When was the last time you listened to a whole album?

We all love to talk about music.

When was the last time you listened to a whole album?

Post by Otto Sump @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:42 pm

I am a terrible skipper. No, I haven't sunk a boat or anything (laugh), but when listening to music on the iPod, if the song that comes up on shuffle isn't the exact song that I want to hear right now then I'll skip to the next one. And the next. And the next, until I find what I want. And these days you don't even have to buy a whole album to get a specific track (unless the iTunes store says "album only"). Which is shit.

"Modern devices do this!" I hear you say. "They've made us lazy and at the same time difficult to please!" I hear you say again. "We want instant gratification and we want it now!" OK, I get it, please stop going on about it.

Not true though, this isn't a modern phenomenon. Back in the '80s, I had an Aiwa (I know, cool right? No Binatone shit for me, I was well spoiled) "stack system" (from top to bottom: turntable, tuner, graphic equaliser, amp, double tape deck). Deck 'B' on the tape deck could detect the gaps between songs on a cassette and skip to the next track. Brilliant. Convenient. Actually, you could put a tape in deck "A" and a tape in deck "B" and it would play the tape in deck "A" and then play both sides ("Auto Reverse") of the tape in deck "B" giving a potential total of one hundred and twenty minutes of continuous music. Awesome. And Dolby B and C noise reduction. And a "Metal" setting (not for heavy rock, but for ferrous tapes).

Then CDs came along and the "skip" button was introduced and it became so easy to gloss over that "filler" track on your favourite album by your favourite artiste. I think my first CD player actually had the ability to be "programmed" (laugh, it weren't no computer or nothing) to play songs on a CD in whatever order you wanted them played. I know, radical. Dude.

It was, of course, possible to skip tracks on a vinyl LP "record", but you always got the "thump" as the stylus hit the vinyl and it was a bit hit and miss to be fair.

But I had the iPod connected to the stereo in the lorry the other day and "Bombs Away" a track from Zenyatta Mondatta - the third album from The Police came on. And you know what? I thought "Oh wow, I love this album and haven't heard it for, like, ages. So I played the whole album and it was brilliant. Took me right back to my thirteen year old bedroom (to make it clear, I was thirteen, the bedroom itself was probably a bit older) carefully placing the record on my "Dancette" style record player and "getting lost in the music" man. (I well hearted The Police and their first three albums. They went a bit shit after that and I lost interest/had discovered Madness by then).

TLDR: I played a whole album recently - when was the last time YOU did that?
Otto Sump

Re: When was the last time you listened to a whole album?

Post by S1K @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:48 pm

About three weeks ago I sat on the sofa and listened to the whole Nirvana Unplugged on MTV album. I do sometimes put on albums and listen to them in their entirety but it'll normally be while I'm doing other chores. This time I just sat and listened.
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Ages. Probably American Idiot by Green Day. I miss the way you knew, at the end of a song *exactly* how long the silence was and *exactly* why the opening notes of the next song were.

iPods/Spotify: for the impatient generation. Of which I have be own a member.
Greg66

Post by Otto Sump @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Greg66 wrote:I miss the way you knew, at the end of a song *exactly* how long the silence was and *exactly* why the opening notes of the next song were.

Yes. YES. This, exactly.
Otto Sump

Post by Monty @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:37 pm

When?
Yesterday afternoon. Lies! I was listening to an album with a couple of duff tracks deleted from my MP3 thing, now I come to think of it.

When?
Last week.
Last edited by Monty on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:38 pm

I listen to whole albums quite often when in the car, usually playing the same one repeatedly for a few days before switching to another one. Recent ones have been Disturbed's Immortalized and Two Step From Hell's SkyWorld.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:58 pm

I know you'll all hate me but listened to Zooropa by U2 the other day. From start to finish, brilliant.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Oh and Blackstar by David Bowie, again, awesome.
Doctor Congo

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Latest System 7 album, end to end. Lovely.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Regularly listen end to end.
Käsemeister

Post by minimoog @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Often. More often than I don't. I never bother with shuffle, and just listen to the whole thing at least once through, often more. Last time was Friday when I listened to Leftfield's Rhythm and Stealth twice through. On cassette, motherfuckers.
minimoog

Post by Monty @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Jesus Christ!

How the hell did you manage to get that on tape...or did you,err...tape it?
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Paul H @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Today. It was Excitable Boy by Warren Zevon.

Not unusual for me to listen to a whole album; frequent plays go to Dark Side of the Moon, Pet Sounds, Searching for the Young Soul Rebels and Shoot Out the Lights according to my sonos app.
Paul H

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:24 pm

I only ever listen to albums from start to finish, maybe not in one sitting but I never use shuffle or anything similar.

It would be like watching random scenes from different films cobbled together instead of watching one from start to finish. Well it wouldn't be exactly like that, but a bit like that.
manfromdelmonte

Post by minimoog @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:27 pm

Monty wrote:Jesus Christ!

How the hell did you manage to get that on tape...or did you,err...tape it?

Nope it's an original. No idea when or how I got it tbh.
minimoog

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 pm

I don't like skipping so regularly go top to tail.

Especially with vinyl. You just can't skip it. And I like how over time the songs I like on an album ebb and flow from one to another with familiarity...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Very rarely these days. Most of what I listen to is brand new music on Spotify playlists. There is something to be said for knowing an album inside out and in the order it was intended and it's something I've lost from my music consumption in recent years.

I think the last time I listen to an album in full was when they (6 Music?) played the full Everything Must Go album one evening. I have it anyway plus I could easily Spotify it but since it was on the radio the temptation to skip was removed. Refreshing. Might try to do it more.

Think I'll start here
minimoog wrote: Leftfield's Rhythm and Stealth.

There's a track on that album that makes me think of Shinobi. Something about swords? I shan't google it, I'll just listen to it.
thekungfury

Post by Pigeon @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:19 pm

I always listen to whole albums. I don't regard them so much as collections of individual songs that happen to be put together, so much as being a complete work that has various differently named subsections. Of course, quite a few in my collection really are that, by intention of the musicians, but I tend to regard them all that way. I find it somewhat dead and chewed when someone else has on a song I recognise but it's on a "best of" rather than the original album and so the wrong song comes next.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by moleamol @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:37 pm

I often listen to albums end to end but Sigur Ros simply cannot be skipped under any circumstances. It's also pointless sticking one of their songs in the middle of a compilation.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by foo @ Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:06 pm

minimoog wrote:Leftfield's Rhythm and Stealth twice through. On cassette, motherfuckers.

Good choice, good medium, what tape deck? I did the whole of Leftism a few months ago so I've just put on RaS.

The last album was Bjork's Dancer in the Dark, there are some proper high-volume-required tracks on that, In the Musical particularly.

My most played album, that I always play all the way through, is Boards of Canada's Tomorrow's Harvest.
foo

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:27 am

I very rarely pick a single song out of this album.

Or this one.

Both work much better (esp. the second one) as complete albums.
CJ+

Post by Hooli @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Otto Sump wrote:
Greg66 wrote:I miss the way you knew, at the end of a song *exactly* how long the silence was and *exactly* why the opening notes of the next song were.

Yes. YES. This, exactly.

YES. That.

Most evenings tbh, we often have something like Led Zep on rather than TV & it works so much better as an album than individual songs. Last night was DSOTM, as it often is, never seems to age or become repetitive.
Last edited by Hooli on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:12 pm

I listened to Bill Withers best of last night whilst in the garage, not an album as such, I know.

Before that was probably a month or so ago, Come Find Yourself Fun Lovin' Criminals.

Mostly playlists though, these days.
Deuteronomy

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:I listened to Bill Withers best of last night whilst in the garage, not an album as such, I know.

Before that was probably a month or so ago, Come Find Yourself Fun Lovin' Criminals.

I listened to CFY by FLC on Tuesday aamof.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:I listened to Bill Withers best of last night whilst in the garage, not an album as such, I know.

I'm listening to 100% Colombian right now.

>fist bump<
Deuteronomy

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

>fist bump<

I am too now.

#UpOnTheHill
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

>fist bump<

I am too now.

#UpOnTheHill

#TheViewBelongsToEveryone - my favourite on that album
Deuteronomy

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

>fist bump<

I am too now.

#UpOnTheHill

#TheViewBelongsToEveryone - my favourite on that album

All my time has gone is mine, I think. Totally NYC-in-Winter music.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Return to Music Chat