Can you even grown/buy rhubarb out there?

Not easily but yes, only in an english supermarket. I love the idea of it as a summer drink so if I can't buy it in a bottle (because I'm lazy) I'm tempted to make it. In SPITE of the waiting time.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am

span wrote:I'll be interested in your findings, a good Old Fashioned is unbeatable.

You're right though, not summery! I don't spend my summers on the veranda, admonishing the help, so I won't be drinking mint juleps. Are we still allowed to drink Aperol Spritzes or are they well naff now? Maybe I need a new summer drink!!!! EXCITING!!!



Aperol Spritz soooo last year.


This year we will be mainly drinking Campari Spritz.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13597
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Some drink

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:43 am

span wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
span wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I have my summer drink squared away. I make insanely delicious rhubarb gin. Sounds intriguing, I know. It's really sweet, pink and rhubarby and drank neat over ice. It's the actual bomb.

Oooo!! That IS intriguing and possibly lovely.

I think a neat gin drink could only be a last drink of the evening, in place of bourbon (by the way, I asked on here before about bourbon and am slightly embarrassed to admit that my nightcap is now a tiny smidge of maple syrup in the glass, then bourbon, ice optional) but it sounds lovely!

Is it easy to make, Tokes? Or can I buy it? (I don't mean off you)

I basically do this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-gin with rhubarb from the garden and a Waitrose London Gin. Drinking gin neat sounds like a late drink but because this is sweet, it's a great starter - somehow doesn't seem nearly as boozy. Can you even grown/buy rhubarb out there?

Not easily but yes, only in an english supermarket. I love the idea of it as a summer drink so if I can't buy it in a bottle (because I'm lazy) I'm tempted to make it. In SPITE of the waiting time.

It's honestly worth it, my wife and her friends have gone crazy for it. Also, I gave some away as Christmas presents last year and I know how much that'll appeal to you - booze+Christmas!!
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50115
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am

Rhubarb gin sounds great and I’m tempted to try making it. However giving away home made alcohol as a Christmas gift does make me cringe tbh.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36535
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some drink

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am

thekungfury wrote:Rhubarb gin sounds great and I’m tempted to try making it. However giving away home made alcohol as a Christmas gift does make me cringe tbh.

You're only saying that because you haven't tried it...

Also, I'm not wrapping up like a present ffs, just giving it to people who's house we go to at that time of year. Don't make me justify it!
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50115
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

I figured that might be the case and it definitely makes it more acceptable.

I made far too much grapefruit marmalade a while back. Basically enough to last until I die. It’s really delicious and I’d love other people to try it but that’s definitely a step too far.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36535
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some drink

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Rhubarb gin sounds great and I’m tempted to try making it. However giving away home made alcohol as a Christmas gift does make me cringe tbh.

You're only saying that because you haven't tried it...

Also, I'm not wrapping up like a present ffs, just giving it to people who's house we go to at that time of year. Don't make me justify it!

I received some home made rhubarb gin for Christmas and it was one of the best presents i got. It was made using a very similar but scaled up version of your recipe and was fantastic.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4708
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Some drink

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 am

Get your daughter to sell it on a stall outside your house for charity? Brownie points for her at school plus you get shot of it and 30% of the takings.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50115
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by span @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:It's honestly worth it, my wife and her friends have gone crazy for it. Also, I gave some away as Christmas presents last year and I know how much that'll appeal to you - booze+Christmas!!

Ooo, true dat!

thekungfury wrote:Rhubarb gin sounds great and I’m tempted to try making it. However giving away home made alcohol as a Christmas gift does make me cringe tbh.

I do not care for this jealous streak, Teeks. I had just been thinking if I made some, I'd probably try and make extra to take as a Charming Gift to my friends' house one time.

Thinking of booze generally, here's a question - should you START your afternoon / evening (trying to avoid the word 'session') with a stronger drink, or finish it that way? I always used to work up to e.g. cocktails, but then cocktail hour is the FIRST drink isn't it? And last summer Mr Span and I got in the habit of a single (or maybe two) lovely cocktails late afternoon on the weekend, and then normal drinks after, and it was lovely.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:47 pm

span wrote: last summer Mr Span and I got in the habit of a single (or maybe two) lovely cocktails late afternoon on the weekend, and then normal drinks after, and it was lovely.


Careful Spanolita! That's how it starts for ex-pats. Early afternoon cocktails. Then pre lunch cocktails. Then a snifta after breakfast. Then before you know it you're gargling with vodka when you clean your teeth in the morning.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13597
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Some drink

Post by span @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:02 pm

Il Duce wrote:
span wrote: last summer Mr Span and I got in the habit of a single (or maybe two) lovely cocktails late afternoon on the weekend, and then normal drinks after, and it was lovely.


Careful Spanolita! That's how it starts for ex-pats. Early afternoon cocktails. Then pre lunch cocktails. Then a snifta after breakfast. Then before you know it you're gargling with vodka when you clean your teeth in the morning.

Weekends only because otherwise it's an addiction and you have to take steps.

Quite true though. I met a spanish friend for coffee at midday and we saw the waitress take a couple of pints outside, I REALLY doubt they were for Spanishes. I was all >looks wistful< but it was fine, coffee's fine.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some drink

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 pm

span wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Rhubarb gin sounds great and I’m tempted to try making it. However giving away home made alcohol as a Christmas gift does make me cringe tbh.

I do not care for this jealous streak, Teeks. I had just been thinking if I made some, I'd probably try and make extra to take as a Charming Gift to my friends' house one time.

It’s not jealousy, it’s derision. My auntie once gave me (13) and my brother (9) handmade waistcoats as a Charming Gift. You’re one step away here. Two, tops.
Last edited by thekungfury on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36535
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some drink

Post by S1K @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:28 pm

thekungfury wrote: My auntie once gave me (13) and my brother (9) handmade waistcoats as a Charming Gift.

Photos, we need photos.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles