What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am

We never will!

Although I'm usually quite negative or low-account about even films that are quite alright, so in this case I really thought it deserved stronger praise.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:13 am

We watched 'I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House' last night. It came on to Netflix last year and has stayed a bit below the radar. Very slow burn 'traditional' ghost story that somehow manages to be very scary despite not much really happening. Unnerving 7.5/10.
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 am

Saw Marvel Infinity tonight.

Thoughts later but if you like Marvel stuff you must see it. Mind blown.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by billybob69 @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:12 am

Kodachrome, pretty good.
billybob69

Post by stuart @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 pm

billybob69 wrote:Kodachrome, pretty good.

Came to post this, loved it.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:29 pm

stuart wrote:
billybob69 wrote:Kodachrome, pretty good.

Came to post this, loved it.
Almost watched this yesterday, but went for Small Crimes instead - which was a superbly understated thriller. A crime tihrller, obv, about the impossibility of escaping from a life of crime even after you've done your time.

Sorry nnk.

And then also Beyond Skyline, the sequel to Skyline (which worked for me even though the rest of the universe hated it - because the whole thing felt like a massive CGI cut-scene before you start playing a scifi FPS computer game.)

Beyond is more of the same but worse/bigger/stupider - with added martial arts from Silat-monkey Iko Uwais off of The Raid.

Good, bad and indifferent all at the same time. A massive disappointment and a thrilling adventure all at once, but in the end, actually a bit rubbish; failing to capitalise on any of its strengths and not playing the ace with its brazen ludicrousness, it sort of wobbled along promising to be excellent but never getting around to it.

A shame.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by deev @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 pm

thekungfury wrote:Saw Marvel Infinity tonight.

It was ace! So many in jokes and wee bits tidied up too. So so so much better than that turd of a Star Wars movie they shat out earlier.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:07 pm

deev wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Saw Marvel Infinity tonight.

It was ace! So many in jokes and wee bits tidied up too. So so so much better than that turd of a Star Wars movie they shat out earlier.

Absolutely loved it. Genuinely hilarious in places. The Thor/Star Lord scenes were excellent. Devoting that much screen time to Drax being “invisible” was inspired.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • I did NOT see the ending coming. Super heroes are heroes and they win. Everyone in the cinema just sat in silence when it ended mouthing “wait, what?”

The disappointing thing is they’ll basically fudge it all and bring them back. Forgetting Guardians, Spiderman, Loki and Strange being dead, there is no way on earth they’re killing off Wakanda this quickly.

The time infinity stone will just reverse everything.
Last edited by thekungfury on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:49 pm

Saw Infinity War yesterday and loved it, but then I am a big sucker for those films. The kids loved it so much they went back to see it again today.

• I was pretty sure it would end like that, simply because being a comic geek I bought the Infinity Gauntlet comics when they first came out. Like Game of Thrones, the films are based on but different to the written work, but some of the basic themes are the same. One big difference is that in the comics the saviour is a character called Adam Warlock, who is in the casket thing seen in the Easter egg right at the end of GOTG2. But not having been introduced so far, I can’t seem him playing much part in Avengers 4.

Not sure it will be quite as easy as turning back time: they have to get the time stone off Thanos first, and then have to have someone who can use it. And in the Doc Strange film, one thing emphasized about using it is that doing so has a price of some sort.

But it is undoubtedly an impressive piece of storytelling, spread across (I think) 22 movies by the time Avengers 4 comes out. According to something I read yesterday, that film will mark the end of this narrative, and the films going forward after that will portray a very different MCU. Make of that what you will, given the general levels of misdirection Marvel have become very good at.
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 am

• But Greg you’re thinking like a comic fan, not a money man. There is no way Hollywood kills off their golden geese of Black Panther, recently rebooted Spiderman or Guardians.

One theory a friend has was to look at who is left. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk. They’ve all had multiple films and they’ve pretty much run their course. He reckons there will be a scenario where they swap positions in the next film, ie sacrifice themselves to bring the others back.
Last edited by thekungfury on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Post by Baby Huey @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:07 am

The Asphyx.

1970s British horror set in Victorian times about how being immortal isn't all it's cracked up to be.

On YouTube.
Baby Huey

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:19 pm

thekungfury wrote:
    • But Greg you’re thinking like a comic fan, not a money man. There is no way Hollywood kills off their golden geese of Black Panther, recently rebooted Spiderman or Guardians.

One theory a friend has was to look at who is left. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk. They’ve all had multiple films and they’ve pretty much run their course. He reckons there will be a scenario where they swap positions in the next film, ie sacrifice themselves to bring the others back.

• I could see some or all of those four leaving the franchise. Bucky is a candidate to take Cap’s shield and the super smart girl in Wakanda I could see as the new Iron Woman.

Marvel have acquired from Fox the rights to X Men, Deadpool and the FF. So perhaps the emphasis post Avengers 4 will shift to them, them being somehow brought into existence from othertime lines at the same time Thanos’s extinction is undone
Greg66

Post by deev @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 pm

• Red Skull popping up to play gatekeeper was awesome, Hugo Weavings been giving it the old "I have no interest in returning" for years now and I wasn't expecting that at all. I think either Cap or Tony buy the farm at the end.

I was a bit puzzled by Genuine super magic mega superpeople Scarlet and Vision getting pasted around Edin-bo-row but then getting saved by a dude on roids, a lady with no powers at all and a man with metal wings. Still, was cool seeing Embra on the big screen

Also, how annoyed must Scarlet Jo be? She's never gotten her own film out of this, essentially has no cool powers and now Cap Marv is going to come along and steal all the empowered lady thing from her
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Strawman @ Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 am

The most disappointing thing about Infinity wars was they had Star Man in a room with tony stark and dr. strange and they didn't give him a "no shit, sherlocks" throwaway line.
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm

The weather this weekend has been glorious. But I’ve been working and cracking the whip over 66 Major and her revision (the other one has been at a crammer all long weekend).

So to salvage something from this cluaterfuck I have taken myself off to watch IW again. Now. Right now. I had an odd sense of righteousness as I drove past the thousands of people on Clapham Common enjoying the sunshine. Ha! Losers! I’ve got an afternoon in a cool dark room ahead of me, whereas you’ve got sunburn to look forward to! Mwahahaha!
Greg66

Post by Strawman @ Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Greg66 wrote: as I drove past the thousands of people on Clapham Common enjoying the sunshine.

I drove past there about 6pm, you aren't exaggerating there were literally thousands there, looked like the start of a zombie flick, before they become too zombified.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 08, 2018 9:12 am

Two more for you:

Horns, a dark fantastical horrory thriller about a young man facing accusations that he murdered his beloved girlfriend. And how he undergoes certain peculiar changes that allow him to investigate the truth.

It starts Daniel Radcliffe, trying very very hard to get away from Harry Potter.

More tellingly, it's directed by Alexandre Aja, who has given us High Tension (shockingly brutal), Piranha (shockingly brutal) and The Hills Have Eyes (shockingly brutal), among other things. Horns has the feel of something that keeps holding back slightly from being shockingly brutal. It still has moments if violence and trauma and horror, but it seemed as though it would have liked to do more.

And interestingly (?) enough, when I checked I discovered that some shocking brutality had been ruined away to allow for the 15 rating Horns had.

Anyway, I liked it. It was intriguing and odd and bizarrely fascinating. I only meant to watch a bit of it and then go to bed, but I ended up watching it all and making myself late.

Also, Killer Mermaid - which I will tell you about later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun May 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Well. Instead of trying you about Killer Mermaid at the moment, I will say I just went to see Infinity War with my son and was amazed at how they managed to fit about four film's worth of narrative into "only" two and a half hours without it feeling as though everything small and interesting that didn't have a direct plot impetus was squeezed out or rushed past.

Terrifically good and genuinely surprising entertainment and exactly what blockbuster cinema spectacle should be. The ending fitted perfectly.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon May 14, 2018 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun May 13, 2018 3:09 pm

And also OtherLife, yesterday - about time-distorting perception software that rewrites brain code. It had a fun Russian doll-esque jigsaw of twists that feinted one way before plunging the other, which I liked a lot.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Sun May 13, 2018 11:35 pm

The Post. As someone who grew up with Lou Grant, I loved this.

It was slightly marred by Spielberg’s rather too clumsy attempts to force the point that thi is all relevant now and some of the more thought provoking stuff could have been laid on quite a bit thicker, but nonetheless it works, and both in the current climate and the current competition is well worth a watch.

8.9/10
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 14, 2018 8:38 am

Oh, infinity war, right?

In the end credits scene:

• I had to resort to the internet to find out what the symbol on Fury's communicator represented, and now I know he was calling Captain Marvel - presumably for help.

Two questions: why wasn't he calling the Avengers? He doesn't know what's happened to them.

Secondly, if he knows Captain Marvel and is calling her for help, where has she been for the whole of the Marvel film universe until now?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon May 14, 2018 8:50 am

Batman V's Superman

I watched this last night, the 3 hour extended addition and I thought it was good fun. Perhaps it had extra bits that made it more cohesive, but I don't think it was deserving of the drubbing it got on release.

Logan Lucky

Boring, never seemed to get any pace and all the characters lacked any depth, Daniel Craig was okay though.

Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 am

I watched Blade Runner the other day. The new one.
I really liked it but not as much as some here.
7.5/10 for me.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh, infinity war, right?

In the end credits scene:

• I had to resort to the internet to find out what the symbol on Fury's communicator represented, and now I know he was calling Captain Marvel - presumably for help.

Two questions: why wasn't he calling the Avengers? He doesn't know what's happened to them.

Secondly, if he knows Captain Marvel and is calling her for help, where has she been for the whole of the Marvel film universe until now?

• 1. Because we know they’re either dead or on different planets without mobile reception. This is something that annoys me about film/tv. When the characters who have no way of knowing something do something based upon us knowing it.

2. Because Hollywood. You’ve got to always leave them wanting more. But you know this already.

From what I’ve read she is the baddest baddass and more powerful than the rest of the Avengers combined. She could have rocked up in the first uppercase Assemble and won without them needing to lowercase assemble

I read something about Drax the other day. The script had the dialogue: Starlord “Where is Gamora?”. Ironman “I can do you one better, who is Gamora?” then the actor who plays Drax ad-libbed “I can do better still, why is Gamora?” and they kept it in the film.
Last edited by thekungfury on Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

I am reluctant to mention this as I know nobody will watch it but on amazon prime I highly recommend a documentary called "I will be murdered"
The background to the story is that in 2009 a respected lawyer in Guatemala was assassinated outside his house. At his funeral, his friend revealed a video he had made just before his death with the opening lines "If you are watching this, unfortunately I have been murdered by President Whateverhisnameis ..." and a long heartfelt speech about corruption, violence and how the people should stop accepting that it is normal etc.
The video became international front page news and there followed huge demonstrations all across the country demanding the resignation of the president.
The president denied any wrongdoing and invited a UN investigation team in with full powers and the documentary follows the investigation.
Absolutely fascinating stuff and, despite some of the interviews being sub titled, it is full of intriguing characters and a quick paced easy watch. If you like true-crime programmes it is basically a very good and fascinating one of those with a really good ending that I wont spoil.
Just one person watch it please.
8/10
Turntable

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am

I'll watch it.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am

Thank you
Turntable

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 am

Midnight Special. Michael Shannon (always excellent) is a man who seemingly abducts a young boy from a religious cult, and is pursued both by the authorities and cult members who believe the boy has spiritual powers.

The film starts with several shifting narrative perspectives, which feels instantly immersive but baffling. Gradually you can discern the building blocks behind what you're seeing, but then just as the story is becoming intriguing and you want it to feed you tantalising mini-reveals, it shows you all its cards at once.

Revelations that feel as though they ought to be final act twists are peppered throughout, which wrong-footed my expectations and I'm not sure still whether that made me like the film more, or less.

Either way, I did like it and will number it as a 5.9
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dr Wolff @ Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 am

Avengers thingy. Had to take Wolff Minimus as a treat. Truly bum numbing. Even though my son knew something was going to happen in the credits (I didn't), when I got up to leave, he followed.
It lacked any real spark and I notice there are absolutely no decent female roles in the film. Scarlet has about three words, and by the time I remembered who Stark's girlfriend was, she'd gone. Stark was even devoid of any clever one liners.
I should have learned after the black panther film. Never again
Dr Wolff

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 am

Three over the weekend:

Cargo. A man wanders the Australian outback in the midst of a terrible outbreak, trying to find a safe haven for the baby daughter he carries on his back. The man is played by Martin Freeman, for whatever baffling reason, and he is almost the entirety of what makes this film worth watching. He's terrific, but everything around him is a bit dreary and obvious and failed to really hold my attention. 4.8

Wolf Warrior 2: I haven't seen Wolf Warrior 1, and probably neither have you. But I can't imagine that makes much difference, as this is a Chinese action film where a disgraced ex-Special Forces soldier punches and shoots his way around a civil war-torn African nation, trying to help doctors and children and humble factory workers. There's a brutal warlord and his American mercenary cohort, and explosions and kickfighting and tanks. It was quite fun, and the action was exciting, but it veered wildly between gleeful Jackie Chan-ing and sombre grimness. There was creative clever fighting using found objects, but there was also cgi dismemberment at the hands of high calibre machine guns. 5.4

And finally, Solo: Which is the Han Solo Star Wars back story literally nobody was clamouring to see told. I was utterly underwhelmed when I heard this was coming, and as trailers dribbled out I was filled with trepidation. But I'd convinced myself most recently that it might not be rubbish, in spite of the revolving door of directors and doom-mongering about the lad playing Solo being utterly unlike Harrison Ford in all ways.

But it was really fun. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to, it was light-hearted and capery and thrilling and t was an absolute blessing to not have to wade through any dreary soul-searching Force business. No Jedi, no lightsabres. Just blasters and space ships and a wry feel like a modern Flash Gordon or something. I liked it much more than Rogue One, and a bit more than The Last Jedi, I think. 6.3
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club