An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Post by Strawman @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 am

I've been obsessively playing WarThunder for ages now, don't judge me, shut up OK !!, it's quite repetitive but you fly ww2 planes and shoot other players. The further you go the more planes you unlock. There is a tank/vehicle version of the game too but that's less fun.
Strawman

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:24 am

Tetris. Get Tetris.

Oh. And Minecraft too.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
To help you, I like Tomb Raider and Halo. I also like some of the more interesting first person shooters, like Far Cry or Rage or Ghost Recon - but not COD things.

I like to think I like RPGs, but I didn't like Skyrim because it was so bloody boring. Is Witcher 3 any good/better?

Witcher 3 is excellent, and does everything right that Skyrim does wrong - engages you with the characters, has faces that aren't awful, is much more morally ambiguous (and your choices have real consequences, some of which you will not see coming). Thoroughly and unreservedly recommended. Also it looks absolutely astonishingly lovely.

Shooters?

The new Wolfenstein games are all excellent and, given that the gameplay is literally SHOOT ALL THE THINGS, remarkably empathetic and plot-driven. There are a couple of points in each game where it really does get you right in the feels.

I'm playing the absolute shit out of Destiny 2 right now. However, you'll only get the most out of this game if you play regularly with other people (and the same other people, not just internet randoms) otherwise it's a 4-6 hour single player campaign and then a load of frustratingly difficult multiplayer stuff where internet randoms do unhelpful things continuously.

Both of the new Deus Ex games (Human Revolution and Mankind Divided) are very strong single-player experiences. If I had to choose one it'd be Mankind Divided, because it doesn't have the daft boss battles of the first one.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 am

World of Tanks is fun and free. Multiplayer 15 v 15 game.

You can buy better tanks but if you spend the time (I cba) you can get everything for free.
thekungfury

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Trackmania : Nations (I believe it's free) is the only pc game I've played recently.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by stuart @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Witcher 3 is good, but the combat is weightless and floaty.

IT's the only thing that puts me off it, the card game in it called Gwent is better than most of the rest of the game.

I've been playing Hue lately, which is brilliant.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by S1K @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 pm

I love mini-games within games.

Red Dead Redemption had poker, horseshoes and the excellent Liar's Dice. Fallout New Vegas had Caravan and poker. Skyrim is sadly lacking in such a diversion though.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 pm

I've just remembered the game I've most enjoyed "recently" - Dishonoured. Perhaps I should get the sequel, which isn't available in the lowly 360, but is on PC?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Dishonored 2 is also vee gee.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

I considered many, many options for a game to put my new gaming laptop through its paces: Dishonoured 2, Mad Max, Fallout 4, Witcher3 - mostly open-world type stuff because I figured I could lose ages wanking about with all that. I even though about re-getting Skyrim to see if I could manage to find it not boring this time. I even started looking into vital mods to make Skyrim so devastatingly visually excellent that I might overlook its inherent actually awful tedium.

But in the end I got Fortnight Battle Royale and it's a bloody hoot. It's not taxing for my "rig" in any way and it's open world only in as much as you can run around where you want and there isn't really an on-rails plot. You know it, of course - it's a 100 player online last-man-standing battle royale with bizarre Minecraftian construction elements. I've only played it a few times but it's a lot of fun in that same old-school frenetic nonsense way that games used to be. I managed to come sixth (out of a hundred!!!1) this evening without even firing a single shot or killing anybody.

Also, it's free.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:48 pm

I’ve just looked up Fortnite. Seems fun.
thekungfury

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 am

CJ+ wrote:
I'm playing the absolute shit out of Destiny 2 right now. However, you'll only get the most out of this game if you play regularly with other people (and the same other people, not just internet randoms) otherwise it's a 4-6 hour single player campaign and then a load of frustratingly difficult multiplayer stuff where internet randoms do unhelpful things continuously.

As am I but I can't be bothered with all this crucible shit. Solo playing my way through it. It does get frustrating sometimes as you could do with some mates at points but you can get through it solo.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:16 am

Eh, I rarely bother with the Crucible. The co-op stuff is better (strikes etc)

ETA you absolutely cannot do the big raid (leviathan) solo. Nuh uh. No way. Ask me how I know :D
Last edited by CJ+ on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:17 pm

thekungfury wrote:I’ve just looked up Fortnite. Seems fun.

And it’s free!

Been playing Player Unknowns Battle Grounds - which is built on the Fortnite engine.

PUBG is insanely intense and addictive in a way Ive not experienced before - when you get to the last few players, I’m genuinely dealing with elevated heart rate and nerves. Ridiculous but amazing if you win! And the game is still in the development stage.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:51 am

I've been playing Fortnite a little bit more, but not all that much because I don't seem to have time to play as I'd like.

I'm playing it in the way I play most things - cautiously, sneakily, and as stealthily as I can - which means that now my best finish has been a 3rd at the weekend. Which I managed without either killing anybody or building anything: the two key play mechanics of the game.

So I suppose you could say I'm doing it wrong.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am

I'm now mildly interested in the new Gran Turismo 7 or 8 or whatever it is now....

Son got a wheel and stand for xmas and I got home before the family last night and had a go, it's sooooo much better with a steering wheel and pedals along with flappy paddles, the karts are ace, really get the feeling you're driving like you would.

Might sneak in a game again!
dirtyboy

Post by MelGibsonsElbow @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am

Another vote for PUBG here DT. It is a mighty fine game. Each round different to the last and many methods of success... do you choose sneaky sneaky stealth. Or do you go guns blazing like Rambo... so two. Two methods of success. But you can choose which one you do. You can also switch it up. Rambo for 5 minutes then cower in a bathroom in Polyana.

Anyway. Go play PUBG. Recommended.
Last edited by MelGibsonsElbow on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MelGibsonsElbow

Post by Revol @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 pm

dirtyboy wrote:I'm now mildly interested in the new Gran Turismo 7 or 8 or whatever it is now....

Son got a wheel and stand for xmas and I got home before the family last night and had a go, it's sooooo much better with a steering wheel and pedals along with flappy paddles, the karts are ace, really get the feeling you're driving like you would.

Might sneak in a game again!

I came this close <hildsfingerscentimeterapart> to getting a wheel, shifter and pedal set in the January sales at pc world.
Then I realised I have no real time to play, or a stand for more ££££, so I didn't.

Enjoying Gran Turismo Sport with the pad though. Did a fab one make 10 lap race at suzuka last night in an Rx7. 16th on grid to second. Just couldn't quite catch 1st place.
Revol

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:51 pm

I got a PS4 with Uncharted 4 for Christmas. It’s actually brilliant and I love video games again. I’m playing it on easy and it’s basically like playing a really long, good Indiana Jones film.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Disastrous wrote:I got a PS4 with Uncharted 4 for Christmas. It’s actually brilliant and I love video games again. I’m playing it on easy and it’s basically like playing a really long, good Indiana Jones film.
I'm mildly envious because I love the idea of the Uncharted games. But I haven't had a PlayStation since the very first one, and I barely find time to play anything anyway.

A shame! I love gaming, but life has well and truly gone the other way.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I got a PS4 with Uncharted 4 for Christmas. It’s actually brilliant and I love video games again. I’m playing it on easy and it’s basically like playing a really long, good Indiana Jones film.
I'm mildly envious because I love the idea of the Uncharted games. But I haven't had a PlayStation since the very first one, and I barely find time to play anything anyway.

I live in the middle of nowhere now so don’t have any friends or things to do any more.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

I live in the middle of nowhere now so don’t have any friends or things to do any more.
Come down here and we'll go to the pub and play games. And I'll make you watch terrible films. Alright?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Revol @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 pm

You'll just have to get a PS4 then DaTho, we can all play online, like virtual mates in a virtual pub.
Or something.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Good idea!

I can spare forty quid, does that work?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Laugh. I wondered how you’d be adjusting.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Laugh!

Also, I envy you. I absolutely love it when you're into a game and always have that world to dip into. I loved GTAV and played it every time Mr Span went out. We moved into this current house a few months before spanlet was born and my poor PS3 hasn't even been plugged in yet.

I think I'm reduced to waiting until spanlet's old enough to play Wii and it can be a Family Activity. And when can a child start playing GTAV?? Probably not for ages!!
span

Post by stuart @ Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm

span wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Laugh!

Also, I envy you. I absolutely love it when you're into a game and always have that world to dip into. I loved GTAV and played it every time Mr Span went out. We moved into this current house a few months before spanlet was born and my poor PS3 hasn't even been plugged in yet.

I think I'm reduced to waiting until spanlet's old enough to play Wii and it can be a Family Activity. And when can a child start playing GTAV?? Probably not for ages!!

See if you can get the JW playing some GTAV with you?
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Yeah make him kill a prostitute. Film it and you’ll go viral.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm

thekungfury wrote:Yeah make him kill a prostitute. Film it and you’ll go viral.

Eyeroll. Just like in real life, you don't HAVE to kill a prostitute, you just CAN kill a prostitute. It's an option.

It's hardly GTAV's fault you're obsessed with killing prostitutes Teeks.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Same here :(
Doctor Congo

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets