Depeche Mode in Lisbon

We all love to talk about music.

Depeche Mode in Lisbon

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:22 am

That's what I did on Saturday night. And the Foo Fighters the night before and Royal Blood the night before that. At the NOS Alive festival.

DM were absolutely fcuking brilliant. One of the best live acts I have ever seen and Dave Gahan is an absolutely brilliant frontman. Like a tiny camp spiv wrapped in leather.

Foos were good but not surprising if you know what I mean? Royal Blood were unexpectedly good. Also saw The Kills who were a totally pedestrian rock-cliche and the XX who I can't remember at all.

That aside, I've not been on the extended lash like that since I was on tour with the band 15 years ago. It's a lot harder now and I think that DM were reassuringly as broken as I was by Saturday night and it felt quite nice to be in the company of people who had caned it harder than us over the years.

Go and see them, if you like them a all. The bassline of World in my Eyes through a massive festival sound system was just frightening.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Re: Depeche Mode in Lisbon

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:40 am

Goood.

I love Royal Blood atm btw.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Goood.

I have previously thought they were ok in a 'happy enough to listen but never bought their records' sort of way but live, they were off the scale so I suspect if you already love them, you'd REALLY love them if you caught a gig.

Incredible tone he gets out of just a bass.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:08 pm

By every available metric I should really like the Foos, but for some reason I just don't.

Sounds like a great lineup though and I always prefer festivals in foreign countries.
ttwiggy

Post by Monty @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm a huge DM fan (mid 80's - late 90's). Glad they delivered!

Royal Blood are on my radar, but I've not managed to persuade myself to buy an album...yet. Love the bass, although I'm certain there's a lot of electronic 'help' there.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Monty wrote:I'm a huge DM fan (mid 80's - late 90's). Glad they delivered!

Royal Blood are on my radar, but I've not managed to persuade myself to buy an album...yet. Love the bass, although I'm certain there's a lot of electronic 'help' there.

As far as I can make out he's basically just running it through a EH POG/Digitech Whammy (they're the only two I can think of) pedal which is pitch shifting him up an octave with the upper octave being then run through an overdrive and guitar amp. So clever, but still pretty organic, IYSWIM.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Monty @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Ah yes, I think you're right.
I was watching them at Glasto and knew that he couldn't possibly be playing the notes he was fingering on a 4 stringer. I really don't know what wizardry is available nowadays, but the shifting up an octave (or more) makes sense.
I'm all for it!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Monty wrote:Ah yes, I think you're right.
I was watching them at Glasto and knew that he couldn't possibly be playing the notes he was fingering on a 4 stringer. I really don't know what wizardry is available nowadays, but the shifting up an octave (or more) makes sense.
I'm all for it!

I'm pretty old skool with guitars. I get confused by too many pedal options so stick with tuner, overdrive and a bit of delay into a single channel amp. Any more and my brain can't focus on remembering the words and being insanely charismatic.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Monty @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 pm

No pedals for me, I just have a few things I can tweak on the amp...Chorus for example, which is fantastic for that 80's bass sound. 'Specially on a fretless...
Monty

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Monty wrote:No pedals for me, I just have a few things I can tweak on the amp...Chorus for example, which is fantastic for that 80's bass sound. 'Specially on a fretless...

Actually, now you say it, my delay pedal has chorus too. I only really use it to sound 80's as fcuk sometimes but I do heart it.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by minimoog @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:04 pm

POGs FTW!

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98JevO3AIA
minimoog

Post by Monty @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 pm

:like:
Monty

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:13 pm

ttwiggy wrote:By every available metric I should really like the Foos, but for some reason I just don't.

Yes me too, odd isn't it?
Deuteronomy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Goood.

I'm going to see them at Ally Pally later in the year!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Return to Music Chat