De La Soul

We all love to talk about music.

Re: De La Soul

Post by minimoog @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:44 pm

CJ+ wrote:Him out of Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

I like them. They're pissed off, y'see?
minimoog

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:49 pm

minimoog wrote:

Also only half black, you massive -ist.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by minimoog @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm

CJ+ wrote:
minimoog wrote:

Also only half black, you massive -ist.

I know - I have my vinyl copy of Hypocrisy of the Greatest Luxury here to refer to.
minimoog

Post by minimoog @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:57 pm

is
minimoog

Post by Barbarianna @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:41 pm

If you like NWA moog, reading the abbreviation for what it is, is it because like so many others you would prefer it when people know where they stand against others? A simpler time, to quote Gil Scott Heron, 'When TV was in black and white and so was everything else'. Understandable if a bit quaint. And a lot racist!

Anyway, hip hop voices. Nate Dogg on Regulate (both the superlative single and the album) has got to be a major force. He made my (actual) Pioneer speakers bump as I smoked on the pound alright.
Last edited by Barbarianna on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarianna

Post by minimoog @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Barbarianna wrote:If you like NWA moog, reading the abbreviation for what it is, is it because like so many others you would prefer it when people know where they stand against others? A simpler time, to quote Gil Scott Heron, 'When TV was in black and white and so was everything else'.

Partly that, but mostly because they don't smother their album covers in cartoon flowers like a schoolgirl's exercise book whilst making music that is the exact aural equivalent.

Regulate is ace.
Last edited by minimoog on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimoog

Post by foo @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 pm

I like hip hop as well but I'm not a fan of that R and B style, although I don't mind De La Soul. I prefer the older hip hop up until around the early 90s.
foo

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Barbarianna wrote:Anyway, hip hop voices. Nate Dogg on Regulate (both the superlative single and the album) has got to be a major force. He made my (actual) Pioneer speakers bump as I smoked on the pound alright.

Dope, but more of a G-Funk hook guy than an MC, no?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Barbarianna @ Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 am

thekungfury wrote:
Barbarianna wrote:Anyway, hip hop voices. Nate Dogg on Regulate (both the superlative single and the album) has got to be a major force. He made my (actual) Pioneer speakers bump as I smoked on the pound alright.

Dope, but more of a G-Funk hook guy than an MC, no?

Sheesh! Yes, if you must.

I did think this would prompt a query but dismissed the thought quickly: nobody could be so pedantic. Then I remembered that this is a music trivia thread, and detail is the tyrant King.
That said, there is a lot of crossover and indistinction between the rapping, singing, tuneful rapping and plain hollering. Thinking Flava Flav, Bone Thugs, ODB, even Eminem (Guess who's Back! Nya Nya Nya ): in fact, probably more exceptions than inclusions. So.
Last edited by Barbarianna on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarianna

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:10 am

Method Man has a tremendously compelling voice, I agree. He's also a really nice bloke and recorded a video message for a friend of mine who died of cancer last year, which I thought was superb.

Agree also on Nate Dogg and suggest you all immediately listen to "The Hardest Man in Town" of his solo album. It's like rolled gold.

I also really like the high-pitched NYC sounding bloke out Cypress Hill (you know the one - Hin-sane in the braaaaaaiiiiinnnn) but more for his comic/manic delivery than his smooth tones.

Also, not classic rap but Huey Morgan good tell me bedtime stories I reckon. Albeit bedtime stories about how dis one time, Frankie the mook was playin a double-cross on some goombas from the Southside, you feel me?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 am

I've always liked Slick Rick's delivery too - vocal magic in some of his tracks.

I love the Cyprus hill guys too dis for his comedy. Also LOVE General Levy and Shabba too for retro vocals nostalgia.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Barbarianna @ Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:52 am

FYI everyone-
I just did a loud 'SHABBA!' on my own.

It felt v good. Try it and see!
Might do a few more as the day goes by. Planned one for when in the car too.
Barbarianna

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Can we have an honourable mention for Major Mackerel? He's not a rapper in the classic meaning of the word but is GUARNTEED to raise eyebrows when presented at a civic reception.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Another vote for Nate Dogg on Regulate.
Deuteronomy

Previous

Return to Music Chat