What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by S1K @ Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:02 pm

The Deer Hunter is a very good film with a fantastic cast, and a film that stands out as not standing a hope in hell of being made in Hollywood today.
S1K

Post by stuart @ Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Day of the dead bloodlines

Irredeemable pile of stinking garbage.

Maybe the worst acting I've seen in any film. Terrible writing, terrible plot.

Absolutely nothing positive to say about this. Appaling.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Eddie Strohacker @ Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 pm

John Cazale was dying of cancer during the production of the Deer hunter & his scenes were rearranged to be shot first because of it. I only found this out last year & it's even more poignant to me now. He died before the film was finished & I'm sure you can see it in everyone's performances.
Eddie Strohacker

Post by WD40 @ Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 am

Eddie Strohacker wrote:John Cazale was dying of cancer during the production of the Deer hunter & his scenes were rearranged to be shot first because of it. I only found this out last year & it's even more poignant to me now. He died before the film was finished & I'm sure you can see it in everyone's performances.

Apparently that's how Meryl Streep ended up in one of her earliest roles, she was his girlfriend at the time and took the role just so she could be with him as he worked literally right up to his death on that film.
WD40

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am

Annihilation - a Netflix alien film starring Natalie Portman and directed by Alex Garland of 28 Days Later and Ex-Machina. It’s a good plot with some cool twists in the story but ultimately I found the ending a tad disappointing. It’s also a bit self indulgent and desperately wants to be intellectual (so more Ex-M than 28D) but fails to quite hit the mark imo.

There are some nice touches and clues throughout the film which aren’t expressly shown in a Hollywood “This bit is important!” way and all the better for it as it demands your attention.

I’d say it was watchably good with the missed potential of being great. 6.7
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 am

A triple bill of Werner Herzog films starring Klaus Kinski.
Aguirre the wrath of God - A group of Spanish conquistadors and their entourage set off in search of El Dorado the famed city of gold. Things go badly. Some reviewers say this is Herzog's best film but felt a bit flat to me, released in 1972 and mostly set on a raft floating down a river it must have influenced Apocalypse now. 7/10
Cobra Verde - This is the best of the three, set around the slave trade for the sugar plantations as that was coming to an end (circa 1810?), this is batshit mental while remaining believable, has many striking images and a camera gaze which doesn't pity. 9/10
Noseferatu phantom der nacht - a remake of the 1922 original, sort of, kind of weird mix of hammer house of horror and German expressionism, the best part is the slow tracking shots of mummified corpses at the beginning. 5/10
Strawman

Post by Eddie Strohacker @ Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:53 pm

What we do in the shadows. Vampire mockumentary made by the Flight of the Conchords guys. I had no real expectations of this but was chuckling along all the way through. The conceit is four vampire friends house sharing in Wellington (Vellington) & trying to get to grips with the modern world whilst killing people & drinking their blood. Bloody 7/10.
Eddie Strohacker

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 am

Eddie Strohacker wrote:What we do in the shadows. Vampire mockumentary made by the Flight of the Conchords guys. I had no real expectations of this but was chuckling along all the way through. The conceit is four vampire friends house sharing in Wellington (Vellington) & trying to get to grips with the modern world whilst killing people & drinking their blood. Bloody 7/10.

Is this on netflix?
Deuteronomy

Post by stuart @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Eddie Strohacker wrote:What we do in the shadows. Vampire mockumentary made by the Flight of the Conchords guys. I had no real expectations of this but was chuckling along all the way through. The conceit is four vampire friends house sharing in Wellington (Vellington) & trying to get to grips with the modern world whilst killing people & drinking their blood. Bloody 7/10.

Is this on netflix?

Used to be, think it was removed.
stuart

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 am

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

This was fine, motherfcukery and stupid and puerile and violent. Like Deadpool with all the superheroics rinsed away, and not as automatically terrible as yet another Samuel L Jackson defaulting to sweary Samuel L Jackson ought to be. 5.9
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Eddie Strohacker @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 am

Deuteronomy wrote:

Is this on netflix?

No idea. I recorded it off BBC2 months ago & Finally got round to it. Worth seeing just for Petyr, the 8000 year old vampire alone.

Also saw Straight outta Compton yesterday, for the Sunday family movie slot... One of those films you'd only see if you were into the music at the time & I was. Pretty sympathetic telling of the NWA story & I've waited my whole life for a Hollywood film that opens with Roy Ayers & then piles into Al Naafiysh. Like I say, one for the fans.
Eddie Strohacker

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 am

Damien Thorn wrote:The Hitman's Bodyguard.

This was fine, motherfcukery and stupid and puerile and violent. Like Deadpool with all the superheroics rinsed away, and not as automatically terrible as yet another Samuel L Jackson defaulting to sweary Samuel L Jackson ought to be. 5.9

I found it to be OK.

SLJ turns 70 this year. Which means he's 69 at the moment.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:The Hitman's Bodyguard.

I found it to be OK.

SLJ turns 70 this year. Which means he's 69 at the moment.

I'd agree, It was entertaining enough - I'd be a touch more generous than Damo and give it a 6.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Will is a man struggling to come to terms with a personal tragedy, invited with his girlfriend to a dinner party reunion with his ex-wife and her new husband. He hasn't seen his wife for two years, since the terrible emotional ramifications of what happened drove them apart and left them dealing with their grief in very different ways. The Invitation is the story of the evening, and how the dinner party unfolds in unexpected ways.

I won't say any more about the film's events, because a large part of the joy of watching it is in the horribly ratcheting tension between the haunted and unravelling Will, and his uncomfortably happy ex-wife Eden and her new man. Although describing it as a joy might be slightly disingenuous, as the film almost paralysed me with creeping dread at the escalating awkwardness and inevitable explosion of something as tempers fray and revelations come to light.

I really liked The Invitation. It is deliberate and painstakingly-paced and carried by a raft of excellent subtle performances. Please watch it, and make sure you know nothing about it before you do.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Sounds good but....is it a normal film or a surprise zombie one?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm

No zombies, just people. But surprises.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm

I Ann prepared to give it a go nowthen. Will report back.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by deev @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 pm

The wrestler, Id seen it before but the missus hadnt. Id forgotten how good it is, Rourke is brilliant as a broken down ex wrestler down on his luck and yearning for days gone by when he was big news, kinda like Rourke a bit. Brilliant, very non Hollywood ending too. Ties in well to the old "Beyond the Mat" wrestling documentary too, in particular the section about the life of Jake "The Snake" Roberts, if you fancy it give it a watch it's on youtube these days, fascinating behind the scenes and what goes on away from the bright lights of the WWE.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Turntable @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Ha! I rank that as one of the most tedious stinking pile of shit films I have ever seen with not a single redeeming feature!
Even the synopsis makes me catatonic.
How anyone thought rourke was good in it when his plastic mask-face does not move at all even once in the whole film is beyond me.
Also definitely the most cliched predictable film ever made.
It is genuinely in the bottom 3 films of all time for me and I wouldn’t be able to find a reason to stretch to 1/10. Maybe half out of ten for those tits
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Spotlight. Powerful and well acted. Worthy without being preachy. V good. 7.7

I really like Michael Keaton. It’s a shame he’ll forever be remembered as a shit Batman.
thekungfury

Post by stuart @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:05 am

The keaton batman film was great...
stuart

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 am

stuart wrote:The keaton batman film was great...
There were two.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 am

stuart wrote:The keaton batman film was great...

Thanks to Nicholson and De Vito.

Keaton was better than Kilmer.
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:23 am

Has any Batman film been worse than Batman And Robin with George Clooney?
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Will is a man struggling to come to terms with a personal tragedy, invited with his girlfriend to a dinner party reunion with his ex-wife and her new husband. He hasn't seen his wife for two years, since the terrible emotional ramifications of what happened drove them apart and left them dealing with their grief in very different ways. The Invitation is the story of the evening, and how the dinner party unfolds in unexpected ways.

I won't say any more about the film's events, because a large part of the joy of watching it is in the horribly ratcheting tension between the haunted and unravelling Will, and his uncomfortably happy ex-wife Eden and her new man. Although describing it as a joy might be slightly disingenuous, as the film almost paralysed me with creeping dread at the escalating awkwardness and inevitable explosion of something as tempers fray and revelations come to light.

I really liked The Invitation. It is deliberate and painstakingly-paced and carried by a raft of excellent subtle performances. Please watch it, and make sure you know nothing about it before you do.

I think I'll write my review in the morning on this.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by stuart @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Hungerford and its sequel darkest Dawn.

Both are really low budget British Scifi. They don't look terrible considering how low budget they are, I read that darkest Dawn budget was £40k. The premise is found footage format of people trying to survive an alien invasion. Darkest Dawn is the better of the two but both are well worth watching.
stuart

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Will is a man struggling to come to terms with a personal tragedy, invited with his girlfriend to a dinner party reunion with his ex-wife and her new husband. He hasn't seen his wife for two years, since the terrible emotional ramifications of what happened drove them apart and left them dealing with their grief in very different ways. The Invitation is the story of the evening, and how the dinner party unfolds in unexpected ways.

Uh oh.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:05 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

Uh oh.

Well I've mellowed over night but didn't quite see it in the same light as you. I spent the first 30 minutes hovering over the stop button as it's a slow burner but sat it out.

I found it a fairly predictable plot, other than the red lanterns everywhere at the end (which only served to annoy me - logistically impossible to coordinate that!), that didn't really deliver much on the build up to the big reveal. Weak characters, other than the lead who was great, in a very strange environment that just didn't play out as it would have.
I'd give it 3.7/10 I think. Despite your comment, I was expecting zombies or vampires to leap out at one point!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 am

Oh well!

I found it quite unpredictable, other than a couple of developments (including the pivotal bit at the meal itself, as it happens - but by that point the film had played quite a bit of its hand).
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh well!

I found it quite unpredictable, other than a couple of developments (including the pivotal bit at the meal itself, as it happens - but by that point the film had played quite a bit of its hand).

I wonder if I'd have liked it more if you'd not been so positive. We'll never know!
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club